It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Racy/pounding heart after/while eating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
    Bibliophile83
    (female)

Bibliophile83 HB User
    Racy/pounding heart after/while eating

Hi! I'm new here. My name is Erin, and I'm 22 years old.

For the past three weeks, I have been experiencing a racy or pounding heart rate at random times. I also recently noticed that it occurs while I eat or shortly after. I take aciphex for acid reflux. Also, sometimes before a bad episode, my face will get flushed. I do not drink caffine, alchohol, or smoke. I went to the cardiologist, she said my heart looks very healthy. I had an EKG while I was having an episode, and it showed sinus tach, but nothing else. I also experience pain in my chest sometimes, but usually not while I have an episode. I'm thinking this heart racing is stomach related, but how so?

I guess I should also mention I have Muscular Dystrophy, but I don't believe that is related as the cardiologist said my heart looks exceptionally good.

These episodes are frustrating, and I'm starting to get really upset about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Racy/pounding heart after/while eating

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibliophile83
    Hi! I'm new here. My name is Erin, and I'm 22 years old.

For the past three weeks, I have been experiencing a racy or pounding heart rate at random times. I also recently noticed that it occurs while I eat or shortly after. I take aciphex for acid reflux. Also, sometimes before a bad episode, my face will get flushed. I do not drink caffine, alchohol, or smoke. I went to the cardiologist, she said my heart looks very healthy. I had an EKG while I was having an episode, and it showed sinus tach, but nothing else. I also experience pain in my chest sometimes, but usually not while I have an episode. I'm thinking this heart racing is stomach related, but how so?

I guess I should also mention I have Muscular Dystrophy
    , but I don't believe that is related as the cardiologist said my heart looks exceptionally good.

These episodes are frustrating, and I'm starting to get really upset about this.
    Consuming too many calories, especially during one meal, can cause a racy or pounding heart.

Sometimes, a racy or pounding heart can occur as a result of either an allergic reaction or due to chemical sensitivity. Perhaps the days that you are experiencing heart rhythm problems are also high pollen days?

If you are on medicine for Muscular Dystrophy, perhaps certain foods or drinks can interact with your medicine. Has there been any change to your meds? Have you changed your diet recently?

Just throwing out a few ideas.....

Regards and best of luck finding answers.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Happens to me if I eat a whole lot at once, or (especially) if I eat a high carb meal. Try eating smaller meals, and don't eat a lot of high-carb foods. Things like pizza and pasta will make the pounding worse.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
    Rayvin400
    (female)

Rayvin400 HB User

hey there im 22 as well and for the last 3 weeks mine has been doing this too, right after i eat my heart will go crazy its bothersome but i guess its not dangerous wich is good to know now....

Last edited by Rayvin400; 01-20-2006 at 11:57 PM.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:34 AM   #5
    rigel434
    (male)

rigel434 HB User

The same thing happens to me- it's just normal for me after a big meal. I expect that the reason is that the body really has to gear up to digest a big meal. You can't see it, but your stomach is really churning hard when it's digesting. And that takes a lot of blood and a lot of energy to accomplish that. It's worse for me if I eat a lot of Chinese food with MSG in it.

It's a lot worse for me when I haven't exercised recently and so my heart isn't as used to hard work. I expect with your MD you're not in great physical conditioning so your heart has to work hard to digest. I wouldn't worry about it, though.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timber
    Happens to me if I eat a whole lot at once, or (especially) if I eat a high carb meal. Try eating smaller meals, and don't eat a lot of high-carb foods. Things like pizza and pasta will make the pounding worse.
    From what I have read, once one's heart becomes sensitive, such as what happens hormonally during the processing of calories, the rhythm problems will get worse before they get better.

That means that, as one ages, other things, not just excess calories, will cause the heart to misfire. A proper diet, limiting the level of calories, proper exercise and a healthy lifestyle can make a big difference in one's overall heart health.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread