It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Can you have mitral valve regurgitation w/o MVP?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
    pajamaqueen
    (female)

pajamaqueen HB User
    Can you have mitral valve regurgitation w/o MVP?

I had an echo and chest x-ray done a couple of weeks ago, and my doctor said that everything came back normal except that I have minor mitral valve regurgitation. From what I can gather from my online sleuthing is that MR is a complication or result of MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse.) So if I have even minor MR, it seems to me that would mean I have MVP. Is that right?

My doctor wants me to see a cardiologist just to make sure that minor regurgitation is OK so I'll be seeing him later next month. But in the meantime I was just curious about the relationship between MR and MVP and hoped some of you may know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #2
    lucylane
    (female)

lucylane HB User
    Re: Can you have mitral valve regurgitation w/o MVP?

I have a leaky mitral valve (mild). It was diagnosed 5 years ago and I recently had it looked at agan and it remained the same. If it remains mild, there is nothing to worry about. Just remember to take antibiotics before dental exams or operations. I am having a d&c tomorrow and I had to fill out forms regarding my health. One spot was for mitral valve regurgitation and prolapse. My heart doctor said to check off them both.

I have pulsatile tinnitus (heart beat sound in ear), but my doctor said mitral valve probably didn't cause it.

Since my mitral valve leak was the same as 5 years earlier, I only have to have it looked at in another 5 years. Don't worry if you have a mild leakage, because a lot of people do I'm told.

Closed Thread