It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• fast heart rate HHR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
    spencer123
    (male)

spencer123 HB User
    fast heart rate HHR

I'm 15 years old and i have at times a very fast heart rate. Sometimes, the rapid heart rate is brought on by anxiety and stress (worrying about my heart). But sometimes, i cannot explain it and it is beating fast for no reason. When i excersize, my heart keep beating at a rapid rate for up to hours after i have stopped excersizing. I went to the ER not to long ago (a couple of months) because my heart was beating fast at around 125 bpm. At the ER, they did an EKG and took blood to check for thyroid problems. Both came back normal and i followed up with my pcp and he said he doubted that i had heart problems and they are most likely from anxiety he offered to send me to a cardiologist but he said he strongly doubted that we needed to. He looked at the ekg and said that it was normal besides the fact that it was beating at 125 bpm. I went back to get my physical and he said that when i stand up my heart rate increased to 120-130 bpm but it usually goes back down after i have been standing for awhile. i have no symptoms other than a fluttering feeling in my chest and sometimes a wet feeling almost as if it feels like there is a hole in my heart. Also when i have anxiety about it and i lay down i can feel it beating hard and i can see it beating in my chest and sometimes my stomach as well. When i take a hot shower, it beats very hard and fast. Can anybody give me an information as to what i might have and why my heart does this? could it be that i just have a high heart rate variability or other problems? This is worrying me to death and at sometimes i just break down and cry from the anxiety that it gives me. Thanks

-Spencer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
    MrsPM
    (female)

MrsPM HB User
    Re: fast heart rate HHR

You did the right thing by seeing your doctor. You're doctor's probably right that you don't have a heart problem given your age and the fact that your tests came back normal. Some things that can increase your heart rate are anxiety, exercise, fever, caffeine, even consuming certain types and amounts of food. As for taking a hot shower and feeling your heart rate increase, it's your body's way of responding to the heat. You should try taking a cooler shower. I have the same problem because I'm very sensitive to the heat.
    Try not to worry about it because that will cause more stress which may in turn cause more rapid heartbeats. Good luck

Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
    Shauny
    Inactive
    (male)

Shauny HB User

i myself suffer from this.

sometimes nothing for weeks, then BANG..i can hear it again
    i got a fill checkip at the hospital, and they put it down to anxiety (not that i though it was that)

HEAT...well my bedroom is an oven, and on warm nights my hearts gets all wierd.
    i THINK its going fast, i check it, and its like 80-90 BPS ..very normal huh

thing is, i can swear its going faster...i take my pulse (or the wifey does it) several times..and every time its normal

so, iv been checked fully, i know its nothing serious, and i check it myself.

i just have to live with thisi guess.

i know it happens, it goes away..and i know it will return
    knowing this ^^ makes it easier

Old 08-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
    Kathy C
    (female)

Kathy C HB User

Spencer123,

FOR your peace of mind why don't you get that Cardiology refferal and just see what the doctor has to say. YOu are not to young for heart problems. Alot of doctors dismiss arrhythmias or heart rhythm problems as stress and anxiety. I am not say you have a problem but who knows you might. If you get a clean bill of health from the Cardiologist after he has run some tests then you can put you mind at ease.

I have heart rhythm problems so I do understand what you are experiencing this is why i suggest this.

Kathy

Old 08-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
    spencer123
    (male)

spencer123 HB User

I went back to the doctor for a physical and i told him that it was still worrying me to death so he went ahead and gave me the refferal to the cardiologist and i will be seeing him sometime in september. hopefully everythings ok so i will quit worrying about it. I've also read that if u worry enough about something u can give yourself symptoms that u think might be related to that problem.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 PM   #6
    ccdean

ccdean HB User

hey i know how u feel, im 20 yrs old and i suffer from panic disorder. Every once in a while ill feel my heart jump or race. Yest i was in the er for something totally different when i kept setting my pulse ox alarm off.. the oxygen saturation was 85-100 and pulse went upto 175 ( which i doubt cause i felt my pulse and it was normal ). I think thinking about it can really mess things up. So take it from me and relzx and just tell yourself its all in your head, it will work i promise you! and to the other reply , i doubt u have any heart problems , ekg are a very good source of info, and you bein 15 is highly actully VERY unlikley u have anything. SO try to relax, its the best thing for your heart

Old 08-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
    spencer123
    (male)

spencer123 HB User

Everyday i pray to god that i dont have any heart problems or any health problems for that matter because it just tears me apart. I'm only 15! i HAVE to find some kind of treatment to get my head off of it if there isnt anything wrong. 15 years old and i'm worrying about having a heart attack or another major heart complication and it literally just makes me mad at myself. One thing that i have noticed though

At night, my body seems to either just be so tired of the stress or i just get relaxed at night my pulse is actually in the 60's. Its usually during the day that i'm stressed out and my pulse is jumpy and i get those wierd sensations in my chest. I'm going back to the doctor in a few days and hopefully he will reassure me some more.

Closed Thread