It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Heart Disorders Message Board

  • Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs)

  • Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 11-29-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
    filly1
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: USA
    Posts: 115
    filly1 HB User
    Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs)

    I am a 75 year old woman with a history of a-fib (one severe episode in 2017) after a diagnosis of sepsis. in any event, in the past two weeks i have had on and off episodes of 'skipped beats"- a few days ago i went to my PCP to get an ECG which showed PACs--- i had hoped these would just go away but i find that they just keep coming back. I guess I will put on a Holter Monitor (if i can stand keeping it on for too long)---- I do not have any underlying heart disease that I know of ( no CHF, no history of heart attacks), but these episodes are very disconcerting and uncomfortable. I have read that absent underlying heart disease these PACs are not considered life threatening but as I said they really are uncomfortable and they upset me. Does anyone else have these? how do you handle it? do you take medication and if so what do you take and does the medication work to stop the PACs--- any info would be helpful. Thank you
    in advance.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 02-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Fort Laud
    Posts: 4,274
    Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs)

    Hi filly!

    I noticed that you haven't gotten any responses yet, so I figured I'd respond to you.

    First of all, we are both effected with the exact same affliction! We are both 75!

    I've had heart skips, and extra heartbeats and heart pauses and PVCs and PACs and tachycardia for over 50 years. I am currently on two extremely low doses of two heart medications, .045mg of digoxin, once a day, to prevent tachycardia and 6.25mg, once a day, of coreg to reduce stress on my heart.

    Aside from that, to keep my heart as calm as possible, I avoid caffeine in things like coffee, tea and chocolate. I significantly limit my high glycemic carbs and keep a balanced diet of six low calorie, high fiber meals per day. I also avoid chemicals. We use very few chemicals in our home, mostly dish detergent for everything!

    Pollen and other allergens can also cause one's heart to misfire. But... It's difficult to avoid allergens.

    Having one's heart misfire isn't necessarily a sign of heart disease but it can be a sign that our heart's electrical system has just gotten a little sensitive, especially during our golden ages!

    Best of luck and health! Bob
    __________________
    ⇒ Age 76, Heart Failure AFib Diabetes2 diagnosed in 1987, now very healthy!
    ⇒ For my asthma medication I use $6 fluticasone nasal spray BID! Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    ⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
    filly1
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: USA
    Posts: 115
    filly1 HB User
    Re: Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    Hi filly!

    I noticed that you haven't gotten any responses yet, so I figured I'd respond to you.

    First of all, we are both effected with the exact same affliction! We are both 75!

    I've had heart skips, and extra heartbeats and heart pauses and PVCs and PACs and tachycardia for over 50 years. I am currently on two extremely low doses of two heart medications, .045mg of digoxin, once a day, to prevent tachycardia and 6.25mg, once a day, of coreg to reduce stress on my heart.

    Aside from that, to keep my heart as calm as possible, I avoid caffeine in things like coffee, tea and chocolate. I significantly limit my high glycemic carbs and keep a balanced diet of six low calorie, high fiber meals per day. I also avoid chemicals. We use very few chemicals in our home, mostly dish detergent for everything!

    Pollen and other allergens can also cause one's heart to misfire. But... It's difficult to avoid allergens.

    Having one's heart misfire isn't necessarily a sign of heart disease but it can be a sign that our heart's electrical system has just gotten a little sensitive, especially during our golden ages!

    Best of luck and health! Bob
    Thank you for your response: Since I posted in January the PACs went away to be replaced by a rapid heart rate, which went away as well. Wow I can't believe you have had these heart issues for 50 years- well, at least you are on a low dose of meds that hopefully provide some measure of control.

    I have severe allergies too: I use no cleaning products-- no chemicals-- you know what cracks me up? those ads for Febreeze or Airwick-- geez Louise, those products are nothing but toxic chemicals!

    I am now being evaluated for shortness of breath- I have some pulmonary nodules- have had them for years--- just had a CAT scan of my chest and am waiting for results- kind of nerve wracking-----Also will have an echocardiogram tomorrow: they have to rule out congestive heart failure---although I have no swelling of my ankles or legs. This getting old thing kinda sucks but the alternative is a whole lot worse.

    Thanks again-- nice talkin' to ya

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Fort Laud
    Posts: 4,274
    Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filly1 View Post
    I have severe allergies too: I use no cleaning products-- no chemicals-- you know what cracks me up? those ads for Febreeze or Airwick-- geez Louise, those products are nothing but toxic chemicals!
    There are thousands of different chemicals in our daily lives that have never been tested for their long term effects on humans, or if their constant use is harmful.

    Quote:
    I am now being evaluated for shortness of breath- I have some pulmonary nodules- have had them for years--- just had a CAT scan of my chest and am waiting for results- kind of nerve wracking-----Also will have an echocardiogram tomorrow: they have to rule out congestive heart failure---
    Good luck with your CAT scan and your echo! I hope everything turns out to be very minor!

    Speaking of chemicals, I attribute my recovery from heart failure, in part, to avoiding chemicals, and odors, and other "triggers" that harm my heart by over-stimulating my adrenals. Coreg has also been very beneficial at calming my adrenals.

    Quote:
    although I have no swelling of my ankles or legs. This getting old thing kinda sucks but the alternative is a whole lot worse.
    Good news about the lack of swelling! Lack of swelling, at our age, also means that you are on a very healthy diet, IMHO! Nice!

    I judge my recovery by the absence of shortness of breath, before, during or after exercising or hard physical work. I used to get shortness of breath after doing any physical activity, no matter how minor.

    Quote:
    Thanks again-- nice talkin' to ya
    It was my pleasure.

    Once again, best of luck tomorrow! Take care... Bob
    __________________
    ⇒ Age 76, Heart Failure AFib Diabetes2 diagnosed in 1987, now very healthy!
    ⇒ For my asthma medication I use $6 fluticasone nasal spray BID! Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    ⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
    janld
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: Birmingham, AL USA
    Posts: 71
    janld HB User
    Re: Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs)

    I had a bad episode of afib about 20 years ago. Spent one night in hospital after they got my heart back in sinc. Since January 2020 when they doctor took me off the drug I had taken for 20 years and done well, I have had episodes of afib and flutters about 2 a week with some lasting 3/4 hours. I have changed doctors and the current one has me on a monitor for 30 days then an echo...that is in 3 more weeks. It is nerve wracking to have your heart skip beats, flutter, etc. Has your situation improved. Would love to hear from you. janet davis

     
    Reply With Quote
    Reply Reply




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!