It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Guaifenesin Syrup/Coricidin cold meds ok?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
    waiting4baby05
    (female)

waiting4baby05 HB User
    Question Guaifenesin Syrup/Coricidin cold meds ok?

I have another question and will call the nurses when I get a chance. However everything is pretty much closed do to the holidays so I am in kind of a bind. I feel horrible and can't take any cold meds because of my heart conditon (Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome). Does anyone have any experience with Corcidin cold medication? It has Guaifenesin in it. And what I have looked up online it says to be careful if you have a heart conditon or high blood pressure. BUT Coricidin is made for those with high blood pressure....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2005, 03:59 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Guaifenesin Syrup/Coricidin cold meds ok?

Guaifenesin is ok to use if you like its effects. Coricidin on the other hand is a rather catch-all term for a whole line of cold medications, some for night time, some for day time, some for cough, some for congestion.
    Make sure you are getting one WITHOUT a decongestant.
    I use guiatuss when I have a bad cough it has guiafenesin and codeine (the very BEST anti cough narcotic.) I wish I could get it WITHOUT the guiafenesin but nobody makes plain codeine syrup and the old codeine terpenhydrate combo which was WONDERFUL just isn't made anymore, alas...It also tasted like a very good GIN!
    Guaifenesin makes me cough more...it's an expectorant, and I don't like the effect one bit.

Another ingredient that hypertensives can use is chlorpheniramine which is an antihistamine, goof for sneezing and watery eyes...and also another sleep aid.
    "Coricidin HBP Cough and Cold" has two ingredients, dextromethorphan for cough and chlorpheniramine antihistamine...no guaifenesin. The Flu formulation adds acepamenophen (Tylenol.)

Unfortunately a snuffy nose will have to be borne with stoicism...all the decongestants raise BP a lot. If DESPERATE use nose drops which deliver the medication to the clog is rather than throughout the whole body...but using nothing is the wiser alternative.

I felt like babbling on about the subject because my other half is coughing up a storm and I am JUST beginning to feel a little "something" in my chest.
    Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-25-2005 at 04:21 AM.

Old 12-25-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by waiting4baby05
    I have another question and will call the nurses when I get a chance. However everything is pretty much closed do to the holidays so I am in kind of a bind. I feel horrible and can't take any cold meds because of my heart conditon (Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome). Does anyone have any experience with Corcidin cold medication? It has Guaifenesin in it. And what I have looked up online it says to be careful if you have a heart conditon or high blood pressure. BUT Coricidin is made for those with high blood pressure....
    Is there any health professional that you can contact? Since you have WPWS, what have you taken, safely, in the past to relieve symptoms?

Healthboards has no health professionals available. The advice you will get, here on Healthboards, is usually from those, like myself, who suffer from health problems, and will offer advice to you without any knowledge or training in your particular health problems.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-25-2005 at 05:31 AM.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
    waiting4baby05
    (female)

waiting4baby05 HB User

I appreciate the advice. I was just diagnosed recentlly with WPW and in the past took the regular cold medications. I have been just roughing it out. And since I am on vicodin for sciatica common sense tells me not to mix stuff. But I have heard that vicodin is also prescribed as a cough suppresant and so far so good. I haven't been coughing that much.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:17 AM   #5
    heartcreature
    (female)

heartcreature HB User

I have taken Coricidin HBP with no ill effects. I tried taking some cold medicines that I had taken pre-heart condition and I get angina when I take them. I was relieved that I could take the Coricidin without any problem. Definitely get approval from your doctor before you take it though.

Closed Thread