It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• artery spasm - Prinzmetals

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
    cinkay45
    (female)

cinkay45 HB User
    Question artery spasm - Prinzmetals

I was just diagnosed with an artery that spasms. My doctor didn't tell me much at all and I am a little anxious.

I have been put on beta-blockers. Does anyone know anything about spasms in the arteries?

Cinkay45

Last edited by cinkay45; 02-12-2005 at 01:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: artery spasm - Prinzmetals

I really think it is NOT harmless. It's usually tied to severe blockage of at least one coronary artery. There is significant excess increase in MI risk and death, especially during the onset phase.
    If it's accompanied by rhythm irregualrities it becomes significantly more dangerous.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
    cinkay45
    (female)

cinkay45 HB User

Oh thanks. Now I just feel more depressed than I already was.
    I guess it is really hopeless then.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
    NineLives
    Veteran
    (female)

NineLives HB User

My goodness no not hopeless! There are medications available to help you. I used to have spasms following my stent and bypass but I don't now. I realize my situation is different than yours, but hey don't give up. You just need to realize that this is something you really need to take serious and do what you need to do to take care of yourself.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #5
    MacyMaid
    (female)

MacyMaid HB User

How were you diagnosed with this? What were your symptoms? Reason being....I have this also. They did find severe blcokages doing a heart cath after I complained about the severe out of the blue chest pains for 4 years that came on with emotions....I believe they wrote about this in the papers last week. Seemingly they occur more often in older women than younger and more in the female than the man. I have 4 stents and have had 2 attacks since the stents. They are hoping to get rid of these with meds. They told me they cannot by-pass or stent an area that is too deep to get to with me..

I hope to live a long life....Good Luck To You.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:11 AM   #6
    cinkay45
    (female)

cinkay45 HB User

I was actually having heart burn that was going on for quite a few hours. Went to the emergency room and vitals were normal.

They decided to admit me anyway because of symptoms, which really did turn out to be gastric problems also.

I had a nuclear stress test that showed a small abnormality. Doct did a cardiac cath and discovered one of the arteries spasmed as he was trying to get the cath through. Arteries are all clear just had this spasm.

Thanks as I am a basket case right now.

Can't sleep, every pain I think is something, can't eat. I can't seem to calm down. My doctor didn't say anything, just see me in 2 weeks.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #7
    macmember
    (female)

macmember HB User

This is also called Variant Angina and is serious if not treated and monitored. I have had it for 5 years and am still here. Mine is treated with Norvasc, a calcium channel blocker that helps to stop the spasms. I do not think Beta Blockers alone will do it. Read all you can on the subject on the internet and then consider talking with your Doctor about Norvasc. I take 2 a day everyday and when it is worse, I take an extra. This is MORE than the normal dosage that people take for blood pressure. One of my arteries went into spasm while they were doing an angioplasty and it took 3 vials of liquid nitro right to the spasm, to get it open. It felt just like a heart attack, because that is what it is. It closes up and stops the blood flow. Most of mine are also brought on by emotion.
    Good Luck

Old 02-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #8
    cinkay45
    (female)

cinkay45 HB User

I think I will wait and find out everything from my cardiologist. I would hope he put me in the correct medicine. I called it a beta blocker, but could be something else. Imdur is the medicine. It didn't hurt when he found the spasm in my artery. It was almost as if the catheter caused the spasm for just a second and it only occluded 40 - 50%.

I just need to see the doc post hospital and see what he can tell me on the subject.

Thanks everyone.

I am now on Ativan so i can sleep at night and be by myself all day. I work out of my house and not easy sometimes not being around people. My son is 14 and goes to school until 4 and my husband usually doesn't get home until 8:00. Life goes on.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
    NineLives
    Veteran
    (female)

NineLives HB User

Imdur is given for spasms. Sometimes Norvasc is prescribed along with the Imdur and also sometimes nitrostat will also be given with the other two and even nitro patches can also be prescribed.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
    soulembody
    (female)

soulembody HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinkay45
    I was just diagnosed with an artery that spasms. My doctor didn't tell me much at all and I am a little anxious.

I have been put on beta-blockers. Does anyone know anything about spasms in the arteries?

Cinkay45

Old 07-17-2006, 10:28 AM   #11
    Ken289
    (male)

Ken289 HB User

cinkay45: I recommend you read as much as possible about arterial spasm--there can be a variety of causes. Your symptoms and what you are doing when the symptoms happen are critical in diagnosing.

I also suggest you do a search on "spasm" in this heart disorders forum, and you will find some interesting discussion.

I myself am worried about this (after stent placement) and apparently so is my cardio as he prescribed slow release nitro to counter it.

Ken

Old 03-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
    dreamweaver3223
    (female)

dreamweaver3223 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
    I really think it is NOT harmless. It's usually tied to severe blockage of at least one coronary artery. There is significant excess increase in MI risk and death, especially during the onset phase.
    If it's accompanied by rhythm irregualrities it becomes significantly more dangerous.
    Sorry, but this response is absolutely incorrect. Coronary artery spasms, (Prinzmetal's, variant angina, whatever term you choose to call it) has nothing to do with blockages within the arteries. It is true that spasms may occur during angiograms that discover blockages, but spasms are are NOT caused by blockages. I was diagnosed with Prinzmetal's in 2005 after having severe chest pains and after the 1st angiogram that revealed a 98% blockage in my right coronary artery and a medicated stent inserted, I continued to have chest pains. 3 angiograms later, over the course of 18 months, there were no more blockages found, but my Cardiologist found severe spasming within the RCA. Since then I have read everthing there is to read on Prinzmetals Angina, and doctors are still not sure what causes this disorder. I am involved in a Prinzmental's study at the Jewish Hospital in Cinncinnati, where they are working on the theory that there are 2 genes that may prove to have something to do with these spasms, and they involve the absence of Nitric Oxide within the arterial walls, which may be a contributing factor. In my case one of the genes is mutant and my body is not producing enough N.O., which they believe is contributing to the spasms. Of course, the other 2 biggest culprits believed to play a role in artery spasms are smoking and stress. I wear a nitro patch 24 hours a day and use nitrolingual spray when the spasms get intense. 2 sprays within 10 minutes usually help the spasms subside and the chest pain is relieved. Don't get me wrong, these spasms can be dangerous ("not harmless") if not kept under control with some from of nitro, (and possibly other meds), but they RARELY result in a M.I. (heart attack). For someone to suggest that you should be constantly stressed out and worried that they will result in a heart attack, or that you probably have a severe blockage, is not a responsible answer. Don't be afraid to ask your Cardiologist every question you can possibly think of regarding this rare disorder. If he doesn't appear to have any answers or seems disinterested in your ***** for knowledge about your spasms, I suggest you find another Cardiologist. I know your question was posted quite a while ago, but if you happen to read this, you might want to get in touch with the Jewish Hospital Cholestal Center and inquire about joining the study. It is free to participants and only involves sending 2 vials (which they supply you with via mail) if blood to them to study. They will email you the results within 2-3 weeks. Many of the other responses you got were accurate and correct. Good luck and don't let it keep you in a constant state of panic and/or stress!!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Sorry dreamweaver,

My post is correct as it stands.
    If you do some research on Prinzemetal's or variant angina you will see repeated over an over again that MOST people with it have severe coronary artery disease.

The American Heart Association says:
    "About two-thirds of people with it have severe coronary atherosclerosis."

Closed Thread