It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• pericarditis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
    hypokelly
    (female)

hypokelly HB User
    pericarditis

Hi all,
    Has anyone ever had pericarditis????
    I have a prolasped valve and have had intermittent chest pain.
    It comes and goes and has been for awhile,it is sharp but lasts for seconds radiates to my back and up my neck. I have been to the clinic and they heard a wheeze so perscribed me a antibotic.This wheeze comes and goes, but I,m not really short of breath, I have been off the antibotic for 3 wks now i'm still having the pain. I really don't think its a heart attack otherwise I'd be dead by now.
    Also when I lay down I feel like I'm having palpatations. I did a search on the net and it said that pericarditis is treated with anti-imflammatories( already on for arthritis)
    Does anyone have any input? Is the pain from pericaditis sound like this?
    I also take meds for stomach so I don't believe its GERDS ,I'm almost positive its my heart.
    TIA,Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2004, 05:31 AM   #2
    Kine

Kine HB User
    Re: pericarditis

I had pericarditis many years ago (twice, in fact), and laying down was the one thing I couldn't do - the pain was unbearable. It also hurt to inhale deeply but there were no chest sounds (i.e., wheezing). Your wheezing suggests some type of lung infection (congestion?) and the pain might be from irritated chest muscles, especially if you had been coughing. Wouldn't hurt to check with your doctor just to be sure something else isn't going on.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
    Jack51
    Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Have you ever had pleurisy? It is probably more common than pericarditis.

What Is Pleurisy?

Pleurisy, also called pleuritis, is an inflammation of the pleura, which is the moist, double-layered membrane that surrounds the lungs and lines the rib cage. The condition can make breathing extremely painful, and sometimes it is associated with another condition called pleural effusion where excess fluid fills the area between the membrane's layers.

What Are the Symptoms of Pleurisy?

Severe, fleeting, sharp, pain in your chest, often on one side only, when breathing deeply, coughing, moving, sneezing or even talking.
    Severe chest pain that goes away when you hold your breath.
    When pleurisy occurs in certain locations of the lungs, the pain can be felt in other parts of the body such as the neck, shoulder or abdomen.
    Rapid, shallow breathing in response to the pain.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signs and Symptoms of Pericarditis :

The most common symptom of pericarditis is chest pain. The pain is predominantly felt below the breastbone (sternum) and/or below the ribs on the left side of the chest and, occasionally, in the upper back or neck. Breathing causes the lungs and heart to move in the chest and rub against the irritated pericardium, worsening the pain. Pain may worsen when patients lie down and may improve when they sit up and lean forward. Changes in position can increase or decrease pressure on and irritation of the inflamed pericardium.

Several things that cause pericarditis also cause fluid to accumulate between the pericardium and the heart (pericardial effusion). If enough fluid builds up quickly in this space, it can "compress" the heart's chambers. Through some fairly complex mechanisms, this sometimes leads to shortness of breath (dyspnea). The development of dyspnea is a matter of concern because it may indicate that the amount of fluid is reaching a critical point and requires urgent medical treatment.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:29 AM   #4
    tigeress_181
    (female)

tigeress_181 HB User

It sounds lung related to me too (possibly an infection)......it is often hard to distinguish the difference in heart and lung pain.

I would see your family doctor for a full check up.....most people are due for one anyhow, better to be a little worried or neurotic than to let whatever is happening to get worse. Maybe even get a second or third professional medical opinion as well from a good doctor not one that just fobs you off or doesn't listen properly.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:43 AM   #5
    Kitten1980
    (female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Pericarditis is an inflamation (usually from infection) of the lining of the heart. I hope I don't jinx myself by saying this but I've never had it, even though I'm supposedly at an increased risk for getting it. Antibiotics and anti-inflamatory drugs are the standard treatment, and if symptoms are severe monitoring and possibly temporary treatment with hypertension, anti-arhythmia, and/or anti-coagulant meds may be necessary. With today's medicines though, if it is caught early it rarely creates lasting problems.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:06 PM   #6
    Excelsoir

Excelsoir HB User

Kitten1980,
    The information you provide indicates that Pericarditis is a serious illness and does need to be ruled out.I think relying on self-diagnosis, HypoKelly, would be unwise, despite the very informative contributions from other Board Members.
    All the Best,
    Excelsoir

Old 12-02-2004, 12:31 AM   #7
    Kitten1980
    (female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Wonderful point, Excelsoir. I see these boards as a way of sharing information and experiences, but definatly they should not be used to self-diagnose!

Old 12-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
    GlenS
    (male)

GlenS HB User

I have had this twice. The first was after bypass surgery. Some of the worse pain I have ever had. The Dr. put me on steroids. Something called medrol dosepack. Cleared it up within a couple of days.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #9
    parabellum
    (male)

parabellum HB User

I'm having poking pain each time the heart beats, and can hear sqeezing or rubbing sound with the heart beat.
    I went to family doctor, who did EKG and said he can't find anything wrong.
    the pain is not severe but worse when I'm lying down, and more so if I breathe in real deep and hold the breath.

the rubbing sound does not disappear even if I hold breath, so I'm certain its not the lung.

would this be pericarditis?

Closed Thread