It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• 26, Inactive, Hypertension & Slow Heart Rate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User
    26, Inactive, Hypertension & Slow Heart Rate

Hi,

I'm 26 years old, average weight, pretty inactive... Ever since I was 13 years old, I have had very high blood pressure readings. Most recently 160/100 at the doctor's office (mostly whitecoat). It's usually around 150/90. It has never gone below 135/87 at home with a BP machine.

Anyhow, I went to the doctor because I have been lightheaded 24/7 for 5 weeks now, and I have had ECGs and blood tests. Apparently no damage had been done to my heart or kidneys due to hypertension. They say that my hypertension and lightheadedness is due to anxiety. I don't see how it could have been due to anxiety when I was 13, but ok, I accept it.

However, I recently started noticing my heart rate and it's usually in the mid 50's when watching TV or reading. It seems I've always had a heart rate in the 60's, but I may be wrong. I also have a pretty high respiratory sinus arrythmia. Fast heart rate when breathing in, slow heart rate when breathing out. I know this is normal, but it seems a little exaggerated in my case. I've also been stressed lately (mostly about my health). I keep thinking I have congestive heart failure or something. I know, not in a 26 year old...

My question is, is it normal to be inactive and have such a low heart rate? Can anything cause a sudden drop in heart rate? Or is this all in my head?

The ECGs didn't pick this up because my pulse was 135. I get nervous around doctors. Hee hee.

Wayne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
    Leanne R
    (female)

Leanne R HB User
    Re: 26, Inactive, Hypertension & Slow Heart Rate

Hi Wayne,
    I was gonna write in a similar question to you! I am also 26 and my resting heart rate is 61. I have not been well for 10 years and I think my thyroid is not working properly as my family all have hypothyroidism. I hope someone can shed light on the pulse thing as a low pulse can also mean thyroid probs.

Most websites say adults are in the normal range 60-100 but I am really inactive so would also like to find out if this is normal.

Old 08-14-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User

Well, apparently it is quite normal. It seems I have had a slow heart rate my whole life. I just started noticing it a month ago because of some severe health anxiety I've been having.

Old 08-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #4
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior26
    My question is, is it normal to be inactive and have such a low heart rate? Can anything cause a sudden drop in heart rate? Or is this all in my head?
    Wayne,

Your question reminds me of the story my GF was telling me when we were discussing heart rates. I was talking about how mine was in the 60s once, and is now in the 40s from all of the running I do. (I was sedentary before).

She told me that she was not active, and that she started to notice that her HR dropped lower and lower, and she thought something was odd when it was in the 50s, realizing that it was not a product of exercise.

She went in and had her TSH checked to find out that there was a thyroid problem.

Have you ruled hypothyroidism out yet?

Old 08-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #5
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User

The only thyroid blood test they did was for TSH, which was normal.

I'm just so scared that after all these years of hypertension, that I am developing heart failure or something. I'm just really frightened of this and dying early.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:17 AM   #6
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User

I also forgot to mention that I have a very fast heart rate on minimal exertion. For example, just taking a shower makes my heart jump up to the 130's. Getting up to get a snack does the same. That's an 80 BPM spike, just by standing up!

Usually when I continue walking, it will get back down to normal. But there is always that spike. Any clues? Anxiety?

I'm kind of freaking out here because I keep thinking that my long term hypertension, even if borderline, has caused my heart to begin failing. I know this is irrational thinking at 26 years old, and that ECGs would have picked up something, but I'm still kind of scared. I've never had an echo done, so everything is just speculation at this point.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
    bluebonnet1974

bluebonnet1974 HB User

I know that anxiety can cause many problems. I sometimes wonder how I can have so much anxiety and not even know it. Everytime I go to the doctor my heartrate increases to very fast and my blood pressure shoots up. The white coat syndrome is something else.

Old 08-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
    akjoha
    (female)

akjoha HB User

I have found these posts interesting as I was about to post asking about low heart beat! Before when taking beta blockers my heart beat would go down in the 40,s, but am NOT on those as get side affects. Most all meds give me side affects very frustrating to me and Drs.After heart attack about 6 months or more ago I was put on isorsorbicide monitrate and took it till about 2 weeks ago it made my BP rise right after I took it.I stopped it after consulting Dr . Now I notice my heart beat never goes much above the low 4o,s this am it was 39! It is scarey to me and makes me tired! I never knew I even had heart trouble till the attack but havent felt well for a long time.The words of thyroid interests me , and then I thought low pottasium as I have NO appetite and starches and sugars act like diabetes which was never diagnossed . I am 72 I might add had a sressful life!lol! either! I find more info on these boards than I get from Drs, Thank you all! Any thoughts to help me?? Thank you, akjoha

Old 08-24-2004, 08:17 AM   #9
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User

Akjoha, you said it all. We get more answers here than we do at the doctors. I personally think it's more helpful to talk to people with the same problems as us, than to talk to doctors who see many different problems all day. At least here, since we concentrate on one problem, there are higher chances of figuring out what's wrong. Even if we aren't doctors, sometimes when we put our heads together, we can find a solution.

Take care!

Closed Thread