It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Slow heart rate good

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
    lukerobinson

lukerobinson HB User
    Slow heart rate good

Hey there

Does anyone else have a resting heart rate of 45-48 min does this mean Im failey fit as I have looked around and read it should be around 60-90 beats min im 25 ,12 and half stone and I have only just stated exercising.

Luke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
    worryworttx

worryworttx HB User
    Re: Slow heart rate good

Luke,
    I have a resting rate of that as well. It takes me a while to get my heart rate to go up...I do get dizzy/lightheaded but that is b/c my blood pressure is a bit low too and I have bad ear problems and so who know's what is makeing all my symptoms. But from what I have gathered a slow pulse and low b/p are good in otherwise healthy adults...

Old 05-17-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
    lukerobinson

lukerobinson HB User

The only thing that does happen to me well sometimes last weeks is that when I sit down for a while then standup my head starts to throb like if its going to explose but the throbing is in tune with my heart rate the doc said it was something todo with my ear seems strange to me

Old 05-17-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Luke,

I run daily. Before I ran this morning, by resting was 43 bpm while sitting and typing up some e-mails. My rate was 48 bpm after stretching, while standing outside before my run. My normal rate, throughout the day can range from 43 to 58 bpm (without caffeine that is).

Old 05-18-2004, 11:06 AM   #5
    jpos
    Inactive

jpos HB User

An athlete may have a slower heart rate due to their fitness, sometimes called "athlete's heart". With you just starting to exercise, I don't think you qualify. Have you seen a dr.? I think it would be a good idea. Under 60 is bradycardia and is not normal except in an athlete.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #6
    lukerobinson

lukerobinson HB User

I asked the doctor about it he said that rate is fine

Old 05-18-2004, 12:16 PM   #7
    worryworttx

worryworttx HB User

I don't know guy's I have been to countless doc's and my cardiologist has had me do stress test, echo, ekgs, event monitor and have had many, many blood tests...I have a very slow heart rate...I am a smoker about 5'7 and wiegh 142, so I am not very overweight if at all...I am not an exerciser...even though I get a fair share of walking and what not...I am not a couch potato, but still seem to have a slow heart rate and basically I think that I alway's...the main thing that I wore the event monitor for the 30 day's was because I thought I was having palpitations, and although i have several events where my heart rate went up (the highest being 154 & lowest being 48) the outcome was bracardyia. Go figure...i still every now and then get times when I get a racing heart...I also get dizzy most everyday by just sitting on my computer...(although I really think that I have inner ear issues) and my blood pressure is normally very low. I don't know if it is a good thing or not...I am at the point where I may request a tilt table test. But I would like to get some information on that.

So go figure on the slow heart rate...
    Bec

Old 05-19-2004, 07:13 PM   #8
    Fizzickle
    Veteran
    (male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Luke,

As I sit here, my pulse rate is 44, blood pressure 135/74, and I feel great.

I'm 6'-0", weigh 180 pounds, and get moderate exercise. The main factor in all this is that I have bouts of atrial fibrillation, and take Betapace (a beta blocker) for that.

My cardiologist says that everything is fine. I have no dizzy spells or other signs of distress due to the slow heart rate.

Bill

Old 05-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #9
    Abbey32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Abbey32 HB User

So, what about a fast heart rate? Is that healthy? I am 32, female and I am at about 80 beats per minute. I don't exercise too much, some walking. Non smoker. I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:15 PM   #10
    lukerobinson

lukerobinson HB User

Thankx for the info I feel much better now I know other people have the same thing now all I need todo now is get my throbing head sorted

luke

Old 05-21-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
    jpos
    Inactive

jpos HB User

Abbey,
    80 bpm is not a fast heart rate, normal is 60-100 bpm. Tachycardia is anything above 100 bpm. I did mention early that cardios would like to see the heart rate below 85, but they don't treat it at that point. Sometimes they won't even treat tachy, it epends if it is frequent and on the type of tachy. I am treated for Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia (a rare arrhythmia), but mine often showed up on the ekg and as fast as 170 bpm. Now, 170 bpm isn't really fast as tachy's go, but for IST it is.

Hugs

Closed Thread