It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Fast Heart Rate, I'm only 21?????????????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
    vespa31

vespa31 HB User
    Exclamation Fast Heart Rate, I'm only 21?????????????

I'm only 21. I have recently discovered that I have a heart rate of 115 and low blood pressure all the time. I recently went to hospital to have my appendix out where the doctors questioned my high heart rate but I could give them no reason why and they just put it down to de-hydration. It averaged between 105 -115 the whole time I was in hospital. I also have anemia (have had for years), I can usually get it under control with iron tablets for a few months but as soon as I go off the tablets I shortly have anemia again. I eat meat 4 times a week as a main meal, I have had all my insides check for any bleeding or chrones disease and I don't have heavy periods. Doctors can not explain my anemia.
    Just wondering if my fast heart rate has anything to do with my anemia. Why else could a fit and healty 21 year old have a fast heart rate and low blood pressure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 12:13 AM   #2
    Summer_Lovin
    (female)

Summer_Lovin HB User
    Re: Fast Heart Rate, I'm only 21?????????????

Yes, a fast heart rate is a symptom of Anemia, I'm not sure about the low blood pressure though.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:07 AM   #3
    Jack51
    Inactive

Jack51 HB User

I was young once and was diagnosed with tachycardia, which is a pathological fast heart rate. There are different causes and some are of unknown origin. You have got to pay attention to this. If left untreated, your heart can become enlarged, which takes a while to happen (maybe years). Make sure that first you don't smoke, and if you do, wait about 60 minutes after smoking one. Make sure you have had no other stimulants such as caffeine, for awhile, then sit down, relax and check your pulse rate. Write it down and do the same 2 or 3 times a day until you know for sure that it remains this high.
    If your resting pulse rate remains between 105 and 115, and it is not being influenced by nicotine or other stimulants, you have a problem that needs to be adressed by a doctor. There are medicines that will slow your heart rate down, but they also decrease your BP.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
    leviathan85

leviathan85 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vespa31
    I'm only 21. I have recently discovered that I have a heart rate of 115 and low blood pressure all the time. I recently went to hospital to have my appendix out where the doctors questioned my high heart rate but I could give them no reason why and they just put it down to de-hydration. It averaged between 105 -115 the whole time I was in hospital. I also have anemia (have had for years), I can usually get it under control with iron tablets for a few months but as soon as I go off the tablets I shortly have anemia again. I eat meat 4 times a week as a main meal, I have had all my insides check for any bleeding or chrones disease and I don't have heavy periods. Doctors can not explain my anemia.
    Just wondering if my fast heart rate has anything to do with my anemia. Why else could a fit and healty 21 year old have a fast heart rate and low blood pressure.
    Is your heartrate always this quick, or was it just during the surgery? If the latter, you were probably just stressed out. Considering the fact that they found low blood pressure AND a fast heartrate suggests that you were dehydrated. If you are dehydrated, your blood volume decreases. If your blood volume decreases, then blood pressure goes down. Since blood pressure is equal to the cardiac output times total peripheral resistance (BP=CO*TPR), your cardiac output is low causing low BP from low stroke volume, so heartrate increases to increase blood pressure. (CO = SV * HR) The anemia could also be a cause for the increased heart rate, but it wouldn't explain the low blood pressure.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:43 AM   #5
    mome22
    (female)

mome22 HB User

I started noticing a fast heart rate at 18 years old. I am now 32 and still have the tachycardia. When I was first getting dx I had lots of tests. The holter monitor test showed a rate of 189! My blood pressure is always low. I am on Atenolol and have been for years. It has helped bring down my rate and my blood pressure is almost in normal range(it is now usually 98/60, used to be 80/60). Do you also have palpitations? Also, I have had 2 children without any problems but was watched closely during pregnancy.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
    MillerTime72987
    (male)

MillerTime72987 HB User

I'm no doctor but, you need to have an echocardiogram (ECG) to see if there is any murmers, or obstructions in the heart path ways. The normal range of a normal resting heart rate is 50-90 beats for adults. Anything faster than that, would be called Tachycardia. There are many different types of tachycardias. The smartest thing to do is read anything you can find on the internet. I would definetly look in to anemia as one of the causes. I don't know enough about your symptoms, but you definetly need to check in to your doctor to find out what is going on in you. Tachycardia is not dangerous by itself (in other words, you can't have a heart attack from tachycardia), but it is 90% of the time caused by a secondary condition.

Few questions,

1. Do you have any palpitations? (strong awareness of heart beat)
    2. Does your heart beat very fast with little exertion?
    (Walking up Stairs, Brisk walking etc.)
    3. Do you have any chest pain?
    4. Do you feel fatigued, tired, sweating with little exertion?
    Hope this helps!

-Josh

Old 10-08-2004, 05:55 AM   #7
    bambi86

bambi86 HB User

I'm 18 and I have quite a fast heart rate (its about 90 - 120 when resting) my blood pressure has always been quite low, usually its about 90/60 but when I had my tonsils out a couple of years ago it went down to about 60/30 (though this was probably just because of the op). I also get palpitations quite alot (pretty much every day) but I don't no why.

Closed Thread