It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Fast HR upon standing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
    Fast HR upon standing

Hi,
    I have posted in the past about my problems with a fast heart rate and chest pressure. My resting HR is now down in the upper 80's/lower 90's at rest(taking toprol), but as soon as I stand up it jumps to 120-140bmp and stays that way until I sit down and rest. It goes up to 160 after only 5-10 minutes of exercise. I have had many tests including:ekg's, worn a 24 hr holter, and an echo-all normal.
    My Dr. hasn't been able to find a reason why my hr goes up with minimal exertion, but he thinks part of it is due to anxiety. Both my GP and a cardiologist have told me my heart is fine and it's nothing to worry about. I thought I may have POTS, but my bp doesn't drop when I stand(it actually goes up).

My question is: Over time, is it possible that this increase in hr with activity will cause problems?
    Thanks in advance for any replys.
    hilery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Fast HR upon standing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hilery79
    Hi,
    I have posted in the past about my problems with a fast heart rate and chest pressure. My resting HR is now down in the upper 80's/lower 90's at rest(taking toprol), but as soon as I stand up it jumps to 120-140bmp and stays that way until I sit down and rest. It goes up to 160 after only 5-10 minutes of exercise. I have had many tests including:ekg's, worn a 24 hr holter, and an echo-all normal.
    My Dr. hasn't been able to find a reason why my hr goes up with minimal exertion, but he thinks part of it is due to anxiety. Both my GP and a cardiologist have told me my heart is fine and it's nothing to worry about. I thought I may have POTS, but my bp doesn't drop when I stand(it actually goes up).

My question is: Over time, is it possible that this increase in hr with activity will cause problems?
    Thanks in advance for any replys.
    hilery
    Your doctor feels that you get anxiety every time that you stand up? Does he think that you are afraid of heights? Just how tall are you!?

If a heart expert is not able to shed any light on someone with such obvious symptoms as you have, I think that you would have less anxiety if you had a better doctor.

Toprol can cause certain side effects, such as lightheadedness, when a patient goes from lying down to an upright position. I would suspect the Toprol.

As far as how safe it is for you heart to be constantly irritated every time you stand up? It can't be good for your heart. Have you considered changing to a different heart med? Are you taking Toprol for hypertension and/or a fast, erratic heartbeat?

Old 02-21-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beerzoids
    Your doctor feels that you get anxiety every time that you stand up? Does he think that you are afraid of heights? Just how tall are you!?

If a heart expert is not able to shed any light on someone with such obvious symptoms as you have, I think that you would have less anxiety if you had a better doctor.

Toprol can cause certain side effects, such as lightheadedness, when a patient goes from lying down to an upright position. I would suspect the Toprol.

As far as how safe it is for you heart to be constantly irritated every time you stand up? It can't be good for your heart. Have you considered changing to a different heart med? Are you taking Toprol for hypertension and/or a fast, erratic heartbeat?
    Thanks for the reply.

I take toprol for tachycardia. My bp is usually normal. I saw a supposedly very good cardiologist, as well. He did an ekg, some blood tests, and an echo and said there is absolutly nothing wrong with my heart. I also went to an internist and he basicly said there was nothing wrong with me and agreed with the other Dr.
    I am seeing a neuro on tues. for problems with headaches and tingling, so maybe he might be able to help find some answers. I'm wondering if it might be an ANS problem.

I'm starting to get very frusterated because I've had a long list of symptoms since last summer and still have no answers. My husband thinks I need to go somewhere like Mayo's if I still have no answers after the neuro visit. hilery

Old 02-23-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
    Soodle
    (male)

Soodle HB User

Hillery - like you I've posted many times before and seem to have very similar problems to you, so I know what you're going through.

My problems started last summer were, having previously been a fit and healthy 25 year old who went to the gym 3-4 times a week - I felt a little ill one night (nothing specific) and noticed a very slow HR - 48.

Went to the docs and was sent for blood test - cholesterol, Thyroid etc - all fine and dandy. When I went back to the gym my HR seemed to speed up far too quickly with relatively little effort, so I stopped (haven't been back since).

Over the next few weeks my heart rate seemed to increase until even standing up or light exercise caused it to race (I was short of breath doing the washing up).

Panicked one night after feeling very tight chested and short of breath - went to A&E - they ran an ecg and listened to my chest - told me it was anxiety.

Went back to A&E (at a different part of the country) after another panick and they did an ecg, blood tests, chest x ray and said that it was non sinister tachacardia, probably caused by anxiety.

Since then I've had an echo and a 24hr ecg - both were fine (my ejection fraction was 65 with no valve leakage and my heart rythm was perfectly normal).

I've tried beta blockers which worked a treat but my doc has decided he doesn't want to prescribe anything (it's just anxiety he says).

My symptoms are:

Racing heart when I stand or do any exercise
    Tightness in chest and throat
    Shortness of breath
    Head pressure/slight light-headedness (I've never felt like I was going to collapse or anything, just a little foggy upstairs).

My tests are:

echo - completely normal, ejection fraction 65.
    3 resting ecg's and a 24hr ecg - normal synus rythm.
    chest x ray - normal
    blood tests including cholesterol, thyroid, kidney function etc - all normal.
    Blood pressure - normal the last six or seven visits to the doc's.

I guess like you I find it hard to just accept that all this is anxiety (cos it feels really serious) but I guess that's half the problem - you don't believe what the doc's say.
    Also, you try to look for serious ilnesses it could be (at first I was convinced it was a valve problem, then after my echo I realises it wasn't and started worrying about angina - even though I'm 26 with normal blood cholesterol, a non smoker with a healthy diet and normal blood-pressure).
    I suppose the mind can be very powerful.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Old 02-23-2004, 08:30 AM   #5
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hey Soodle, those parts where your doctors say this is fine, that is fine and normal even though u have symptoms is familiar to me. When I was young, I was being checked for heart problems due to a genetic syndrome, however they found nothing and said everything's fine. Now that I'm older, I am told that I have a murmur and tachycardia, and the previous cardiologists I saw never told me about it! hmmmm. I am going to see my doc soon and not sure if they have found anything.

To all those out there who has a fast heart rate for long term will get some answers!

~My heart pounds very hard n fast when i stand up too along with a heavy head, painful eyes and temporary blindness in the eyes. anyone gets that?~

Old 02-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #6
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi Soodle,
    Yes, everything you listed sounds exactly like what I am going through. My symptoms all started last May and haven't gotten any better. I do take a beta blocker which lowers my resting pulse, but the second I stand up my throat and chest get tight and my heart rate shoots up. I also have head pressure. I feel out of breath doing regular activites and can no longer exercise. I am 24 and have always been in good shape and fairly healthy until these symptoms started. I have had 3 different dr.'s tell me my heart is completly fine, so I'm at the point where I don't know what to do next. My GP has now referred me to a neurologist because of my head pressure and facial tingling. I know anxiety could be part of it, but I really have a hard time believing that anxiety can cause my heart to race everytime I stand up.

Anyway, I hope you find some answers soon, as well. Keep me posted.
    Hilery

Old 02-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #7
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheerAngel
    Hey Soodle, those parts where your doctors say this is fine, that is fine and normal even though u have symptoms is familiar to me. When I was young, I was being checked for heart problems due to a genetic syndrome, however they found nothing and said everything's fine. Now that I'm older, I am told that I have a murmur and tachycardia, and the previous cardiologists I saw never told me about it! hmmmm. I am going to see my doc soon and not sure if they have found anything.

To all those out there who has a fast heart rate for long term will get some answers!

~My heart pounds very hard n fast when i stand up too along with a heavy head, painful eyes and temporary blindness in the eyes. anyone gets that?~
    Hi CheerAngel,
    Do you get complete blindness? I haven't really had any problems with my vision with this, but I do get a lot of pressure behind my eyes when I stand up. I also sometimes get a feeling of a head rush with a throbbing sensation in my face right after I stand.
    Did you find out the cause of your tachycardia?
    Hilery

Old 02-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #8
    abbygirl2
    Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

Hi, I do not have this although I was wondering if it was orthostatic tachycardia, meaning you heartrate shoots up when you rise. I can't remember anything else about it, just remember coming across it. Do a google for it and find out if it seems simliar to what you are experiencing.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:41 PM   #9
    Soodle
    (male)

Soodle HB User

Hey Hillery - I guess if we've both got the same problems and our doc's are telling us there's nothing wrong then there's a damn good chance it isn't anything serious. It is very frustrating though - I don't think the doc's understand how uncomfortable these symtoms are (I just wish I could go back a year when I felt fine) Do you suffer from shortness of breath? And was the onset of all this really sudden? I was really worried it could be angina but I guess we're both too young for that (whenever I rule one thing out that I'd convinced myself I had, I imediately look for something new to worry about).
    I'm supposed to be going to live in West Africa this Summer (currently live in England) so I could really do without all this hassle. I suppose we should take comfort in each other's symptoms - I don't know about you but I found it hard to believe this was anxiety cos my symptoms (especially with my heart) seemed very unusual, but it would seem that that isn't the case.

Keep in touch - like the man said, misery loves company

Old 02-24-2004, 06:03 AM   #10
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

It's likely POSTURAL HYPOTENSION caused by the blood pressure med. When the BP falls unnaturallly low to the brain...standiing always lowers it, a gravity thing... the brain orders the heart to speed up to avoid passing out from lack of food and oxygen.

It's VERY common with most powerful BP meds (like Beta Blockers and diuretics) and made worse by hunger when the blood glucose might be lower than normal.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:26 AM   #11
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soodle

Hey Hillery - I guess if we've both got the same problems and our doc's are telling us there's nothing wrong then there's a damn good chance it isn't anything serious. It is very frustrating though - I don't think the doc's understand how uncomfortable these symtoms are (I just wish I could go back a year when I felt fine) Do you suffer from shortness of breath? And was the onset of all this really sudden? I was really worried it could be angina but I guess we're both too young for that (whenever I rule one thing out that I'd convinced myself I had, I imediately look for something new to worry about).
    I'm supposed to be going to live in West Africa this Summer (currently live in England) so I could really do without all this hassle. I suppose we should take comfort in each other's symptoms - I don't know about you but I found it hard to believe this was anxiety cos my symptoms (especially with my heart) seemed very unusual, but it would seem that that isn't the case.

Keep in touch - like the man said, misery loves company
    Soodle,
    Yes, it started very suddenly. I remember the exact night it started. I was laying in bed and started to have a weird sensation in my chest. I stood up and felt horrible chest/neck pressure and was trembling all over. I also felt like I was going to faint. So, my husband took me to the ER and they told me it was just a panic attack. I remember my HR being 190 when I got there. I've had all of these symptoms ever since. And, yes I have shortness of breath anytime I do any sort of activity.

Like you said, I would do anything to go back a year ago when I felt healthy and normal. I, too, have a very hard time believing this is anxiety. I have had panic/anxiety problems in the past and still have occasional panic attacks, but this is different. I hate it when I go to a new Dr. and after examining me he asks if I feel stressed. The only thing that is causing me stress is the way I feel. I am getting so frusterated with Dr.'s.

I'm sorry you're going through this, too. I really hope we both find some answers soon.

Take care,
    hilery

Old 02-24-2004, 06:30 AM   #12
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    It's likely POSTURAL HYPOTENSION caused by the blood pressure med. When the BP falls unnaturallly low to the brain...standiing always lowers it, a gravity thing... the brain orders the heart to speed up to avoid passing out from lack of food and oxygen.

It's VERY common with most powerful BP meds (like Beta Blockers and diuretics) and made worse by hunger when the blood glucose might be lower than normal.
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did think it was some type of orthostatic intolerance, but my bp doesn't drop when I stand. My Dr. tested this. It actually went up a little bit. This symptom started before I started taking the beta blocker. My Dr. started me on toprol to help lower my heart rate.
    Hilery

Old 02-24-2004, 08:52 AM   #13
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hilery79
    Hi CheerAngel,
    Do you get complete blindness? I haven't really had any problems with my vision with this, but I do get a lot of pressure behind my eyes when I stand up. I also sometimes get a feeling of a head rush with a throbbing sensation in my face right after I stand.
    Did you find out the cause of your tachycardia?
    Hilery
    Hi hilery79, ya... my eye sight goes blackout, like being blind temporary. My eyesight will recover to normal in a few seconds(sometimes around 10 secs). When I stand up and want to walk to somewhere to get something done, I don't like to stop to regain my vision so I would normally bump into things or people! ~Embarrassing~ However, sometimes if I don't slow down, the pounding of my heart, pressure in my head, the pain in my eye, the blindness gets worse till I have to stop in the middle of whatever I'm doing. I still have no clue of what is causing the tachycardia, am seeing my cardiologist soon. My echo result is normal. Though I did hear that the technician say there's mild MR... not sure whether if I heard wrongly.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:20 AM   #14
    Soodle
    (male)

Soodle HB User

Cheers for you message Hillery it certainly makes me feel a little better to think that someone else is in the same pickle (that sounds awful but you know what I mean). I guess if both our doc's think we're ok then that's good news - could be worse if our tests showed something serious. Do you find yourself worrying yourself silly and thinking of all the things that it 'could' be? I don't think the internet is a good thing in this respect. A person has a headache and within a short while has convinced themselves that they've got a brain tumor. Having worried about and had all other theories disproved, I'm now starting to worry that I've got blocked arteries. All the docs/nurses I've spoken to tell me that I'm just worrying myself and I guess they're right. After all I'm only 25, don't smoke, have a healhty diet, have no imediate history in the family of early heart disease and my blood tests were all very healthy apparently. My blood pressure's also fine. Also, this all started suddenly,with a big drop in pulse rate which isn't something you associate with blocked arteries and I don't get pain in the middle of the chest even with exertion. I guess I'll always be looking for something new to worry about but luckily I've been referred to a pyschiatrist (I live in the UK so I'll get it for free - I gather shrinks in the US aren't afraid to charge big bucks for the use of their couch).
    Sorry for the length of the posts - I'm rambling I know.
    If you ever need a chat about all this stuff, don't hesitate to drop me a line - unlike the doc's I know how disruptive to your life and worrying all this can be, especially since our symptoms are very similar.

All the best,
    Soodle

Old 02-25-2004, 09:34 PM   #15
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hey Soodle,
    I do the exact same thing! I have worried myself sick over different diseases I could possibly have. It seems like every few weeks I come up with a different illness I'm sure I have(mainly heart related). Once I come up with something that explains my symptoms, I research it for hours. I'm making myself crazy!
    Your worry about blocked arteries is the very same thing I am concerned about right now. My dr. referred me to a neuro for my head pressure/tingling and I just talked to him about that yesterday. He didn't seem to think I had a blocked artery. Once again, I got asked that famous question "Do you feel like you have a lot of anxiety or are you under a lot of stress?" Aaaaah! Why do all of these Dr.'s blame everything on anxiety? In my opinion, it's because they simply don't care enough to take the time to figure out what is really wrong.

Sorry for ranting, but like you I am so tired of feeling so awful all the time. I'm sorry you're going through this too, but it is good to know I'm not alone.
    Hang in there.
    hilery

Closed Thread