It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Help! Does anyone know a cardiologist?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 AM   #1
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User
    Help! Does anyone know a cardiologist?

Hello, Please help if you know anyone that can help, I feel very few can. My symptoms are very different than many listed here. You may also be surprised to hear I'm 29 years old, and may find my symptoms are very unlike most problems.

I am currently seeing a cardiologist, I won't go into details, but I've had a chest x ray, an echocardiogram, a halter monitor, an event monitor, and a nuculear stress test. Although my Dr. hasn't talked to me about the event monitor yet (upcoming appointment) he has diagnosed me with premature atrial contractions, which although can be minor, the question remains, why is it there?

Currently I get heart palpitations, sparattically, without an increased heart rate. I dont smoke, and rarely drink. I had a small run in with a drug ecstacy 6 months ago, but dont have much heart problems in my family.

Currently im on clonazepam, which helps but doesnt solve the problem. I was told my heart is relatively healthy. But i still get these very serious palpitations that feel like a 9 volt battery is being stuck to me chest. It only lasts a beat, but is VERY deep. It feels like an electrical problem. Sometimes it subsides for a week or 2, and like tonight it just happened 4 times. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's not necessarily painfull in the usual sence, but it rates an 11 on the uncomfortability scale. This has been going on about 6 months since I did the x, but not sure if thats whats even causing it. I am relatively healthy, 29, dont smoke, rarely drink, never did hardcore drugs. I do have a high stress job im not willing to leave, 2 kids a wife, i dont eat as well as i should in terms of as much, i weigh 130lbs. My family Dr. put me on clonazepam which is a mild narcotic sedative which helps, but doesn;t resolve the issue. I had sever panic attacks and anxiety disorders (none diagnosed) one of which included a 4 hour terror binge to the ER after my doctor perscribed exffexor.

I feel as if I might seriously die, but i dont show any signs of heart attack or any heart conditions other than a possible arrythmia, and the pre mature atrial contractions, which is very vague. These symptoms are very strange, I of course haven't touched any illegal drugs since, and avoid excessive caffeine.

In a sence it's very annoying, extremely scared, uncomfortable, in a state of pain and although I'm told it's rather benign and a nuscience, im convinced it has either signifigantly shortened my natural lifespan, or simply I'll keel over at any moment and die.

I dont have much faith in modern medicine, the dr's haven't told me much of anything, took a bunch of tests that appear to be normal. But this condition, if im the first of its kind, is extremely serious to me a sive never felt anything like this before and have always been a good healer, my lineage is relatively healthy as well with no known immediate heart problems. Well, just my moms mom who died when i was 3 but she was an excessive alcoholic and smoker. My mom too smoked and drank heavily but stopped when i was 4 25 years ago. She had an anyurism and brain surgery 5 years ago, but they found it and shes fine. I dont drink rarely, and have never smoked.

Please help if theres any cardio vascular surgeon or cardiologist out there that knows what this is. It's basically my heart feels like its getting a shock, a strong electrical shock very sparratically. But oddly enough, they mostly happen at night when im tired and possibly malnutritished.

please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 05:06 AM   #2
    Kathy C
    (female)

Kathy C HB User
    Re: Help! Does anyone know a cardiologist?

Ok this may sound harsh but YOU are not going to die. The doctors have told you what is worng which is PACs which is a type of arrhythmia. This is not a very serious condition and alot of times it happens to very healthy people for no reason. YOU are not the only one with this problem read throught the threads on this board. You will not be the last one to be diagnosed with this problem either.Your nutrition could be part of your problem and I can tell you your high stress job is apart of the problem.
    PACs are annoying and eventually you will learn to live with them and with medication that will help control them. If you are seeing a Cardiologist that is good listen to them they know what they are talking about. A Cardiovascular WILL NOT do anything for you cause there is nothing to be fixed.

I am not sure what clonazepam is but maybe it needs to be upped.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
    ladychecotah
    (female)

ladychecotah HB User

I don't know where you live, but Dr G R Reddy in Weatherford, Texas is wonderful. He has been treating me since 2002 when the other dr gave up on me and thanks to the good Lord and his skill I am still able to work to help pay for my medicine and insurance.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kathy C
    Ok this may sound harsh but YOU are not going to die. The doctors have told you what is worng which is PACs which is a type of arrhythmia. This is not a very serious condition and alot of times it happens to very healthy people for no reason. YOU are not the only one with this problem read throught the threads on this board. You will not be the last one to be diagnosed with this problem either.Your nutrition could be part of your problem and I can tell you your high stress job is apart of the problem.
    PACs are annoying and eventually you will learn to live with them and with medication that will help control them. If you are seeing a Cardiologist that is good listen to them they know what they are talking about. A Cardiovascular WILL NOT do anything for you cause there is nothing to be fixed.

I am not sure what clonazepam is but maybe it needs to be upped.
    Hi, thanks for your help. If it's *just* pac's, then they're very serious, like I explained, a 9 volt battery sticking to your chest. I understand it may not be life threatening, but how long has this diagnosis been around? I understand i appear to be in no immediate danger, but the question is will it get worse? I'm generally an EXCELLENT HEALER, But these haven't gone away for 6 months. Sometimes they go away for 2 weeks, other times like last night it comes back. But I NEVER had 4 in an hour like last night. It's so scarry, these stupid arrythmia's... Sometimes I pound my chest in anger. It's weird, my heart feels strong, my muscles desire to be worked (more so i should because i have a sitting job) but im always tired. I'm young, not even 30 yet. At this point, I dont know if it was the drug or not (many tell me its not) but i dont even care, i just want to be me again this christmas, thats all I want.

The clonazepam is just a mild sedative. Last time the dr. perscribed me something it was that effexor, after 2 doses, cause or not, it sent me on a 4 hour terror attack to the er that I was thoroughly convinced was a heart attack. With the drug xtc, alot is involved in terms of side effects, panic, anxiety, emotional problems, mood swings, and now heart palps.

I can agree with the nutrition and the stress, but get this. I am quite happy with my job. I have made twice as much money in my line of work as I ever did anywhere else, never once have I said "I can't handle this, I want to quit, or I don't want to do this line of work anymore". If it is stress, it's built up and not on a conscious level.

Please tell me more about these PAC's, I've heard of them, read about them, but what do they mean? Unfortunately, they are there for a reason when they're not suposed to be. I can handle the fact they are benign, but I can't yet handle the fact I have to live with them the rest of my life. At the same time, my heart feels young and strong, and then again at times it just seems ****ed up.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I am a 29 year old mother of 5 and I have PACs. Yes...it feels like there is a 9-volt battery attached to my chest sometimes. My arms get tingly, I get light-headed, I have pressure/pulling in my chest and have trouble breathing. It has been 2 years since they started and they've gotten progressively noticeable. I do not smoke, drink or take in excessive amounts of caffeine. I have found that exercise improves them, magnesium supplements decrease their frequency, maintaining a good sleep cycle, drinking plenty of water and eating small meals every few hours has also helped me. I avoid caffeine/stimulants including sugar as much as possible. I also try to keep my stress level to a minimum by staying organized and saying "no" to many unnecessary activities.

You are by far not alone. Sometimes a couple big deep breaths or forcing yourself to cough can help stop the discomfort during an episode.

I'm uncertain why you feel so strongly that you're situation is unique. PACs are a very common finding on EKG and holter monitoring. It's basically a variation of normal for most people. The treatment is to alleviate troublesome symptoms. If you do not feel your symptoms are being adequately treated then speak with your dr about other options.

If you're concerned that there is some underlying pathology then talk with the cardio about it...he may be able to run more tests to alleviate your concerns.

I'm sorry you're feeling somewhat isolated and fearful. I hope this post is reassuring and encouraging as it's intended to be.

When I first posted here someone suggested magnesium supplements. Do some research on dosages and go from there. I started a supplement about a week ago and it seems to have decreased the frequency some...

Keep posting here for any needed support. We're happy to offer it. PACs can be alarming and at times very scary. Let us know how you're doing!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 12-15-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASDGRMama
    I am a 29 year old mother of 5 and I have PACs. Yes...it feels like there is a 9-volt battery attached to my chest sometimes. My arms get tingly, I get light-headed, I have pressure/pulling in my chest and have trouble breathing. It has been 2 years since they started and they've gotten progressively noticeable. I do not smoke, drink or take in excessive amounts of caffeine. I have found that exercise improves them, magnesium supplements decrease their frequency, maintaining a good sleep cycle, drinking plenty of water and eating small meals every few hours has also helped me. I avoid caffeine/stimulants including sugar as much as possible. I also try to keep my stress level to a minimum by staying organized and saying "no" to many unnecessary activities.

You are by far not alone. Sometimes a couple big deep breaths or forcing yourself to cough can help stop the discomfort during an episode.

I'm uncertain why you feel so strongly that you're situation is unique. PACs are a very common finding on EKG and holter monitoring. It's basically a variation of normal for most people. The treatment is to alleviate troublesome symptoms. If you do not feel your symptoms are being adequately treated then speak with your dr about other options.

If you're concerned that there is some underlying pathology then talk with the cardio about it...he may be able to run more tests to alleviate your concerns.

I'm sorry you're feeling somewhat isolated and fearful. I hope this post is reassuring and encouraging as it's intended to be.

When I first posted here someone suggested magnesium supplements. Do some research on dosages and go from there. I started a supplement about a week ago and it seems to have decreased the frequency some...

Keep posting here for any needed support. We're happy to offer it. PACs can be alarming and at times very scary. Let us know how you're doing!

Love and Prayers, Kelly
    Hey thanks, my only concern is what I'm feeling actually a pac, or worse? I've been told they're benign, but how long has this diagnosis been around, and how are people doing that had this 10 and 20 years ago? I fear this is a death warrent, a ticking time bomb if you will and im enlightened to know its gonna happen and likely how.

Alot are saying its stress, how do i aleviate this? Its not as simple as it sounds. Do beta blockers help pac's? Am I stuck with this condition for the rest of my life?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User

Does this kind of thing go on forever?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

PACs were first recorded in 1910...it's not a new discovery. The phenomena has been around since the first heart beat I would imagine . In the 1970's PACs were given significant attention but they were found to be benign most of the time. In the situations that they are not benign there are accompanying wave reactions on the EKG/holter monitoring.

There are segments called PQRST and J (at least those are the ones I'm aware of). If the waves do not follow a normal pattern (and there are many variations of normal) a cardiologist will determine whether or not there is significant disturbances in the heart that may lead to a cardiac incident and take appropriate action.

You have had so many tests done that point to a healthy heart with benign PACs. It's extremely unlikely that you were misdiagnosed.

Your PACs may be reduced by adopting the suggestions I posted above. I understand your reasoning that there must be a cause but at this point all you can do is reduce the symptoms. You may never locate a cause or it may be as simple as eating more frequently, a magnesium deficiency, possible drug side effects (prescription or otherwise) etc... It's really just trial and error to see what helps.

Why are you on the clonazepam? I wouldn't call it a "mild sedative". It's an anti-seizure med that has sedative effects and anti-anxiety properties. It also lists palpitations as one of the side effects. It can interact with other anti-anxiety meds (did you take the effexor along with the clonazepam?).

Do you feel that you have an anxiety disorder? If so, finding the right med may help reduce the stress you're experiencing. Also, regular exercise is helpful in reducing high stress levels.

The two worst offenders for me are not eating enough and not getting enough sleep (I have insomnia frequently and take meds when I need to).

It's not going to hurt to try the things I suggested. Give it a shot and see if it helps. The magnesium may take a little time but eventually it could help (you know you're taking too much if you get diarrhea).

Beta-blockers and other meds are not anything you want unless you absolutely need them. Frequently the danger of PACs is unnecessary treatments. Drugs have side effects and the benefits have to outweigh the risks. I know you're feeling poorly but meds should be a last resort not your first.

I agree it's a pain to live with them but I've gotten quite used to mine and the accompanying symptoms. I just try to do something to take my mind off of it (I'm in tae kwon do and doing the forms is helpful in my opinion). Try not to think about them...the more you think about them the more aware you become and that can be maddening . Find something else to occupy your mind. Deep abdominal breathing has helped too.

Anyway, I've said enough. Even though I've had PACs for years I just had the holter monitoring done a little over a month ago. I will be seeing a cardiologist in January (I'm seeing the cardio because I have ST segment elevations and I want to hear from him that they're benign rather than hearing it from the PA at my dr's office). So I still have a lot of questions also. What I've shared with you is just from poking around the web and reading everything I can. Knowledge reduces fear. Educate yourself about your condition and talk to your dr if you're still concerned.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

P.S. PACs are simply an extra beat originating in the atrium. It's unlikely that they will get worse (worse as in more frequent not more dangerous) if you avoid triggering substances and situations.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #9
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I forgot to mention that many people with PACs will have thousands of episodes in a day (even tens of thousands). Sometimes they notice them sometimes they don't.

When I lay down to go to bed at night I frequently have what must be hundreds of ectopic beats. Usually they occur every other to every fourth beat until I fall asleep with accompanying symptoms (I only get the symptoms when I'm lying down).

I say that to make the comparison between your PACs and mine. Four episodes in one evening really isn't that much (even though one incident is enough to send some people to the ER... and understandably so!).

I'm not trying to make light of your situation but I'm hoping to bring some perspective to it.

Kelly

Old 12-18-2005, 05:52 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

tailz,

WHat is happening with the PAC is VERY similar to the "9-volt battery stuck in your chest"...you are experience an occasional short circuit in the heart's electrical system that regulates rhythm. Some people get a "spot weld" to burn out the originating spot of this errant electrical burst...the procedure is called ABLATION.

A better drug family than the Klonopin you are taking are the beta-blaockers like atenolol or metoprolol.

If you want to try a very simple aide that many people have good results with, add daily magnesium to your dietary supplements. Take any form of magnesium, Mg (MgO is probably the cheapest at about $4 a bottleful) and take 250- 500 mg. a day. Magnesium is probably the most important element in rhythm regulation.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-18-2005 at 05:57 AM.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    tailz,

WHat is happening with the PAC is VERY similar to the "9-volt battery stuck in your chest"...you are experience an occasional short circuit in the heart's electrical system that regulates rhythm. Some people get a "spot weld" to burn out the originating spot of this errant electrical burst...the procedure is called ABLATION.

A better drug family than the Klonopin you are taking are the beta-blaockers like atenolol or metoprolol.

If you want to try a very simple aide that many people have good results with, add daily magnesium to your dietary supplements. Take any form of magnesium, Mg (MgO is probably the cheapest at about $4 a bottleful) and take 250- 500 mg. a day. Magnesium is probably the most important element in rhythm regulation.
    Wow, thanks lenin, you helped alot. Although your post scares me, ablation if you look it up on [url]www.dictionary.com[/url] and tie the definition to ones heart, is pretty scarry. Won't that cause a "bad spot" on my heart, and requires open heart surgery? Does this mean I am now having "heart problems" at such an early age?

cAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT MAGNESIUM, WHY IT WORKS AND WHERE I CAN GET IT?

Old 12-18-2005, 08:21 PM   #12
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Magnesium is a mineral that everyone needs. You can find it at your local pharmacy or health food store. It is a natural muscle relaxant. It's very useful for those with muscle cramping/twitching of any kind. It is also used to help with depression, stop premature labor, relieve PMS symptoms and treat constipation. Taken before bed it may produce a calming effect and promote sleep as well as possibly reduce the symptoms of restless leg syndrome. It has been known to be effective in treating various cardiovascular symptoms for many years.

Ablation is an invasive (at least it is by my definition!!), destructive, irreversible procedure. It does not require open heart surgery. It is done by radio frequency and a catheter inserted through a vein; it's considered a nonsurgical intervention. The procedure is relatively safe but is not without risks, such as: infection, swelling/bruising, damage to blood vessels and possibly to the entire electrical system of the heart which would require the placement of a pacemaker.

I hope you're able to find an effective solution and some relief. Let us know.

Kelly

P.S. Your tests have not proven that you have a "heart problem". If you're still concerned get a second opinion from another cardiologist. These boards are no substitute for the medical care you would receive from a specialist...only they can determine if you have a "heart problem" .

Heart conditions affect people of all ages...even people who are not born yet.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 AM   #13
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User

Quote:
    Magnesium is a mineral that everyone needs. You can find it at your local pharmacy or health food store. It is a natural muscle relaxant. It's very useful for those with muscle cramping/twitching of any kind. It is also used to help with depression, stop premature labor, relieve PMS symptoms and treat constipation. Taken before bed it may produce a calming effect and promote sleep as well as possibly reduce the symptoms of restless leg syndrome. It has been known to be effective in treating various cardiovascular symptoms for many years.

Ablation is an invasive (at least it is by my definition!!), destructive, irreversible procedure. It does not require open heart surgery. It is done by radio frequency and a catheter inserted through a vein; it's considered a nonsurgical intervention. The procedure is relatively safe but is not without risks, such as: infection, swelling/bruising, damage to blood vessels and possibly to the entire electrical system of the heart which would require the placement of a pacemaker.

I hope you're able to find an effective solution and some relief. Let us know.

Kelly

P.S. Your tests have not proven that you have a "heart problem". If you're still concerned get a second opinion from another cardiologist. These boards are no substitute for the medical care you would receive from a specialist...only they can determine if you have a "heart problem" .

Heart conditions affect people of all ages...even people who are not born yet.
    This information board is so helpful, and my condition is so scarry. Maybe its heart failure and not pac's, that's how dangerous they feel. Magnesium certainly sounds like the better choice. Why do you think ablation is bad? Do you think it's a heart problem, or possibly brain damage to the part that's controlling the heart's electrical system?

I'm sorry, but dude it's been happening all night long... I took 2 .5mg clonazepams which help, but it doesn't solve the issue. Not that's its suposed to. My situation seems to be getting worse? What happens when they get worse, that is, if it is in fact what's happening to me. Do pac's eventually turn into heart failure? Having those electrical discharges can't be good. Does it feel different when you have a heart attack, because most heart attacks aren't electrically generated?

Old 12-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #14
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I don't think ablation is bad...I feel it's necessary for some people. I strongly feel though it should be a last resort since it's irreversible.

As for a brain condition that may be causing your symptoms it's unlikely. Cardiac function is controlled largely by the medulla (part of the brainstem) and a lesion located there can produce arrhythmias but they are accompanied by other symptoms. If you'd like it ruled out request an MRI of the brain. I think tests for the sole sake of peace of mind are always worthwhile.

It doesn't surprise me that they're getting worse. You seem to be very anxious about them and that in and of itself can increase their frequency. I know it's hard not to think about them (especially if you have them often). You really need to find a way to relax though. You do not appear to be in imminent danger of cardiac arrest...your tests would have shown it.

Don't let it run your life...find a way to take control. I suggest you read everything you can about it; as I said before...knowledge reduces fear.

Please let us know how it goes.

Kelly

P.S. If you are experiencing any other vague, seemingly unrelated symptoms such as joint pain, fatigue, intolerance to hot/cold etc...you can request endocrine testing including a metabolic/electrolyte work-up. Imbalances can cause arrhythmias. At least it's something to consider.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #15
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User

Quote:
    I don't think ablation is bad...I feel it's necessary for some people. I strongly feel though it should be a last resort since it's irreversible.

As for a brain condition that may be causing your symptoms it's unlikely. Cardiac function is controlled largely by the medulla (part of the brainstem) and a lesion located there can produce arrhythmias but they are accompanied by other symptoms. If you'd like it ruled out request an MRI of the brain. I think tests for the sole sake of peace of mind are always worthwhile.

It doesn't surprise me that they're getting worse. You seem to be very anxious about them and that in and of itself can increase their frequency. I know it's hard not to think about them (especially if you have them often). You really need to find a way to relax though. You do not appear to be in imminent danger of cardiac arrest...your tests would have shown it.

Don't let it run your life...find a way to take control. I suggest you read everything you can about it; as I said before...knowledge reduces fear.

Please let us know how it goes.

Kelly

P.S. If you are experiencing any other vague, seemingly unrelated symptoms such as joint pain, fatigue, intolerance to hot/cold etc...you can request endocrine testing including a metabolic/electrolyte work-up. Imbalances can cause arrhythmias. At least it's something to consider.
    I don't eat very well, but take vitamins occasionally. I'm sure I'm not getting the calories I should be. I do experience fatigue randomly. The problem is they are very random, alot of times during exercise, like i was walking around the mall and they kept happening, or when i play hard in my band. Maybe it's just nutritional. I even considered taking a temporary disability from work, if only I could afford it.

Thanks for your help ill keep ya updated.

Closed Thread