It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Carotid endarterectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2004, 03:53 PM   #1
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User
    Carotid endarterectomy

My boyfriend had a carotid endarterectomy done about seven months ago. Everything went well and he had a quick recovery. He had one follow up after a month and everything was fine. The dr did say that they can close up again and I am praying that doesn't happen. He is going for another ultra sound this month, which will be his six month check up. I was wondering if anyone has had this done and their experiences after six months. I'm just so nervous because if it does close, Im not sure what will happen. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
    FrontierDriver2
    (male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User
    Re: Carotid endarterectomy

I am just curious, what were his symptoms leading up to this procedure? How did he know something was wrong? I have never been able to find much on the internet about this. Also, how old is he??

Old 11-11-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User
    Re: Carotid endarterectomy

Well, sometimes there are no symptoms. Look for sudden headaches, lightheadedness, drool when sleeping, etc. It is easy for you pcp to detect if something is wrong. When you go for a check up, have him listen to your carotid arteries to detect blockage. Through an ultrasound, you can detect the percentage of blockage. Surgery is considered for any blockage over 70%. Anything less is usually treated with asprin and lifestyle changes. Depending on where the blockage is in relation to the neck, a carotid endarterectomy can be performed safely. My boyfriend is 61 and he had this done. Oh my God I was so scared, but I think knowledge really helps when you deal with something like this because you know what the drs are talikng about. You can get a lot of good info on the american heart or american stroke association. I am looking to see in post patients, how likely it is to reblock. I pray that doesn't happen because I want it to be over. They say if you make it to two years without the blockage returning, then you are good. Let me know if you need anything else.

Closed Thread