It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Rapid Pulse?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
    Redneck Joe
    (male)

Redneck Joe HB User
    Rapid Pulse?

Hi. This is my first time posting. I am 16 years old, male, and am about 5'3" and weigh 125-130 lbs.

I haven't really worried about my heartbeat much in the past, but one time about a month ago, I got stressed about something, and I felt my heart beating kind of fast. I know that is normal, but that just got me to worry about my heart (just anxiety, more than anything else).

Anyway, what concerns me a bit is that sometimes I check my pulse by holding my thumb on my left wrist, and sometimes it seems that my pulse is wildly out of control for seemingly no reason at all. It could be just a stress or whatever that I'm not aware of. Sometimes my heart seems to beat faster than I think it should. I've talked to my mother about this before a few times, and she thinks it's nothing to be too concerned about because she said that she thought I just simply have a fast heart.

I don't seem to have any symptoms (except for the occasional rapid pulse, of course), so that might rule out any possible conditions. Does anyone know if this is normal or not, and what can be done to keep it under control?

Thanks
    Joey

Last edited by Redneck Joe; 10-31-2005 at 03:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
    camtorres15
    (female)

camtorres15 HB User
    Re: Rapid Pulse?

Hi Joey~

You said that you were stressed out the first time you noticed it. A rapid heartbeat can definitely be caused by stress and/or anxiety, that is what happens to me. And now that you have felt it once, you are more aware of your heart beating. Trust me, I do the exact same thing. If it continues, I would recommend talking to your doctor about it just to make sure it isn't anything to worry about. How fast is your pulse? Anything from about 60 to 100 is considered normal, so if it's somewhere in there try not to worry too much. I know, easier said than done. As for me, I take a teeny tiny dose of beta blockers to keep my heart from racing. Basically a beta blocker helps your heart keep a nice, even rhythm and at the same time lowers your blood pressure. Hope this helps a bit.... Let us know!

Old 10-31-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
    Redneck Joe
    (male)

Redneck Joe HB User

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick response! Usually, my heartbeat stays around the 100 bpm range (often when stressed, or noticed). There have been a few times when it's been slower at around 60 or 70. But sometimes it's gone as high as about 120 or 130 bmp. I'm not sure if it's ever been higher than that, but it could have. But yeah, stress and anxiety is probably the worst of the problem.

Thanks

Last edited by Redneck Joe; 10-31-2005 at 06:27 PM.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
    Kathy C
    (female)

Kathy C HB User

Don't take you pulse with your thumb. It interfers with the heart rate. Use either two or three fingers and don't press hard.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Joey,

That all seems pretty normal for a 16 year old.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

120-130 is a safe rate and not a sign of a problem if it's only intermittent.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
    Redneck Joe
    (male)

Redneck Joe HB User

Thanks for the replies, y'all. Glad to know that its probably nothing to worry about.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
    cabalcjp
    (male)

cabalcjp HB User

I wouldn't take 120-130 as something to just forget and move on with, see a doctor and find out if your ok. Maby it's nothing, but it's better to make sure of it. Like someone else said don't use your thumb reason being when you use your thumb it can give a wrong reading due to a vane I think it was, just use your index finger and even better yet do it on your neck.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
    Redneck Joe
    (male)

Redneck Joe HB User

It's only 120-130 in more rare circumstances. Usually it's not that high.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:24 AM   #10
    Danthespan
    (female)

Danthespan HB User
    Unhappy Re: Rapid Pulse?

Hi i also have a rapid heart beat taken also a small doze of Beeta blockers, PROPRANOLOL anyone else taken theses?....but I really wanted them for worry and nerves.Will beeta blockers help with Anxiety??
    Thanks

Old 11-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #11
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danthespan
    Hi i also have a rapid heart beat taken also a small doze of Beeta blockers, PROPRANOLOL anyone else taken theses?....but I really wanted them for worry and nerves.Will beeta blockers help with Anxiety??
    Thanks
    Yes, beta blockers are sometimes prescribed for anxiety. They help by reducing the physical symptoms of panic.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #12
    Redneck Joe
    (male)

Redneck Joe HB User

This morning, I checked my pulse when I wasn't really moving around or anything, and I'd say it was in the 120-130 range. That's what frustrates me. Sometimes, my heartbeats are completely normal, but sometimes they race for no reason at all.

I'm planning to see a doctor in a few months when I get the chance just to see if everything's okay. My mother said that they have medicines to slow heart rates (like you all said, Beta Blockers), but I'd only take medication if my doctor says I should.

Last edited by Redneck Joe; 11-06-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Closed Thread