It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Fast Heart Rate (Please Help)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
    Pawjin
    (male)

Pawjin HB User
    Fast Heart Rate (Please Help)

Just a week ago I had to get to the ER due to a heart rate of 160. Thankfully it wen't down to 100-120 and I was then discharged. I'm very worried one whats happening with me because when I got tested for Blood Presure I was fine and Oxygen Levels in the blood I was fine, even my heart was perfectly fine. I have been to the ER 2 more times due to this problem again, however they just discharge me after I relax a bit.

I went to see a Cardiologists about this problem and still am waiting for answers. I was given a heart recording box to record my beats for 24 hours so I hope they find something.

The odd thing I find is I have never had a single problem in my life like ever since I was a baby and just last week and it happend out of the blue, very scary for what happening and how they can't fix the problem.

It's even getting to the point I'm having these fast heart beat attacks at home now a few times a day which is making my life very unliveable in a sense. I did a lot of net surfing on this myself and there are others with this same problem as me. If anyone could help me to why this is happening that would be very helpful! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 05:08 AM   #2
    richdaws1984
    (male)

richdaws1984 HB User
    Re: Fast Heart Rate (Please Help)

Look up SVT. Super Ventricular Tachycardia. (i think thats how you spell it)

It wheres your heart random starts beating supidly fast. It can have triggers, such as stress, cafine, even stretching, but it also occurs out of the blue.

It can be really scary. Especially if you get panicy, its just spirals out of control. The last thing you want to do is become obsessed with your heart and how fast it beats. Believe me it is better to try and forget about it!!!

If it keeps happening, dont be suprised if you have to take pills. Beta blockers are designed to slow the heart down as are calcium channel blockers.

The problem with your heart beating fast is that the blood flow around your body is not as effecient. After long periods of the heart beating fast it will obviously get tired out.

Some people with SVT have heart rates well over 200.

Basically if you find your heart beating fast for over an a few hours then thats when its probably time to get help.

Good luck with getting some answers and dont worry. If you feel like your gettin ignored by doctors then keep perstering and pestering until they sort you out!!!

Rich

Old 09-26-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
    Pawjin
    (male)

Pawjin HB User

Thanks for that reply! I'll take a look at SVT and see what thats about, but yea I have been thinking about my heart too much. What I'm doing now is when I feel like it's going to speed I don't bother take my pulse because it makes me panic a lot. I really belive anxiety (How ever it's spelt) has a bit to do with this, because I was freaking out a lot when it happend. I'm going to be taking some herb med. to slow the rate of the heart since this seems to be on a regular bases. I really would like the doctors to help but discharging me on 120 beats per min. wasn't to nice of them, of course the guy in charge was pretty shocked, even when I had to come there the 2nd time just to get a referal. Well I really hope I get better soon, I'm sure anyone going through what I am knows that you can't live with this untreated. Well thanks for responding and take care!

Old 09-26-2005, 05:44 AM   #4
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

It's spelled Supraventricular tachycardia. There are a few other tachycardias that you could have as well, but SVT does seem likely.

Last edited by Timber; 09-26-2005 at 05:46 AM.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
    Pawjin
    (male)

Pawjin HB User

I'm also getting weird sting feelings in my heart area aswell. For just a few seconds at a time.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #6
    camtorres15
    (female)

camtorres15 HB User

Hi Pawjin~
    I'm in a kind of similar situation. About a month ago I had a really bad anxiety attack (at least that's what I think it was) and my heart was beating SO FAST. I thought I was having a heart attack! I mean, I didn't have pain, feel faint, or anything like that...it just scared me to death. I finally calmed down. I had never had anything like that happen to me before. I went to doctor and my EKG was normal, all that good stuff. I had all the heart tests done several years ago for palpitation issues and they always said it was b/c of stress, anxiety, and hormones. Anyway, after the little episode last month I became obsessed with how fast my heart was beating. Constantly checking my pulse mainly. If I thought it was too fast, then it would speed up. It was making my life miserable! I started taking a very low dose of beta blockers and it has been nothing but positive! My heart rate is nice and steady and calm and I don't worry about it. Believe me, it took a couple weeks to feel 'normal' again. I had convinced myself that there was something wrong with my heart. So I am not sure if it is anxiety or if maybe it is a touch of SVT, but all I know is I feel 100% better now thanks to the meds. I hope that your doctor figures out what is causing your fast heart rate and hopefully a beta blocker will help you too. Please let us know!!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
    richdaws1984
    (male)

richdaws1984 HB User

LOL - i get them little stinging things as well.

Its like someone jabs my heart with a needle for a second then takes it back out. I like you had a couple of episodes where my heart went into overdrive for no reason.

I ended up at A and E. I I had hundreds of tests and all come back fine apart from a fast heart beat.

Of cause i get worked up and panic and this just makes it 10 times worse!!

I take calcium channel blockers now. My heart still beats really fast on occassions, usually when im in social situations, maybe linked to slight anxiety. It took me months to get the thought of my heart out of my head.

I was obsessed with checking my pulse, about 30 times a day. I still do it now but much much less. I dont let it effect me. What will happen will happen, if my heart beats fast then i dont care anymore...

My average heart beat is about 75. At night its about 60 and when im in social situations its about 120.

Doctors have very contrasting opinions on heart rates. One doctor told me that if my heart ever beats over 100 for more than and hour i must go to hospital. Then i was speaking to a nurse in hospital and she is one of the few hundred thousand people that have naturally high heart rates....hers never goes below 110 all day long and shes still alive and kicking!!!

I suppose the more beats your heart makes the quicker it will get tired and the sooner it will stop...if my life is cut short by 2 years then thats just the way it goes!!!! nothing i can do about it.

lol - get treatment and move on....dont put your life on hold and dont think about it! (I probably wouldnt think about it at all but im reminded about it twice a day at least, because thats when i have to take my pills!!!!)

Old 09-26-2005, 06:18 PM   #8
    Excelsoir

Excelsoir HB User

I am not medically trained and can only speak from personal experience and knowledge.It sounds as though you are being well looked after etc with the necessary monitoring to identify and explain if possible your abnormal heart rhythm. It sounds like these episodes could be Atrial Fibrillation. In itself it in not a life-threatening arrhythmia, but as you say very uncomfortable to say the least.Hopefully the monitor will "catch" it for your doctors to identify and treat the condition with medication. It is not an uncommon problem especially in the older age groups.
    I hope this problem can soon be identified and treated. Please remember, that I am making a layman's contribution only.
    All the best,
    Excelsoir

Old 09-26-2005, 11:36 PM   #9
    Pawjin
    (male)

Pawjin HB User

Well I do hope something does get found but I have been untreated for a week and discharged 2 times with a bad heart rate and I'm not even 20 years old yet. I'm taking some natural med. such as St. Johns Wort for the Anxeity and a few others for the heart problems. I'm hopeing these will solve my problems, only thing is I have to wait 1 week - 2 weeks before they really kick in since there not like doctor meds. I'll keep an update on how its working though.

Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 AM   #10
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

I would NOT - repeat would NOT - be taking ANYthing, especially herbs, before getting a diagnosis and treatment from a Dr. These herbs are not tested by the FDA..and they can be dangerous to ppl with certain conditions. I would not be taking these if I were you.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #11
    Pawjin
    (male)

Pawjin HB User

These have been tested so I would assume there fine.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:43 AM   #12
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pawjin
    These have been tested so I would assume there fine.
    Tested by whom? And you dont even know what condition you may have. There is no way to know it is safe for you to take this stuff.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
    Pawjin
    (male)

Pawjin HB User

In what ways are these herbs listed dangerous.

- Garlic
    - Hawthorn
    - Magnesium
    - CO Q10
    - St. John's Wort (Photosensitivity is a side effect)

Old 09-27-2005, 08:52 AM   #14
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pawjin
    In what ways are these herbs listed dangerous.

- Garlic
    - Hawthorn
    - Magnesium
    - CO Q10
    - St. John's Wort (Photosensitivity is a side effect)
    I did not say they ARE dangerous..I said that some herbals CAN be in some ppl with certain conditions. Since you have not been diagnosed I said it is best to discuss with Dr. Actually ANYone should discuss taking any herbals with their Drs. Magnesium and CoQ10 are not herbs. Hawthorn and St Johns Wort, I would be careful with. Thats all I am saying. It wont hurt you to make a call and just run it by the Doc.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #15
    Pawjin
    (male)

Pawjin HB User

Example of Doctors not knowing what they are talking about. Gingko Biloba can be used for vascular problems such as Raynaud's Syndrome. The Doctor said this would not cause a fast heartbeat but that Kava could. Kava happens to be used for anxiety which would mean it would not be a stimulant. Logically how can this cause a fast heartbeat when in fact it would relax you? In fact, Kava can cause liver problems and because of this I wouldn't take it.

As for St John's Wort it can be used for anxiety and depression and other than photosensitivity in fair skinned individuals it is relatively safe to take in the correct dosages. In fact it is much safer and doesn't have all the adverse side effects of pharmaceutical anti-anxiety and anti-depressants.

Hawthorn is also relatively safe and is used as an anti-arrythimic to help regulate the heartbeat.

How many times do the Doctors tell you the truth about the drugs they give you as to the side effects both short term and long term and any contraindications?

There are contraindications for herbs as well as pharmeceuticals and some pharmeceuticals don't work and are dangerous but you have neglected to state this.

How many drugs have been pulled from the market and how many drugs are not sufficiently tested before they are marketed and then later need to be pulled.

I know that Magnesium and CoQ10 are not herbs. Magnesium is a mineral but it is good for your heart. And CoQ10 is also good for strengthing the heart.

All herbs that I take are thoroughly researched prior to taking for contraindications and side effects and it would seem to me that what you are stating is your opinion but not necessarily facts.

However your fully welcome to your opinions on how herbs are harmful.

Closed Thread