It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Could this have been Ventricular Fibrillation? (went to ER)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
    DarkChange
    (male)

DarkChange HB User
    Could this have been Ventricular Fibrillation? (went to ER)

Ok 18/M here. I went to germany this christmas to see my family and I ended up staying for a whole month. Everything went great except when I was supposed to fly back...

I noticed that about 2 months ago I kept having weird sudden strong heart beats which made me caugh alot or sometimes it gave me nauseating sensations. It kind of felt like it my heart was kicking me from the inside. it last about a second.

so at the airport I was waiting with around from them to start boarding and stuff and I noticed that I had palpitations the whole time, I guess I was nervous but then it got worse. I noticed I felt dizzy while I tried to get my passport out of my backpack and then I checked my pulse on my neck and I noticed my heart rate was very fast and after about 15 beats or so it felt like it stopped! but It diddnt, I could feel a pulse but it was very very weak or it kind of felt like the blood was kind of waving inside my veins and not shooting up. then that last for about 3 secs and then it returned to very fast strong beats, now repeat that and thats what I had. I noticed at times my pulse would kind of take a break and follow with a harder beat and then it would return to very fast again, then stop...and go fast...I was pretty dizzy and dont remember much that happened but I even ended up losing my boarding pass and passport from how confused I was! the people that worked there from british airways found it of course but I told them what happened and they said they would call an ambulance because I don't seem "fit to travel."

After about...20 minutes? The ambulance came, which is a complete joke of course but I was fine because I sat down and tried to relax. They brought me in and even told me that the hospital will pay for everything as long as I dont stay the night there and of course I was very happy. and just in case you were wondering, I was in london (heathrow) at that time, it was a connecting flight.

The thing that bothers me now is this: We took 3 ekg traces and that guy who took it told me to relax the whole time and I said that Im there because I feel really tired but my heart it RACING chaoticly. So the first two showed something and the third one was fine I think. the doc showed me the first one and he pointed out to this part of the EKG where it showed lines shooting up and down one after another and It looked like the ekg pics of ventricular fibrillation you can find on the web.
    except that by me it diddnt go on the whole time but it was on the paper on a little section (hard to explain.) I obviously asked the doc what the hell...but he just would answer any of my questions, I told him what I thought and he said that I need to see a cardiologist ASAP but I told him I have to fly tomorrow and that I DONT live in london...he of course acted suprise and you know what he said? he told me that he always tells his patients that tomorrow can either be a very good day or a very bad day...................

the very nice lady from british airways let me stay at hilton hotels (or whatever its called) for free and well...im home now. Flight was OK and we are going to see a cardiologist soon but I'd really like to hear your opinion about this...what could this have been? why would someone can all this chaotic rhytms and IF that was ventricular fibrillation...can they last a short time and not actually kill you? cause im sure if it was that I wouldnt be here now or they would've had to shock me...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
    Lindsay:-)
    Inactive
    (female)

Lindsay:-) HB User
    Re: Could this have been Ventricular Fibrillation? (went to ER)

Hi,
    It sounds to me as if it might have been ventricular tachycardia which isn't as serious as VF. If you are in VF you normally collapse and need to be shocked to return your heart to a normal rhythmn.
    I have ventricular tachcardia and get the feeling you describe, really hard beats, like your heart is going to break through your chest, I actually get pain when this happens and it is a fast beat, extra beats, the feeling weak like your heart has stopped when it actually hasn't. It is very scary and it is a good thing you went to the hospital, you may be put on an antiarrhythmic to control it if thats what it is.
    I have an underlying congenital heart disease and apparently it is quite common for people with CHD's to get VT, I assume from your letter that you don't have a CHD but anyone can develop it.
    When you go to the cardiologist they may put a 24hr tape on you to monitor your heartbeat for a day to see if they catch anything. It is just like wearing a ECG, they put the stickers on your chest and they are attched to a little machine which records your heart for the day.

Good luck, let me know how get on.
    Nearly forgot, there is a website which is quite good and explains all about dodgy rhythmns the address is: [url]www.stars.org.uk[/url]

Old 01-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
    DarkChange
    (male)

DarkChange HB User

Cool site! it really helps with showing how the EKG looks like when it happens.

I have a few questions though...should I worry? I did leave out some stuff about that day...I couldnt stop crying that night in the hotel and ended up crying myself to sleep. I just wanted to see my mom thats all. I mean...I felt so hopeless that day since I was traveling all alone and I was FAAAR away from home. I couldnt believe that I...at 18...have chest pains and now this chaotic random heart rythm. The thing is that I also had a panic attack like 2 years ago, (thought I was dying cause I took some weed for the first time.........) and Echo was done which was fine. That was the ONLY time I've done it though...blood chemistries were all good the doc said at the ER 2 days ago, (thats when it happened, 2 days ago, completely forgot to mention that.)
    So my question is...since I wasnt zapped....is that even ok? can it even slow down by itself? my heart rate was fast for the whole day and even sort of when I woke up...now what could I do while I wait for cardio doc? Im going to my physician tomorrow just because and can probably recommend me a good cardio doc. So til then what should I do to help myself or what would you do til then? Im not trying to stress over nothing but I have been fired today from my job because well...obviously...I was gone for a month but havent shown up for 2 addtional days, its not that important cause im finishing school soon and that job sucks anyways, BUT then my little sister revealed to us today that she has been gagging herself for about 2 months now and been doing weed too...GREAT news. Its kind of like a dream...I just cant believe most of it and im acting completely normal except that I havent been talking to any of my friends for a while new because of the depression. It just makes me sick even looking at the phone. Im worried about my life and the future...

Old 01-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
    Lindsay:-)
    Inactive
    (female)

Lindsay:-) HB User

Hi Darkchange,

Ventricular Tachycardia can stop all by itself, mine does. I know what you mean about crying yourself to sleep, I have done that for the last couple of months worrying about it.
    Try not to stress about it, worrying will make you feel worse and will make your adrenalin take off and make your heart race, I know I have been doing it for years.
    When you go to your doctor I would tell him everything, how you felt, what you were doing etc... so he has all the details to pass onto somone else. If you haven't had it before or since it might have been a one off, get checked out anyway, if it is VT then it can be controlled very well with drugs or sometimes a pacemaker.
    I am not an expert, I have only had it for a couple of months myself and can only tell you what I have experienced myself.
    When I have an episode like that I just take it easy for a day to give my heart a chance to recover from whatever I have done before, but I am different to you, my heart isn't structured in the same way yours is so it reacts differently to exercise and stress.

Anyway, let me know how you get on,
    L

Old 01-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
    DarkChange
    (male)

DarkChange HB User

Okie, I've been wearing a holter monitor now since late yesterday but my physician gave it to me...I hope thats ok because I'd rather have gotten it from a cardiologist since my physician cant believe what I said and thinks im psycho or something, thats what she told my mom . I just simply told my mom then to trust whoever she wants to, but it would've been really helpful if that doc gave me the EKGs from the ER in london....grrr...I hope it finds something this round or else they wont give another.

Closed Thread