It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

Heart Problems.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
earck
(male)

earck HB User
Heart Problems?

Hi I am 20 years old and overweight. About 8 weeks ago i started have a pressure feeling in chest and went into the ER. They diagnosed me with a-typical chest pain and sent me home. 3-4 weeks later i still continued to feel the pain but also started have upper abdomen pain, i went to a GP and they gave me an EKG, everything was normal. She put me on Prilosec thinking it may be GERD. That night the feeling in chest returned so I went to the ER, the ran another EKG along with a bunch of bloodtests and all came back normal. After a week of taking the prilosec i did start feeling better and the doctor took me off of it to see if that really did help. At this point I started going on long walks to help get into shape because i had an elevated BP and I need to get into shape. These walks (3-5 miles) did not make my symptoms worse at all. About a week after getting off the prilosec i started getting very sick to my stomach so I went to the GP again and she put me back on the prilosec again. Now a week later my stomach feels much better. However now when i go for a walk I've been getting a tired feeling and a little pressure in my chest, this is after a .5 mile - 1 mile walk. Just 2 weeks ago i felt fine walking that distance but now i am fatigued and weak after it. After the walk it seems that my heart rate isn't elevated a whole lot, maybe a little but excersing might do that, and I have been breathing normally during the whole thing.

Could this be GERD or anxiety? I have had quite a bit of anxiety over the last 2 months thinking I might be having heart problems. Or does it sound like a heart problem?

Last edited by earck; 04-24-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Quietcook
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Heart Problems.

Gerd can give you pain which may manifest itself as chest pain. It can even trigger asthma attacks when the acid gets into lungs. It truly can be difficult for the patient to tell the difference between GERD and heart with the pain, but if your EKGs have been normal and you responded to the Prilosec, then it is most likely GERD.

Do you also have a hiatal hernia? I've read that more than 50% of our population does, some less severe than others. A larger hernia can be letting so much acid into the esophagus that it can give you the pain. If your doc recommends staying on the Prilosec and it works, that's great. If they run a test or two and find that you do have a hernia that needs repair, it can be done through tiny incisions with scopes and the recovery for me was much easier than other surgeries. It's been great not having the pain and asthma attacks that GERD can trigger.

Hope you can do a bit of research on the hernias, Gerd and perhaps discuss it further with your doc. May be time for some diagnostic x-rays with barium and then it might be easier to know if you needs meds to be continued or perhaps even seek repair of a hernia to eliminate the problem. Hope you find out something more definitive soon so you can be at ease that it isn't your heart.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread