It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Enlarged Heart?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
    susanp

susanp HB User
    Unhappy Enlarged Heart?

I had a chest x-ray that showed double pneumonia,and my doctor said an enlarged heart. She didn't say anything else about my heart.Please can you tell me anything about what causes an enlarged heart? This scares me. Please anyone reply.
    susanp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
    susanp

susanp HB User
    Re: Enlarged Heart?

hummingbirdkiss
    The doctor didn't talk about any follow up.I ask her what could cause it. She said probably my weight,because I am over weight.
    susanp

Old 10-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
    Jack51
    Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Susanp, that seems very cruel to me that a doctor could just tell you that you have an enlarged heart, and not discuss it with you. Your heart is a muscle, and like a bicep, it gets bigger the harder you work it. Tachycardia (rapid pulse rate) over many years, untreated, can cause an enlarged heart. Untreated high BP can cause an enlarged heart, because your heart is a pump and it has to overcome the circulatory system pressure, to produce a flow of blood. This (high BP) overworks your heart and causes it to become larger. Atheletes sometimes have an enlarged heart after many years of strenuous exercise, but they don't have a damaged or diseased heart. I was told that mine is slightly enlarged ( I shore ain't no athelete either). I had untreated tachycardia for many years. This is just a few things that I have read that can cause an enlarged heart. Just because it is enlarged, doesn't necessarily mean trouble, but what got it to become enlarged may be troublesome. Give them docs a big quiz when they give you seemingly bad news, but yet don't offer you any explanations. Try not to worry, till you have something for sure to worry about

Old 10-08-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
    susanp

susanp HB User

jack51

Thankyou so much for your reply. I feel better now to know it may not be anything serious, but at least I will be on my guard about any problems.
    susanp

Old 10-09-2004, 07:31 AM   #5
    Jack51
    Inactive

Jack51 HB User

You're very welcome. Remember lose weight, eat right and exercise. Don't take wooden nickels and don't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....

Old 10-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

My understanding is an enlargement of the heart is prevalent as one ages, but not considered a medical problem. An enlarged heart due to pathology is cardiomyopathy and a very serious condition. (My diagnosis)
    The heart does return or not unexpected to return to almost normal within a short time with beta blockers.
    You may do as I did and ask for the test results. I compared my M-Mode values (results of the test) with a baseline reference for normal dimensions shown on a web site. I will have another echo next month, and we will be able to assess whether or not there has been an improvement.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
    Jack51
    Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Kenkieth, once the heart is enlarged, nothing returns it to it's normal size:
    Cardiomyopathy

What is cardiomyopathy?

Cardiomyopathy is a serious disease in which the heart muscle becomes inflamed and doesn't work as well as it should. There may be multiple causes including viral infections.
    Cardiomyopathy can be classified as primary or secondary. Primary cardiomyopathy can't be attributed to a specific cause, such as high blood pressure, heart valve disease, artery diseases or congenital heart defects. Secondary cardiomyopathy is due to specific causes. It's often associated with diseases involving other organs as well as the heart.

There are three main types of cardiomyopathy -- dilated, hypertrophic and restrictive.

What is dilated (congestive) cardiomyopathy?

This is the most common form. In it, the heart cavity is enlarged and stretched (cardiac dilation). The heart is weak and doesn't pump normally, and most patients develop congestive heart failure. Abnormal heart rhythms called arrhythmias and disturbances in the heart's electrical conduction also may occur.

Blood flows more slowly through an enlarged heart, so blood clots easily form. A blood clot that forms in an artery or the heart is called a thrombus. A clot that breaks free, circulates in the bloodstream and blocks a small blood vessel is called an embolus.

Clots that stick to the inner lining of the heart are called mural thrombi.
    If the clot breaks off the right ventricle (pumping chamber), it can be carried into the pulmonary circulation in the lung, forming pulmonary emboli.
    Blood clots that form in the heart's left side may be dislodged and carried into the body's circulation to form cerebral emboli in the brain, renal emboli in the kidney, peripheral emboli or even coronary artery emboli.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #8
    susanp

susanp HB User
    Smile Re: Enlarged Heart?

Jack51
    I wont roller skate in any buffalo herds. All I got to do is do it do it do it......
    Thanks for your reply KenKeith. I appreciate any and all comments.
    susanp

Old 10-11-2004, 02:06 PM   #9
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Jack, cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart muscle doesn't function as expected or should. My condition is dilated (congestive) cardiomyopathy. The heart cavity is enlarged and stretched, weak and doesn't pump normally.

Cardiomyopathy can be catagorized as primary or secondary. Primary can't be attributed to a specific cause. Secondary has an underlying and identifiable cause.

Heart remodeling is associated with CHF when the heart LV becomes rounder and larger. LV changes shape. Often as a consequence muscle cells die and heart muscle dies and this is partly due to the neurohormonal system.

BB and ACE inhibitors together may be able to SLOW, STOP, or even reduce remodeling. I suppose how effective or whether or not effective depends on the underlying cause.
    ________________________________________ _________
    susanp, good to hear it worked out to your satisfaction.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:22 PM   #10
    susanp

susanp HB User
    Question Re: Enlarged Heart?

KenKeith and anyone else:
    The only thing that still bothers me is that when diagnosed with the double pnuemonia I never had any cough. Not after taking antibiotics or anytime. I have posted about this on other threads with not much response, but I guess because no one has heard much of that either. I am starting to feel a little short of breathe again tonight ,and with no cough, but just a bit uncomfortable in my back lung area. I have been taking more of my breathing treatments and more antibiotics. I hope they help again,because of missing so m uch sc hool. I am a teacher. (special ed) I am the sole provider,because my husband is disabled with severe diabetes and congestive heart failure,and on constant oxygen. I stay worried I guess that if suddenly I became too ill to not be ab le to work,we could lose our low cost home etc. I know though that God has taken care of us so far. My husband took a year getting medical disability help. He had no insurance. He was uninsurable and though we are thankful it is covered now he doesnt get a monthly check like some ,because of me working. We have no children.I have one grown son by a previous marriage. Well I guess I just told some part of my life , but I guess I needed to talk . I hope you dont mind.
    thankyou
    susanp

Old 10-12-2004, 02:07 PM   #11
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Susanp, you are heavily burdened and if your problem is associated with stress it would certainly be understandable.
    A couple of months ago I was shocked to learn I had had a silent heart attack with heart muscle damage. Occasionally when I think about my breathing not being as it should (but really is OK), it causes faster breathing and some anxiety waiting so-to-speak for the other shoe to drop.
    Sorry to hear about your husband, and I wish you and your husband well.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:45 PM   #12
    susanp

susanp HB User

KenKeith
    Thankyou for your reply. I am sorry to hear about your silent heart attack and will pray for you to be healthy.
    susanp

Closed Thread