It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• What is this sharp pain?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2004, 04:44 AM   #1
    sweetydews

sweetydews HB User
    What is this sharp pain?????

I may be writing in the wrong topic, as im not sure if this is heart related or not. The problem is i keep getting sharp pains in my left breast or so it feel like, its only just daunted upon me that my heart is behind my left breast. The pain only lasts for a tiny short while, but it is rather powerfull, for the half a second it lasts, i have to stop what im doing, it feels worse when i take a breath in, but the only way i can get it to go is to take a deep breath in, it feels like something is stuck and i need a big painfull breath to get rid. I dont get this pain all the time, maybe 2-3 times a month, it only lasts for a split second so i dont want to bother my GP, just yet. What do you all think?
    Please reply... other that this im usally a rather healthy 24 year old female..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 05:10 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: What is this sharp pain?????

I sounds like an inflammation of the chest wall....either mucles, joint or tendon. Really isn't typical of heart problems. Slightly more serious is an inflammation of the lung sack which causes that need to take a painful deep breath to make it stop. Also a dollop of water/fluid in the lung can cause a weird stabbing pain for a couple days (been in a pool lately?)
    Probably it will pass as mysteriously as it started.

Give aspirin therapy a try.

Last edited by zip2play; 03-28-2004 at 05:10 AM.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
    sweetydews

sweetydews HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    I sounds like an inflammation of the chest wall....either mucles, joint or tendon. Really isn't typical of heart problems. Slightly more serious is an inflammation of the lung sack which causes that need to take a painful deep breath to make it stop. Also a dollop of water/fluid in the lung can cause a weird stabbing pain for a couple days (been in a pool lately?)
    Probably it will pass as mysteriously as it started.

Give aspirin therapy a try.

Ive not been in a pool latley, but i have been getting this pain for years but never thought out of it, Its not got any worse i just accepted it. It goes as quick as it comes, just woundered if any one else gets it, to see if its normal...

Old 03-28-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
    sweetydews

sweetydews HB User

No ive not been in a pool at all, but i have had this pain seems all my life as long as i can remember, but because it goes as quick as it comes ive never thought anything of it. I woundered if any one else has ever experienced it and has an explanation of what it could be...

Old 03-29-2004, 05:27 AM   #5
    ckellym

ckellym HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetydews
    No ive not been in a pool at all, but i have had this pain seems all my life as long as i can remember, but because it goes as quick as it comes ive never thought anything of it. I woundered if any one else has ever experienced it and has an explanation of what it could be...

YES! I have had that problem - numerous times too - at one point it was scaring me because everytime I would take a breath in, it would hurt even more and i called the doctor - seems like its normal though. Could be a pulled muscle of some sort. Im 26 years old, female, and was scared too! I had a chest xray and blood work, ekg - all turned out fine. Maybe you should call your doctor just to be sure.
    Feel better

Old 03-29-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
    lacy33

lacy33 HB User

I'm a 25 year old female and I have that too, often. Once it got so bad, I finally went to emergency room b/c my chest, not only under breast, but in the area right were my heart is, along my breastbone, and into my shoulder. It hurt to breath, to turn the wrong way, etc. Anyway, they sent me home saying I had costochondritis (sp?). Its inflammation of the chest wall. I kept having pain and went to internal medicine dr. for EKG, chest x-ray, and they said it wasn't my heart and that costochondritis is mostly found in young females and there is no reason why it comes or goes.

I figured out a few activities that make it worse - raking, vacuuming, wearing underwire bra's with silicon in them really make it all worse. Its hard not to freak out b/c every time it flares up, my mind goes crazy wondering if its my heart.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
    ckellym

ckellym HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lacy33
    I'm a 25 year old female and I have that too, often. Once it got so bad, I finally went to emergency room b/c my chest, not only under breast, but in the area right were my heart is, along my breastbone, and into my shoulder. It hurt to breath, to turn the wrong way, etc. Anyway, they sent me home saying I had costochondritis (sp?). Its inflammation of the chest wall. I kept having pain and went to internal medicine dr. for EKG, chest x-ray, and they said it wasn't my heart and that costochondritis is mostly found in young females and there is no reason why it comes or goes.

I figured out a few activities that make it worse - raking, vacuuming, wearing underwire bra's with silicon in them really make it all worse. Its hard not to freak out b/c every time it flares up, my mind goes crazy wondering if its my heart.

Lacy33 - I feel the same exactway- once it happens, my mind races and I think its something worse than it really is!

Old 03-30-2004, 05:43 AM   #8
    Rick7799
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rick7799 HB User

I have had pains in my heart area as long as I can remember that come and go. I have had all the tests and they can find nothing wrong. I have been into cardio all my life and it never happens when I exercise. I have quit worrying about it. I have accepted it as something that is part of my life. It took doctors some time to convince me that it was nothing physical though. Since I quit worrying about it the symptoms are much better.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:04 AM   #9
    REC73

REC73 HB User

I'm a 30yr. woman and i've had that same kind of sharp pain on the left side of my chest here and there for as long as i can remember too. It is a very scary feeling because you feel like anything that painful has to be something serious but i've learned to live with it and it only happens once or twice a month. I just figured if it was something serious i woulda croaked by now but it must not be. It does make you grab your chest but i just try and keep relaxed and try to take slow breathes until it passes.

Closed Thread