It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• nadolol to metropolol

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-03-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
    andrews
    (female)

andrews HB User
    nadolol to metropolol

my cardiologist has suggested I switch from nadolol to metroprolol to help with my never-ending PVCs. I have been on Nadolol for 20 years and have had to incrementally up the dosages every seven or eight years to help with the PVCs. At this point he no longer thinks the Nadolol works. My question is he's switching me to another beta blocker, seriously?. I can't imagine another beta blocker doing anything better for my PVCs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: nadolol to metropolol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrews View Post
    my cardiologist has suggested I switch from nadolol to metroprolol to help with my never-ending PVCs.
    He is switching you from a non-selective, more functional beta blocker to a less functional selective beta blocker. Puzzling but he is the doc! My favorite beta blocker is non-selective Carvedilol. I consider it a miracle medication, but that is just my non-professional opinion!

How are your blood sugar levels, when fasting and two hours after a meal? If our body's handling of insulin and blood sugar is somewhat dysfunctional, it can cause heart rhythm and heart beat problems.

13 years between posts! Welcome back!

Regards, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
    andrews
    (female)

andrews HB User

Hi Bob... thx for the reply... blood sugar levels have been higher than normal... A1C is 5.7. fasting blood sugar is 103. non fasting 130... non fasting triglyerides 300... cardiologist didn't say anything about that... other electrophysiologist mentioned Dilitizem...and also Mexilitine. I'm all over the place...

Old 10-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrews View Post
    ... A1C is 5.7. fasting blood sugar is 103. non fasting 130... non fasting triglyerides 300...
    Have any of your doctors mentioned Insulin Resistance or Metabolic Syndrome? We love to eat what we love to eat! My diet, which some would consider extreme, is six high fiber, small calorie, limited carb meals. I had no choice because I was very VERY sick with heart failure, diabetes and persistent atrial fibrillation and Metabolic Syndrome. Fortunately, I learned the power of a healthy diet! Proper diet is the most powerful, most healthy medication that we can take!

Have your doctors ever mentioned reducing your carbs? If so, you might not have to go nuts, like I did, but you might consider reducing the amount of carbs, especially snacks, pasta, potatoes or rice, which are the fast acting carbs that can overload one's metabolism's ability to handle blood sugar.

At any rate... my two cents!

Take care... Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
    andrews
    (female)

andrews HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    Have any of your doctors mentioned Insulin Resistance or Metabolic Syndrome? We love to eat what we love to eat! My diet, which some would consider extreme, is six high fiber, small calorie, limited carb meals. I had no choice because I was very VERY sick with heart failure, diabetes and persistent atrial fibrillation and Metabolic Syndrome. Fortunately, I learned the power of a healthy diet! Proper diet is the most powerful, most healthy medication that we can take!

Have your doctors ever mentioned reducing your carbs? If so, you might not have to go nuts, like I did, but you might consider reducing the amount of carbs, especially snacks, pasta, potatoes or rice, which are the fast acting carbs that can overload one's metabolism's ability to handle blood sugar.

At any rate... my two cents!

Take care... Bob
    Thanks Bob... yes when this all "re-started" up again in March I reduced sugar and carbs from my diet. I added magnesium taurate and increased my nadolol another 20mg.. I had some success initially but it has gotten worse since September. I've had all the usual protocol (echo stress, 2 week monitor, etc) all normal other than benign pacs/pvcs. (about 400 ectopics per day)... I was told by my GP that I'm borderline type 2 diabetic.. my cardiologist doesn't see it.. thx for your reply...

Reply Reply