It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• What Questions Should I Ask My Cardiologist?? Please help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
    dpv
    (male)

dpv HB User
    What Questions Should I Ask My Cardiologist?? Please help.

Okay...I am a 36 year old male who recently had blood work done. The result was high cholesterol (210). I had received a score of 200 a few years ago. At any rate, I was also have some somewhat persistent, if not general, pains in my chest (though nothing sharp or stabbing). I went to the doctor and he sent me to get a Cardiolite Stress Test. Well, that happened last week and I received a phone call on Friday that gave me good news and bad news. It went something like this:

Nurse: "Mr. Doe. We have the results of your Stress Test back. Everything looks fine. There doesn't seem to be any blockages and there is good blood flow".

Me: "Okay...good"

Nurse: "However, we are seeing scarring in part of the heart which means you have had a heart attack in the past".

Me: "Uh........Uh....."

Nurse: "So we would like to schedule you to see a cardiologist".

So I have an appointment with the Cardiologist tomorrow. Needless to say, I am a variety of emotions right now (not the least of which is confused). I don't remember any heart attack. And, in fact, I have been running on and off for about 8 years now. In a normal week, I can run about 12 - 15 miles without much of a problem (and I don't feel any chest pains while running). I have stopped running this past week or so (I had bronchitis a few weeks ago and then, with this news, I was a bit worried about running).

What I need to know is what are the questions I need to ask the cardiologist in circumstances like this?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
    Jayess
    (male)

Jayess HB User
    Re: What Questions Should I Ask My Cardiologist?? Please help.

Consider yourself lucky to have had the stress test. The findings are not unusual, in my opinion, as quite a few people have undetected heart attacks.
    Your cardiologist will probably explain this and what to watch for. I would think he will probably get the chols. lower, keep a watch on the b/p and other factors and tell you to enjoy life. The American Heart Assoc. has plenty of info as does every heart center hospital, such as your state university, Cleveland clinic etc. . Above all, have full confidence in your doctors. Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins have great web sites with info but, my advice, don't go overboard on too much knowledge and dicussion groups.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
    Re: What Questions Should I Ask My Cardiologist?? Please help.

I learned more than a year ago I had a damaged heart. It came as a surprise to me, too. I never had a warning; medically it is referred to silent ischemia.

There appears to be an inconsistency to say you have "good blood flow" and a scarred heart!? With my condition, over the years a totally blocked coronary artery had/has been bypassed by collateral vessels. But there isn't "good blood flow"! You need an explanation.

Also, you will want to know the underlying cause for the "heart attack and scarring". Many times there is pain, chest discomfort, feeling of pressure referred to medically as angina. Angina does not have to be a sharp and/or stabbing pain. Angina almost always is due to ischemia (diminished blood flow to the heart) and it is the result of blocked coronary arteries. So to report there are no blocked arteries is questionable.

It is possible to have damaged heart muscle from an illness, medication or abuse.

Closed Thread