It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Supra Ventricular Tachycardia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User
    Supra Ventricular Tachycardia

I have had this for 10 years and am considering ablation. I would like to chat with someone who has this same problem. Is there anyone out there?

Last edited by cfoxj; 08-27-2004 at 04:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Supra Ventricular Tachycardia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cfoxj
    I have had this for 10 years and am considering ablation. I would like to chat with someone who has this same problem. Is there anyone out there?
    I've had tachycardia for several decades. Digoxin keeps my tachycardia, more or less, under control. But I have to deal with side effects and other heart rhythm problems, such as my heart wanting to pound hard for hours, or my heart wanting to beat weakly and fast for an hour or less, or the usual jumps and skips, etc.

I avoid a lot of things in order to attempt to keep my heart firing correctly.

What medicine are you on now? I take it that your tachycardia is not being satisfactorily controlled with the meds.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-28-2004 at 08:49 AM.

Old 08-28-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

I am on Verapamil. The medicine controls it somewhat, but, not completely. I still have episodes every now and then. I don't know where or when one might strike. I have grandchildren now and I don't want to be caught somewhere while babysitting them by myself and have a problem. I started taking certain vitamins about a year ago and have noticed that they do make a difference, but, of course, they are not a cure.

Is your problem diagnosed as SVT? I know there are so many different variations of Tachycardia. I have talked to a Cardiologist and he definitely confirmed that mine is SVT. Have you considered the Ablation?

Last edited by cfoxj; 08-28-2004 at 12:49 PM.

Old 08-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    I am on Verapamil.
    Are you on the slow release or the "three times a day" version of Verapamil?

I took Verapamil three times a day. I had problems with it. If I ate any food with calcium, or took a vitamin with calcium, my heart would thump hard for hours. Verapamil definitely made me feel better, but I constantly had problems with a hard, thumping heart if I did anything wrong.

Quote:
    Is your problem diagnosed as SVT? I know there are so many different variations of Tachycardia. I have talked to a Cardiologist and he definitely confirmed that mine is SVT. Have you considered the Ablation?
    I have a "self diagnosed" atrial tachycardia. Mine would start by skipping a few beats, in which I felt like I was going to pass out, and then start a rapid, hard beat of about 160 beats per minute. It would last up to an hour. If I lied down on my back and took very deep breaths, and released the air very slowly, I could get rid of them, but it still took a long time to stop them.

Old 08-28-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

I am on the slow release version of verapamil. Yes, calcium does affect it! About a year ago I broke my foot and asked the doctor (same one who prescribed verapamil for me) if I should take calcium. He said that might be a good idea. Wrong thing to do! It made my heart flutter and feel like I was going to go into a rapid heart beat episode I have heard that magnesium is something that might help, but, I wouldn't know how much to take and would be concerned about an interaction with verapamil.

Have you been to see a doctor about your atrial tachycardia? When your episode is over are you exhausted? The last one I had was very exhausting. Just before I get an episode, I feel a flutter in my heart. I might feel a little weak, but, I don't feel like I am going to pass out. Thank the Good Lord! My heart just starts beating FAST and of course, my chest is pounding which is uncomfortable. My heart has raced over 200 beats pm. To try and stop an attack I drink cold water, that helps sometimes. Ice packs to the neck and face helps sometimes as well. I also try bearing down like in a hard BM. The last episode I had lasted over 2 hours. I wonder how much stress that puts on your heart?

Old 08-28-2004, 01:57 PM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    I wonder how much stress that puts on your heart?
    The last time I had an attack of tachycardia, I let it go full blast, 160 bpm, hard thumping for about seven months, non stop. For most of that time I felt pretty good, so I didn't worry about it. STUPID!!!

I didn't realize that a heart needs to rest between beats. A heart that is in constant tachycardia for many months, will slowly weaken. I wound up with heart failure, excess sweating, problems breathing, weakness and fatigue. My heart is enlarged and weakened because of it. It was probably the dumbest thing that I have done in my life.

I would imagine that, if I had kept my bouts of tachycardia few, and under control, I would not be faced with the problems I have now.

Old 08-29-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
    pauline38
    Inactive

pauline38 HB User

To cfoxj:
    Definitely try the magnesium! For information on how much to take get the book "the magnesium factor" on ******. From what I've read you can take up to about 600 mg magnesium a day. Once your body has filled the deficiency (which most Americans have) you can then cut down. Tests for magnesium do not give an accurate picture of how much mag is in your body. The thing with taking just calcium is that you need the magnesium to control the calcium so you can take equal parts calcium to magnesium or lets say 900 mg's calcium and 600 mg's magesium. I am taking 500 mg's a day for pvc's and it has made a big difference and my sister is taking it for SVT (too soon to tell for her) but will update you when I find out. Good luck and it can't hurt to try. Also - I read nothing in the book about the magnesium contradicting Verapamil or any other beta blockers but you can always get the go ahead from your cardiologist to be extra safe.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #8
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

Thanks for the info beerzoids and Pauline38. I do not take any calcium tho. It seems to affect my SVT or gives me feelings of going into rapid heartbeat. I think I will definitely try the magnesium tho. I will get that book and check it out. Thanks! Do either of you go to an Alternative care doctor? I have thought about doing that. Pauline38 what type of medicine is your sister on? I would love to talk to her. I have tried to find someone who has the same problem as I do just to compare notes. I am sick of having those feelings of rapid heart beat and have contemplated getting the Ablation procedure done. The only thing stopping me is the doctor told me there was a chance they could mess up my natural pace maker. That scares me. I do not want to get into that scenario.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #9
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

Do either of you know the difference between PVC and SVT? Just curious?

Old 08-30-2004, 07:10 AM   #10
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Do either of you know the difference between PVC and SVT? Just curious?
    PVC = Premature Ventricular Contraction

PAC = Premature atrial contraction

SVT = Supraventricular Tachycardia

PAT = Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia

VT = Ventricular Tachycardia

PVCs, PACs are premature misfiring of the heart, or ectopic beats. Beats of this nature can occur anywhere in the heart. The others are tachycardias, which are where the heart kicks into overdrive and beats fast. It can either be a hard beat or a weak beat.

I've had them all during the same 24 hour holter. When I took my last holter test, I deliberately came into contact with irritants that I knew will cause my heart to misfire. I wanted to find out what was going on with my heart. I kept a log.

I've noticed that as my heart got more irritated the misfiring would change from either supra ventricular ectopic beats, and a supra ventricular tachycardia, to ventricular ectopic beats, and ventricular tachycardia. As my heart relaxed and recovered, somewhat, the misfiring would change back from a ventricular misfiring to a supra ventricular or atrial misfiring.

It makes sense. As the heart becomes more irritated the misfiring becomes more dangerous, and if over-irritated can result in a very dangerous Ventricular Fibrillation, which I have never experienced.

I have isolated many of the items that cause my heart to misfire badly, and I stay away from them. When my heart starts to misfire, I take it easy and stay away from anything that can cause the misfiring to change from my atrium to my ventricles.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:51 AM   #11
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

What are the irritants? Caffeine? Certain Foods? Alcohol?

Old 08-30-2004, 01:54 PM   #12
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    What are the irritants? Caffeine? Certain Foods? Alcohol?
    I became very sensitive to a lot of stuff after a long lasting, low grade sinus infection.

Caffeine is one of the irritants, but, for me, not the worst. I can drink alcohol, but if I use rubbing alcohol on my body, my heart will go nuts.

In fact, most medicinal oinments or cremes cause my heart to misfire if I apply them to my skin.

Dust and smoke does a number on my blood pressure, heartbeat and asthma.

If the outside air is high in pollens and/or pollution, my heart goes nuts when I step outside.

Certain clothes and dyes make my heart misfire. For instance, if I wear blue jeans, my heart will start skipping beats, and the longer I wear them, the worse I get. Black jeans have a milder effect on my heart.

Most of my shirts cause my heart to go nuts. I've only a few shirts that I can wear.

Old books, or old manuscripts really cause my heart to go nuts and badly effect my asthma.

A lot of stuff that comes in the mail, I can't touch or it will effect my asthma and my heart. I read the newspaper with gloves, but sometimes, if I am real sensitive, I can't even get close to the newspaper.

Now............. I realize that I have a somewhat unusual heart/allergy condition. On the other hand, there are millions of people who have pacemakers in their chests because they have not been able to get their hearts to beat correctly, so am I that much different?

Before I started making changes, my heart beat badly 24 hours per day, medicine or not. Now my heart beats much better and my quality of life is much better. Even though my heart doesn't beat like a 20 year old athlete's, it is pretty much under control as long as I don't make a mistake or if the outside air is worse than normal.

I kept removing foods and drinks from my diet. I stayed away from chemical cleaners, oils, glues, etc. I wore only clothes that didn't bother me. I use soap on my hair instead of shampoo. I use baking soda to wash my clothes, and we don't use the commercial fabric softeners.

Not only am I feeling better, but I've been able to significantly reduce the heart meds that I am taking, and I am still reducing them VERY SLOWLY.

You have had heart tachycardia problem for ten years. Could you elaborate on your symptoms?

How often does your tachycardia kick in, or is it constant? Does it get worse, at times? Sometimes is it just irritating, and other times does it pound so hard that you can see your chest moving?

Is it possible for you to try a change in your diet? How about chemicals? Do you handle a lot of different type of chemicals? Are you around people who smoke?

Is your heart-beating problems totally out of control, and constantly irritating all day long, and at night, or does your heart beat pretty good sometimes?

Besides calcium, have you found any other "irritant" that effects your heart? How about when you walk outside sometimes?

Also....... do you have allergies?

Hope you don't mind the questions.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-30-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #13
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

I have had 4 episodes this year. I get a flutter feeling in my chest before I go into a rapid heart beat episode. Sometimes I can drink ice water or cough or both and it stops it. When it pounds so hard that I can see my chest move that is what I consider an episode. If I look down at my chest it reminds me of a car that is running roughly! Funny, but not! If it does not stop in a couple of hours, I usually head for the ER and they give me adenicard (not sure of spelling) which is given thru the veins. Not a good feeling. For the most part my heart beats normal until I have an episode. What is irritating is the flutter in the heart, the feeling that you are going to go into rapid heart beat. I have changed my diet. I did start noticing certain foods were bothering me. From the beginning I was told no caffeine. Then I noticed sugar bothered me and so on and so on. Vitamins have helped drastically. No, I don't handle a lot of chemicals, but, I did go into rapid heart beat one day while cleaning the toilet. So, I stay away from that chemical. No, I am not around people who smoke as that throws me into an asthma type feeling. No,my heart is not totally out of control. It beats normal most of the time. When I say normal I mean anywhere from 75bpm to 100 bpm. When it is beating at 100bmp I notice it and it is slightly uncomfortable. Yes, I have noticed different vitamins have irritated my heart. I couldn't tell you all of those, as I have tried so many. I really haven't noticed or thought about outside air bothering me. Unless the farmer across the street has sprayed his field, then I make sure all windows are closed and I don't breath it if I can help it. No, I do not have any allergies that I am aware of anyway. I started taking vitamins last year, and they have helped me a lot! Vitamin B Complex especially. I noticed a BIG difference after taking that and I have gradually added some others to see if they make a difference. I have noticed that I have episodes at certain times of the year too. Like every August. Not sure what the connection is, but, I can count on it like clockwork. February also! You have definitely enlightened me on somethings I had not thought of. Have you thought about trying vitamins?

Old 09-02-2004, 07:24 AM   #14
    absigailg83

absigailg83 HB User

I am 20 years old and have been diagnosed with a mild, Paroxysmal atrial tachycardia, where I am just relxing and my heart suddenly begins to pound. I discovered that it is triggered by calcium, alcohol and being hot from laying in the sun. I have been assured that it is rarely dangerous, but it still freaks me out. If you massage your carotid arteries, drink icy cold water, or hold your nose and close you mouth while exhaling really hard helps decrease the scary rapid pulse. I am not on any medications, it only began this past year. I still fear it, but I am only 20! I am also on a lot of medicine, I don't know if this also causes it???? (paxil, singuair, advair, orthotricline) I am glad I am not alone, because the episodes are quite scary! Glad to talk to you guys about it

Old 09-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #15
    breezy2211

breezy2211 HB User

I am a 35 year old male that had an ablation for svt 6 years ago. I will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Closed Thread