It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Oral Surgery & heart attack related?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
    ssguy

ssguy HB User
    Oral Surgery & heart attack related?

Could my mothers recent oral surgery and heart attack be related? Here is what happened about 2 weeks ago, my mom whom is 64 years old no past medical history other than hypertension walked 3 miles per day, in great health!Two weeksago she went to have a skin graph done on her gum where her dentist stated there was a condition of the gum pulling away. They graphed a piece of skin from the roof of her mouth onto the gum. She was given novacain to numb her mouth. She returned home from the dentist office where this was done and her mouth began bleeding again, she had to return for more stitches. She came home once again,later that night she complained of only nausea and weakness. no chest pain or no shortness of breath.She was taken to a local E.R. thinking this was related to not eating for 14 hours and the combination of the novacain and the stress of having to return for the stitches. At the ER she was given a series of test, results of test showed her enzymes were out of wack and showed cardiac problems. She was transferred to another hospital and placed in a CCU where test were given, her lungs also had some fluid in them not much just a little. She was placed on different fluids, and also an antibiotic. She was given a heart cath.and echo all her arteries were 100% open, the test revealed some damage but not alot. The doctor that did the cath stated that it looked like a possible infection however her cardioligist stated a slight heart attack resulting in some CHF, Everyone is a little reluctant to come right out and say if this was related to the oral surgery. Also she was not placed on any antibiotics prior to the oral surgery or after however when she went back to have the stitches removed and told the dentist about what happened she gave her antibiotics before she would remove the stitches.She has beem home and doing well and takes a few different meds including ACE inhibitors and is making a good recovery. I would like to hear some opinions on if you guys feel this sudden cardiac problem was related to this oral surgery.

Last edited by ssguy; 03-24-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
    pennymellor
    Inactive

pennymellor HB User
    Re: Oral Surgery & heart attack related?

when you say enzymes which enzymes do you mean?
    did the echocardiogram/cardiac catheter show a valvular problem eg mitral regurgitation?

Old 03-25-2004, 03:54 AM   #3
    jenn.e
    Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

I have MVP and have to load up on antibiotics everytime I visit the dentist to prevent heart attack.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:06 AM   #4
    pennymellor
    Inactive

pennymellor HB User

antibiotics are used to prevent sufferer from heart valve problems from getting endocarditis, not heart attacks

Old 03-25-2004, 08:53 AM   #5
    ssguy

ssguy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pennymellor
    antibiotics are used to prevent sufferer from heart valve problems from getting endocarditis, not heart attacks
    pennymellor if you had read my post more closely you would have seen that that infection was not ruled out and this infection may contribute to a heart attack!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2004 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Please read the Board Guidelines.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:41 AM   #6
    pennymellor
    Inactive

pennymellor HB User

ss guy - my reply was to jenn e primarily

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2004 at 01:24 PM. Reason: do not leave quotes in your replies, if they are against the rules.

Closed Thread