It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Afib meds and triggers

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
    MisterBaseball6
    (male)

MisterBaseball6 HB User
    Afib meds and triggers

Im 73, Had aflutter in 2017. Took diltiazem(180), flecainide(100) and eliquis(5)--twice a day--- and it controlled my symptoms for 2 years. One month ago I had aflutter and afib alternating. Meds didnt get it back into rythm, like before. Had a cardioversion 2 weeks ago . Its back into rythem now. The doc increased my flecainide to 150, twice a day, , diltiazem 240 once a day, and Eliquis (5) twice a day. So far so good. I need to know what to do in order to help prevent recurrance. I was having alot of personal stress during the latest episode. Is stress a known trigger to afib??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2021, 02:32 AM   #2
    SparklyOats
    (female)

SparklyOats HB User
    Re: Afib meds and triggers

From what I know, there are no known triggers that can be definitively identified. Believe me when I tell you i don't drink alcohol of any kind, smoke anything or any kind, use drugs, I don't even drink soda, cola, tea, coffee and yet BAM! this stuff hits me from out of the blue, no matter what.

You cannot prevent a recurrence. There is no such thing. What you might want to do is ask your cardiologist or electrophysiologist about maybe using a beta blocker instead of a calcium channel blocker to see if that might address a-fib or a-flutter (it might address one but not the other). Best of luck.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Afib meds and triggers

Hi MisterBaseball6!

I hope that you have not had a repeat of your heart rhythm problems!

I had heart failure back in 1987. I endured frightening heart rhythm problems, chronically high blood pressure, breathing problems and fatigue. I decided that, if I wanted to survive heart failure I needed to get my blood pressure down to much healthier levels.

To make this brief, I've taken my blood pressure almost 32,000 times, trying to find out what was triggering my high blood pressure. Each time I discovered something triggering higher blood pressure, I often found something that triggered heart rhythm problems.

I've not had a reoccurrence of high blood pressure or significant heart rhythm problems in over ten years.

If you are interested, I detailed my experiences back in 2010 in a thread titled: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life. at the link: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/742271-what-i-have-done-survive-heart-failure-afib-high-quality-life.html

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Reply