It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Wellbutrin a treatment for PVC's?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
    Inkpen

Inkpen HB User
    Wellbutrin a treatment for PVC's?

I am a 53 yr old male with a history of PVC's for about the last 10 years. Sometimes they would be so bad that I couldn't sleep on my left side because of the pounding. I would have a PVC every 3 to 5 beats. I had stress tests and monitors and was told to live with it. Tried cutting out caffeine and sugars to no real effect.

About 5 months ago I was feeling pretty depressed, which for me is unusual. My PVC's were pretty bad also. My wife has a script for Wellbutrin for her depression so I tried a few of her's. Got over the low feelings fairly quick but the biggest surprise was almost immediately the PVC's subsided!

I could feel the effect about 20 minutes after taking a pill.
    I take one in the morning and have virtually no PVC's.

I've stopped taking Wellbutrin a few times and every time the PVC's started again I took one and the PVC's stopped.

I can't say this will work for anyone else, but in some ways it makes sense. Stress in a major trigger for PVC's and Wellbutrin reduces stress. I call them happy pills.

Wellbutrin is unique among antidepressants in that is takes effect quickly and can be stopped without tapering off.

Wellbutrin is not a recognized treatment for PVC, and cannot be prescribed just for them, but a case could be made to your physician that PVC's are making you depressed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
    oceansuz
    (female)

oceansuz HB User
    Re: Wellbutrin a treatment for PVC's?

I have had PVCs for 7 years, with the frequency increasing, (everything "checked out okay" with testing). Started taking Wellbutrin for depression last year, took it for 6 months (felt "nervous" for 6 weeks, but that passed), the depression went away, and I wasn't having PVCs either. Stopped Wellbutrin a few months ago and boy are the PVCs back ( but no intense depression, as before). I will ask my MD about restarting Wellbutrin, because the lack of PVCs are a wonderful relief for me. In fact, that is why I joined this board, to share this info, because it really makes a difference, if I am experiencing PVCs or not.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I take an antidepressant too, and it almost completely eliminates my PVCs as well.

I got off of it after 5 years and they came right back. Weird, isn't it? I told my doctor and he just scratched his head.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
    Inkpen

Inkpen HB User

I ended up taking Wellbutrin for a year and a half. When I told my doctor that they seemed to help, she had no problems giving me a 'script for them. Since I stopped taking it last winter, the PVC's have stayed away (knock on wood). I still have a supply handy, just in case.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
    Inkpen

Inkpen HB User

Wellbutrin definitely reduced the pounding, and slowed heartrate a little. I didn't have much of an increase in heartrate with the PVC's.

Closed Thread