It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• What is this/anyone had it before?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User
    What is this/anyone had it before?

I've been having chest pains for a while now and was given the all clear on my heart (thankfully ) and am being refered to a gasterentologist. (sp?) The last 6-8 days I've been having occassional stabbing pains that feels like its coming from my lungs and top of chest area around breast area and a constant heaviness/pressure feeling in the centre of my chest. I haven't seen a doctor about it because I got the all clear from my Cardiologist so I didn't think there was much point.

I've also had the same kind of pain which lasted 12 hours about 3 months ago so I went to the ER and was given painkillers and sent home. The painkillers didn't work but the pain did go after 12hours. It was worrying me because I've never had the pain lasting that long before and that's why I went to the ER. But today while I was brushing my hair and still having the heaviness/pressure mainly in the centre of my chest for the last week or so, I felt this strange sensation in my kneck. It felt sort of like palpitations but it wasn't. I did check my heart rate and it was doing 101BPM but thats good for me. My heart rate is usually between 120-135BPM which I think is probably why I was referred to a Cardiologist to make sure everything was ok. Anyway the sensation in my kneck is hard to explain. It was down the left side of my kneck and was a niggling/aching/pressure kind of feeling. And it reminds me of the same pain I've been having in my chest which doesn't go. Thankfully I haven't had any stabbing pains in my chest since this afternoon and the kneck thing seems to of gone. But I was wondering what it was and if anyone else had experienced it before or know what it is?

Im sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place but because it was chest related and I saw a cardio I thought I should post it here.

Anyway thank you .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: What is this/anyone had it before?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by _mystictiger_
    I've been having chest pains for a while now and was given the all clear on my heart (thankfully ) and am being refered to a gasterentologist. (sp?) The last 6-8 days I've been having occassional stabbing pains that feels like its coming from my lungs and top of chest area around breast area and a constant heaviness/pressure feeling in the centre of my chest. I haven't seen a doctor about it because I got the all clear from my Cardiologist so I didn't think there was much point.

I've also had the same kind of pain which lasted 12 hours about 3 months ago so I went to the ER and was given painkillers and sent home. The painkillers didn't work but the pain did go after 12hours. It was worrying me because I've never had the pain lasting that long before and that's why I went to the ER. But today while I was brushing my hair and still having the heaviness/pressure mainly in the centre of my chest for the last week or so, I felt this strange sensation in my kneck. It felt sort of like palpitations but it wasn't. I did check my heart rate and it was doing 101BPM but thats good for me. My heart rate is usually between 120-135BPM which I think is probably why I was referred to a Cardiologist to make sure everything was ok.
    A heart rate of 120-135bpm is not healthy. Even a heart rate of 101bpm is not too healthy depending upon how well the heart is pumping while it is beating that fast. A heart can beat fast, and still pump good. But, a heart can also beat fast and not be pumping too well.

I've got heart disease and insulin resistance. If I consume too many calories, especially at night, I will get chest pain, a racing heart, and heaviness/pressure in my chest would makes for uncomfortable breathing. I'm not a health professional, at all, but I've read that about 25% of the general public is insulin resistant, which is a pre-diabetes type II condition. You might want to look into insulin resistance, if anything, to rule it out as a problem.

Quote:
    Anyway the sensation in my kneck is hard to explain. It was down the left side of my kneck and was a niggling/aching/pressure kind of feeling. And it reminds me of the same pain I've been having in my chest which doesn't go. Thankfully I haven't had any stabbing pains in my chest since this afternoon and the kneck thing seems to of gone. But I was wondering what it was and if anyone else had experienced it before or know what it is?

Im sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place but because it was chest related and I saw a cardio I thought I should post it here.

Anyway thank you .

When the body becomes insulin resistant, it can cause all kinds of nasty effects. I've read accounts of problems with body pain that were cured after going on an insulin resistant diet. Whatcha think? Possibility?

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Hiya Beer

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think a heart rate like that was healthy either but the Echo and 24hr halter monitor came back normal thankfully, so it probably isn't heart related and just "one of them things". I hope thats all it is anyway, lol.

I think I was checked for insulin resistance a few months back. Im pretty sure I was and it came back normal. I did used to eat late at night instead of during the day because I was always busy with something. But I haven't eaten late at night in about 2 or more months now. I'm also using a lot of anti-acid medicine which I buy over the counter for heartburn/acid which I get quite a lot. My doctor will probably say its heartburn but its a completely different pain. I was told I have mildly low oxygen levels so I dont know if this is causing the symptoms...is it possible?

Thank you again.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 PM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by _mystictiger_
    I was told I have mildly low oxygen levels so I dont know if this is causing the symptoms...is it possible?

Thank you again.
    First of all, realize that there are no health professionals on these forums, only people with their own health issues who are trying to share knowledge and experience.

That said...... when my asthma acts up, my oxygen levels are slightly lower.

Also, many people have fast heart rates, or other heart rhythm problems, without there being any serious heart damage or heart defects. In my opinion, most heart rhythm problems are related to either allergies or chemical sensitivites.

However, it is not good for the heart to be under the constant stress of a fast beat. The heart is an amazingly strong organ, and it can tolerate a lot of abuse. One could lose 50% of their heart's ability to pump and still live a good quality of life. Even so, regardless of what your doctors say, you should make it a priority to get your heart beating at a normal rate, most of the time, IMHO.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Hiya Beer

Thanks for replying again. Its very kind of you.

Yes I know there's no health professionals on here (apart from a rare few) and I too come on here to try and share my knowledge and experience best that I can.I think its good to help others.

I have asthma too but I've never had my oxygen levels go low before. I'm probably worrying over nothing lol.

I did go into cardiac arrest at the begining of this year (Febuary) out of the blue but there was no reason for it as far as I know. My doctors haven't said anything anyway or seem interested but I've got no idea why it happened. I'm just glad I was at hospital at the time it happened.

Have a great thanksgiving too and thank you again.

Old 11-25-2005, 02:59 AM   #6
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

I've "elephant" sitting on my chest all the time. I don't know why

I've sugar leaking in my urine. Glucose test (non fasting) 9.1 ; 7.6 & 6.4. My mum has diabete. Dr wants to do a fasting one but I scare of having a needle. Other than having an elephant, I have a "train" likes heart. It looks like "train stopped all stations" or sometime "express train". my EF is 59% show in Echo report, March 2005. Am my heart still healthy?

My oxygen intake is pretty good. Always in 98%-100% range.

What is "insulin resistant" means? Thanks for looking at my post.

Pika.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:58 AM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pika
    I've "elephant" sitting on my chest all the time. I don't know why

I've sugar leaking in my urine. Glucose test (non fasting) 9.1 ; 7.6 & 6.4. My mum has diabete. Dr wants to do a fasting one but I scare of having a needle. Other than having an elephant, I have a "train" likes heart. It looks like "train stopped all stations" or sometime "express train". my EF is 59% show in Echo report, March 2005. Am my heart still healthy?

My oxygen intake is pretty good. Always in 98%-100% range.

What is "insulin resistant" means? Thanks for looking at my post.

Pika.
    Insulin Resistance is a very common ailment. Up to 25% of the general public gets it. If it is not reversed, it usually leds to diabetes type II. It's cause could be hereditary. In many people it is caused by years of consuming too many daily calories/carbohydrates. The pancreas pumps more insulin in order to deal with the excessive calories. The cells of the body can't handle the increased insulin, so the body becomes less sensitive to insulin, forcing the pancreas to pump even more insulin.

Since insulin is very important to the functioning of one's body, when someone becomes insulin resistant, all kind of hell breaks out, including times of difficulty breathing, sweating, heart rhythm problems, high blood pressure, fatigue, mental fogginess, mood swings, pain, etc. Though Insulin Resistance is difficult to test for, high cholestrol readings and especially high triglyceride readings are possible signs of someone being Insulin Resistant. Once again, it is a very common ailment.

My blood sugar has aways been normal, so I didn't know that I was Insulin Resistant. Since I've gone on an insulin resistant diet, many of my health problems have gotten much better, including my high blood pressure, chest pains and labored breathing problems. I've got more energy and I feel better than I've felt in years. For me, this is saying quite a lot, because I've also got heart failure and other heart and health issues.

Last edited by Machaon; 11-25-2005 at 04:43 AM.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:45 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

tiger,

Assuming that your heart is perfectly ok, I'm going to go with the MOST LIKELY cause as being impningement in a spinal nerve in your upper chest (thoracic) or lower neck (cervical.) A chiropractor or some gentle traction can often "cure" it...If you're ingenious you can often figure out a way to do it at home...a good drugstore can sell you a cheap traction rig you hang over a door.

But tell me how the cardiologist cleared your heart? Did you have a stress test with a nuclear scan? Or any stress test?
    Does the pain get worse if you try to run for 5 or 10 minutes?

If it's not nerve impingement, nor cardiac, then I'll go with costochondritis...an inflammation to the tendon system holding the ribs, sternum, and backbone together. For THIS there's nothing to do but let it heal and take your favorite anlagesic. My current favorite is naproxen (Alleve or Naprosyn, or better, BRAND X!)

Last edited by Lenin; 11-25-2005 at 05:45 AM.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Hi there Lenin

Thank you for your reply. Its very kind of you.

The cardiologist cleared my heart by doing a 24hr halter monitor test and a Echocardiogram. I was given a ECG too which was normal apart from the fast heartbeat and I was told my blood pressure was high at the time.

Yes the pain does get worse when I run. The pain goes all over my chest when I'm running for a few minutes, my legs feel strange and heavy, I become very breathless and usually cant speak and sweat or become flushed. I did think this was my asthma though.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:11 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Tiger,

Testing not good enough to eliminate a biggie: ANGINA. For that you need either a stress test with nuclear scan (not echogram) or the gold standard, a percutaneous angiogram (arterial catheter.)

A diagnosis of GERD isn't good enough, a Holter or an ECG can't be counted on to dimiss or diagnose ischemic angina from coronary blockage.

IF you get chest pain (or heartburn), weakness and shortness of breath from moderately severe aerobic exercise and the pain is quickly eased once the exercise is stopeed, you've got Angina Pectoris.

Til you get the nuclear stress test make sure you take one or two regular aspirin every day without fail.

With those clear symptoms, what I'd do, AND DID, is just skip the stress test and go right for the angiogram. That may not be everyone's opinion, but I feel it pretty strongly in your case. My cardiologist and I were in complete agreement.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-26-2005 at 06:12 AM.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Hiya Lenin,

Thanks for your reply again.

To be honest I was thinking Angina too but because I'm young I think the cardiologist has ruled it out. There is a very long history in my family of heart disease but it usually occurs while in their 40s. It does in my family anyway so I thought I was too young for this.

I do get a lot of heartburn which I take anti-acids for and the pain/breathlessness happens usually when I'm doing mild exercise or even running up the stairs to get something from my bedroom. It can happen when I'm at rest too and watching TV but its rare when that happens. Anytime I have a breathless episode (usually come out of the blue) I do experience bad chest pain also but I put that down to my asthma. I'm still having the pressure feeling in my chest so I'm thinking of seeing my doctor next week to sort it out. I'll probably just get given painkillers though as there not very helpful at my surgery.

Ouch a angiogram sounds painful. I know it isn't but it just gives me the willies thinking about it lol. (Im a wimp with needles etc).

I dont think I can take asprin because I have a blood disorder where my blood doesn't clot. I'll have to ask my doctor about that before I take any but I'll definitely try to take them if it stops this chest pain and symptoms.

I've been discharged from the cardiologist now so I'll probably need to ask my GP for a angiogram referral. Hopefully I'll get one to find out whats going on.

Thank you again.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:29 AM   #12
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mystictiger,

The aspirin will not remove symptoms of angina, alas. What it DOES is keep your platelets from clumping and starting a clot. People with clogged arteries have many narrow passages. Any clot that forms in the area can readily block one of these narrrowings and cause a heart attack.

Tell your GP all your symptoms...he'll probably oreder a nuclear stress test first or send you directly to a cardiologist (see someone else just to get a second approach)...go along with it.

You DO need a close look. Pain and breathlessness on light exercise are almost SURE signs of ischemic angina and the heartburn in just the icing on the cake of that diagnosis.

Call your doctor TOMORROW and ask him if you can take aspirin because you have chest pain and breathlessness going up steps...that should get the ball in motion. If not, get another GP (gatekeeper ).

Last edited by Administrator; 04-16-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #13
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Hiya again Lenin.

I will definitely call my GP tomorrow and try to get a appointment for the same day. Hopefully the appointment will be no later than wednesday.

I will also ask about the asprin and hopefully it does get the ball in motion. Thank you again.

Closed Thread