It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Problems since ablation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2004, 08:09 AM   #1
    LaVanity
    (female)

LaVanity HB User
    Question Problems since ablation

I had an ablation done over 3 years ago for AVNRT and I had sinus node modification for IST and since then I have had weird beats. Sometimes when I lay down I will get a skipped beat then my heart will go fast for a few seconds and I have tons of PVC's. I also get where I have a lot of pvc's in a row non stop. Does anyone else have these symptoms? Or know what they could be, especially the fast heart rate that lasts for a few seconds when I lay down? Thanks, Laurie

Last edited by LaVanity; 05-30-2004 at 05:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2004, 10:56 AM   #2
    kimma5202

kimma5202 HB User
    Re: Problems since ablation

hey i also had an ablation for AVNRT. i was told that my pathway was very close to my AV NODE but the ablated anyways. now i have ist and LOTS of pvc's. did you have the IST before the AVNRT ablation??? ive read alot about how AVNRT ablations often result in sinus tachy because of where the pathway is located. Was your sinus tachy cured by the sinus node modification? YES i also have pvc's in a row. my biggest complaint is upon standing my heart races and pounds everytime, it gets annoying. how old are you?? im 18 and had my ablation NOVEMBER 2002. the doctor told me it can take up to 3 years to heal after an ablation and my symptoms might go away but i doubt that, 3 years is a long time.
    kim

Old 04-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
    LaVanity
    (female)

LaVanity HB User

Hi Kim, when I went for the ablation it was for IST and while doing it they found I had AVNRT. I am 36. I am still on a Beta blocker so I am not too sure if the ablation cured all of my IST anyway. I get a lot of weird beats since having the ablation done and I don't feel cured because of it. I had high hopes of being cured but I gave up on it now since it has been over 4 years since my ablation.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
    babag
    (female)

babag HB User

i am going in to have cath ablation on the 18th. sometimes i understand it has to be done again to get a cure. atleast see your cardiologist...don't worry as you are not the only one in the world and without other symptoms, i don't think you will kick the bucket soon.

Old 05-14-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
    test5629

test5629 HB User

Ablation for IST is not one of our better ablation success stories. AVNRT- yes. IST ablation is usually a last resort. Sorry to hear of the lack of effectiveness of your IST procedures.

Old 05-14-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
    babag
    (female)

babag HB User

i don't know what avnrt ablation is compared to ist... this lingo is not in my dictionary. now i wonder what they will do. they are going to do a cath procedure with radio waves.

Old 05-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #7
    Ann

Ann HB User

I, too, have had ablations for IST. I had three sinus node modifications, the first two didn't work and the third one slowed my heart down too much and I had to have a pacemaker.
    I am also experiencing runs of fast beats especially when I lie down or sometimes when I change position in bed. Sometimes they go away for ages and then come back and drive me crazy!

Old 05-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
    LaVanity
    (female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ann
    I, too, have had ablations for IST. I had three sinus node modifications, the first two didn't work and the third one slowed my heart down too much and I had to have a pacemaker.
    I am also experiencing runs of fast beats especially when I lie down or sometimes when I change position in bed. Sometimes they go away for ages and then come back and drive me crazy!

Hi, sorry to here you are having problems too. It sounds like what I get- a fast heartrate upon laying down and sometimes even when I am just sitting it happens too. Mine last for only about 10-20 secs, how long does your's last? Also how long ago did you have the first ablation?

Last edited by LaVanity; 05-17-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
    LaVanity
    (female)

LaVanity HB User

oops, sorry I made an error

Last edited by LaVanity; 05-17-2004 at 03:51 PM.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #10
    LaVanity
    (female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by test5629
    Ablation for IST is not one of our better ablation success stories. AVNRT- yes. IST ablation is usually a last resort. Sorry to hear of the lack of effectiveness of your IST procedures.

Hi, yeah I hear ablation for IST is not perfected yet, guess I was one of the "guinea pigs". Have you had an ablation done also?

Old 05-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #11
    LaVanity
    (female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by babag
    i am going in to have cath ablation on the 18th. sometimes i understand it has to be done again to get a cure. atleast see your cardiologist...don't worry as you are not the only one in the world and without other symptoms, i don't think you will kick the bucket soon.

Good luck and let us know how everything goes

Old 05-18-2004, 07:35 AM   #12
    test5629

test5629 HB User

It is not that you were a guiniea pig. The application of ablation is not well suited for IST. Usually ablation is a last resort, specifically b/c of its lack of effectiveness. If we were as successful with IST as we are for AVNRT, AVRT, Atrial tach, WPW, etc. then it would not be a last resort.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:34 AM   #13
    Ann

Ann HB User

My fast rates happen for about 10-20 secs too when they come in runs. Also, I get episodes of ectopic beats sometimes every other beat which is very unsettling. My first ablation was done in 1998, the last one in 1999. Sorry you are having similar problems. I have had discussions with many people who have had similar stories to tell after sinus node ablations.

Old 05-19-2004, 04:56 AM   #14
    LaVanity
    (female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ann
    My fast rates happen for about 10-20 secs too when they come in runs. Also, I get episodes of ectopic beats sometimes every other beat which is very unsettling. My first ablation was done in 1998, the last one in 1999. Sorry you are having similar problems. I have had discussions with many people who have had similar stories to tell after sinus node ablations.

Hi Ann,
    What do the ectopic beats feel like? I get a lot of weird beats and also runs of skipped beats that make me feel as though my heart is very irregular. Have you had a 24 hr. monitor that has caught the fast runs? Also what does your cardiologist think it is? Do you know of any boards that have ablation discussions? Thanks, Laurie

Old 05-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #15
    Ann

Ann HB User

Hi Laurie,

Ectopic beats feel like a flutter in your chest or as if your heart is missing a beat. When they happen a lot it is very uncomfortable and can cause much anxiety. I have had monitors many times for different rhythm disturbances. Ectopics may be PAC's (Premature Atrial Contractions) or PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions). If you log on to www.*******.org/ and enter the heart forum you will find lots of info on ablations and ectopics. Just type these two individual words into search and you will find other peoples experiences of these conditions.

Regards Ann

Closed Thread