It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Rapid pulse with fever HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
    lisatee

lisatee HB User
    Rapid pulse with fever HELP

I had a problem with my heart rate two months ago when I had a problem with my elbow. I bumped it and caused it to become red inflamed and was "very" painful. The night it happend I felt like I was chilled and started running a fever. Along with that came my pulse of 140. Lasted most of the night. I didn't go into the E.R. because if my pulse is 140 and my anxiety kicks in then it would go to over 200. Anyway the next morning I spoke with one of the E.R. doctors and he said just to take another toprol, lorazepan and something for the fever. My pulse went down to pretty much normal for the day. After that episode it was running slow felt good except for a couple of flutters and I've had to cough to get those to stop but I'm feeling pretty good. Then last week I started coming down with a chest cold. When I went to bed I was chilled but didn't think anything of it because I thought my pulse was fast last time because of the pain not the fever. Anyway I was in bed for about an hour and my pulse kicked up to 120. I took my fever and it was 99-100. I took my 1/2 of lorazepam and fell asleep. I woke up about 12:30, still rapid so I called the E.R. They told me to try another 1/2 of my lorazepam and another toprol. After taking the toprol my pulse weakened but it didn't really slow down. I kept trying to sleep and forget about it, finally at 6:00 am I gave in and went to the E.R. but before I left the house I took a whole (.5mil) lorazepam. When we got to the E.R. they ran an EKG and said it was normal just fast. The lorazepam started to kick in and I started feeling calm. My pulse started dropping. I went most of the night with those feelings but was home within two hours after going to the E.R. and with a pulse of 92. My big question is..........would fever cause this or would it be anxiety. I have to admit I am a continuous pulse taker, I try to not do it but I notice even when I'm feeling good I sneak a check in just to make sure its going o.k. I haven't taken a lorazepam since that happened and my pulse had been o.k. I'm in a panic now with the flu and cold season on us. I am so scared it was the fever. Does anyone else have this?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
    spirlhelix

spirlhelix HB User
    Heart Rate and Fever

Lisa,

Anytime a person has a fever, their heart rate goes up. Fever speeds your whole metabolism. Your rate of respiration also increases with fever. You breathe more often and lose more moisture from your lungs as a result. This is why they tell you to drink plenty of fluids when you have a fever. Anxiety probably raises the elevated "fever" heart rate a couple more notches. Unless you have a fever that goes on for a very long time, I would not imagine the elevated heart rate that goes with fever would hurt you.
    If you don't like the feeling of an elevated heart rate and can tolerate aspirin or something that will take away your fever, you may find your heart rate going down as your temperature approaches normal.

I hope this helps!

Hugs,

Pam

Last edited by spirlhelix; 11-10-2003 at 02:13 PM.

Old 11-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #3
    lisatee

lisatee HB User
    Thanks Pam, I think thats what I will do next time I get the slight feeling that I'm coming down with something or get the chills at all. This has been strange because I've never had a problem like this when I've gotten sick before. I think I was a little dehydrated that night too. I've been feeling good since that night. I've been up and around the past few days with no problems at all. In fact that morning I went to the E.R. was the last time I took a lorazepam too (5 days ago).

Old 11-10-2003, 04:54 PM   #4
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spirlhelix
    Lisa,

Anytime a person has a fever, their heart rate goes up. Fever speeds your whole metabolism. Your rate of respiration also increases with fever. You breathe more often and lose more moisture from your lungs as a result. This is why they tell you to drink plenty of fluids when you have a fever. Anxiety probably raises the elevated "fever" heart rate a couple more notches. Unless you have a fever that goes on for a very long time, I would not imagine the elevated heart rate that goes with fever would hurt you.
    If you don't like the feeling of an elevated heart rate and can tolerate aspirin or something that will take away your fever, you may find your heart rate going down as your temperature approaches normal.

I hope this helps!

Hugs,

Pam
    Though I agree with you sprilhelix, the heart rate isn't necessarily going up because of the fever, but rather, both of them are occurring secondary to a primary process like infection. Especially in children, one of the first signs that they're sick in some way, is that they get tachycardia.

A fever with tachycardia is likely indicative of some type of infection somewhere. Obviously, this isn't all encompassing, but it's something that should be investigated.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:55 PM   #5
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spirlhelix
    Lisa,

I hope this helps!

Hugs,

Pam
    ...and in terms of lowering the fever, I would probably recommend tylenol before I recommended aspirin. What do you think spirlhelix?

Old 11-10-2003, 05:09 PM   #6
    spirlhelix

spirlhelix HB User
    Tylenol Vs. Aspirin

Hi, Butterflytrans

I'm not in a position to reccomend either . . .I just couldn't figure out how to describe what I was trying to say, so I said "something like aspirin"! Smile. I don't take either aspirin or tylenol myself, due to liver and kidney history. There are those who claim that a fever has a purpose in fighting infection, and ought to be left to run its course. I have had a fever for three years, which just now stopped on account of taking spironolactone. In my case, I think three years of fever was too much of a good thing and might have contributed to heart failure.

But many people don't feel impelled to get a doctor's opinion every time they run a fever. What do you think, Butterflytrans?

Old 11-11-2003, 02:50 AM   #7
    docrum
    Inactive

docrum HB User
    I agree, you don't need to see the doctor everytime you have a fever. I took my pulse on the train the other day, it was a very hot day in Britain (rarity value!) and the air conditioning was broken and the refreshment shop hadn't opened. I felt very dehydrated and I had a pulse rate of 120 bpm. I knew all I needed was about 1.5 litres of fluid to drink and I would be OK. There comes a point where too much medical intervention actually worsens the health of the population

Old 11-11-2003, 09:32 AM   #8
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User
    toprol

Not sure how long you have been on the toprol, but I was on it for one year before I developed side effects, one of them being anxiety. You may not have this but its just something to think about. Check out the beta blocker, toprol and similiar things on the High and Low blood pressure board.

Just a thought

Old 11-11-2003, 10:03 AM   #9
    lisatee

lisatee HB User
    I've been on troprol for one year. When I first got the toprol I was soooooo scared to take it and start messing with my heart that I only took 1/2 of the tablet. It seemed to work so I stayed on that (12 mil) so I am on only 1/2 of a regular dose. Other than those episodes with the fever I am feeling pretty good. I had the anxiety and panic attacks bad before I started on the toprol so I don't believe that is a problem. When I was in the E.R. they did take my blood and check my thyroid and some other things, they did tell me I am missing an enzyme in my liver. Its Cy2pD6. I am waiting back from the lab they sent my blood work to, I guess they let you know what medications you can take and what you can't. My system has always been very sensative to medications. I really appreciate the replys, I get really nervous and start building things in my head.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:11 AM   #10
    Tricia71
    (female)

Tricia71 HB User
    Lorazepum and heart rate

Hi,

I have had some heart racing issue lately and what seems to be a low grade fever often. I have been given a couple things for anxiety and it made my heart race more...one being lorazepum. Also, Zoloft. So it might be the drugs making matters worse!

Hope that helps, I have quit all mine and feel a bit better heart wise.

Trish

Closed Thread