It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• If you can't stop smoking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
    onstack
    (female)

onstack HB User
    If you can't stop smoking

If a person can't stop smoking, does it basically guarantee more blockages and eventual heart-related death? Say you change everything ELSE bad that you used to do, and now follow a good diet, exercise regularly, and take all yout meds. Is doing all of that utterly worthless if you still smoke?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2006, 03:06 AM   #2
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User
    Re: If you can't stop smoking

Hi Onstack As you no smoking is not good for you in anyway ,So if you can stop it will be the best thing you could do for yourself. If i can do i sayone can on the 3nd of feb it will one year since i last had a ***, ididnt use anything I did it (cold turkey) Good Luck.........Mandy

Old 01-24-2006, 05:18 AM   #3
    sal946
    (female)

sal946 HB User

I am sorry to sound rash, but I have to as no one else will.

Can't or Won't

I have been a smoker for years, and I quit as I know I needed to, as I wanted to live longer.
    Can't is a relative term, let me put it this way. If you were kidnapped and someone said to you "I will kill you if you ever had another cigerette, would you smoke? I don't think so so you can do this, it isn't easy, I agree as I just quit 6 weeks ago after a 3 pack a day habit, so it is do-able. Get the patch, and join a support group, keep your self busy, take vitamins. Any one of these does help and you need to take control back over your life, as smoking is only going to shorten it. Don't you owe this to yourself, and your family. I am sure you are stronger than that. To say I can't is a cop out, and I don't think your a weak person, I just think you need some support and guidance. So go get that patch, and post everytime you want a cig, we are hear to support you, that is how I did it. These people are the most supportive people I have ever met, and unlike a therapist, they are hear 24 hours a day, no appointment needed. Just do it!

Good Luck to you, and again, if I sound harsh I am sorry, but sometimes in life we have to hear the truth, and the truth hurts sometimes but I am only doing it because I know it works, and it can be done. This is one of those times.

Take Care

Sal and let me know how your doing please.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
    heartcreature
    (female)

heartcreature HB User

Smoking is the #1 risk factor for heart disease. Doing the other stuff is not useless, but continuing to smoke will guarantee that you will be back in for more heart disease related procedures if you make it there in time.
    Changing unhealthy habits is hard work. You have to decide that you are going to do it and do what needs to be done. It is not any easier once you get to that point and it fact it may be a lifelong struggle to not go back to those unhealthy habits. I was not a smoker, but I needed to lose 40 lbs. It took me 3 years to finally get it into my head that if I didn't lose the weight I was not going to be around for my children and grandchildren and I did it in less than a year. It's not any easier now that the weight is gone and it's just as much work keeping it off.
    These things are not easy to do but you just have to decide that it's worth doing to have some control over your health. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
    tonitonita
    (female)

tonitonita HB User

I think we all could stop if we really wanted to. I'm in the same boat. Just got home today from the second angiogram and sure enough a second 80% blocked artery. Talked about the smoking. I was a two plus pack a day smoker and since the first angio, dropped down to less than one pack, but still it's not enough. I know I will quit now, however, I would like to know how the doctor could say that the only cause from this is smoking? It went from 40% to 80% in less than two months? My mother has had all of these problems and never smoked a day in her life and I'm sure there are many others who don't smoke and get blocked arteries. Please understand, I am in no way defending smoking, but how can the doctors make a definitive statement like that?

Old 01-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
    heartcreature
    (female)

heartcreature HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonitonita
    I would like to know how the doctor could say that the only cause from this is smoking? It went from 40% to 80% in less than two months? My mother has had all of these problems and never smoked a day in her life and I'm sure there are many others who don't smoke and get blocked arteries. Please understand, I am in no way defending smoking, but how can the doctors make a definitive statement like that?
    I think you are right that smoking is not the only cause but it's the one of the biggies. I was one of those non-smokers and it felt like a slap in the face to me that I ended up with blockage and people I knew who smoked and didn't live as healthy as me were not having blocked arteries. Evidently heredity is playing a big part in your heart problems too. I think the reason doctors can definitively say that smoking causes heart disease is because they can see it at autopsies and also there have been studies that show how the arteries narrow as someone is actually drawing on a cigarette. I'm so glad I didn't smoke because I think it's probably even harder than losing 40 lbs.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:55 AM   #7
    onstack
    (female)

onstack HB User

Wow I feel so doomed and helpless against the 40-year smoking habit. As I understand it smoking narrows the arteries which makes it easier for the blockages to form. But so does eating fats, not exercising, etc. And now I have meds to help.

Has anyone here NOT stopped smoking? Or snuck a few, or gone back to it? I feel like a freak - the ony one who can't stop!

I wonder if the good things are helping me or not. My efforts seem worthwhile but then seem a total waste when smoking is brought up. My doctor makes faces. I fail, I'm bad. I feel discouraged for not doing things right, have no confidence. Not eager and ready to tackle things anymore. I've been working hard but all I get is constant negative feedback because of the smoking. My family is not what I'd call supportive (not that I need or blame anyone other than myself).

PS What you guys have said abut not smoking and still getting it...and some worked so hard to quit...and some worked so terribly hard to lose weight ---oh, I admire you all! So much. I feel I have no faith in myself I suppose.

Last edited by onstack; 01-25-2006 at 03:04 AM.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
    onstack
    (female)

onstack HB User

I think people like you are an inspiration - you understand and you try, and you know what you have to do. Normal people (doctors, nurses, nutritionists, educators, etc) who have never smoked are the only ones I ever talk to anymore and they have no idea. You know how I feel, unlike my doctor and all the rest of them who mean SO well but just don;t know except on an intellectual level.

I know I create excuses for myself. I know my doctor dislikes me A LOT for not obeying, I feel he kind of doesn't care too much about me because I'm not a "compliant patient" and I seem to be defying him. He's nice and all but I can tell what he thinks, as well he should. Something inside me WANTS to smoke.

I would like to go to a support group but feel those people all WANT to stop, and I don't. I feel like I'll argue with everyone there and they'll hate me too. I don't want to make enemies and I'm actually a pretty nice person aside from this smoking insanity!

I look for "angles" - like the eating well and exercising well and taking meds to keep my arteries open. I'm trying to pull a scam on myself. Zyban and 500 patches (at a time!) and gum might work but my mind is so irrational about this whole quitting thing. I am so scared.

I guess my latest way to weasel out of it is coming to this board and asking if anyone still smokes. Am I the only one who can't -or won't- stop? I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT expect any support in continuing to smoke - just really, really wondering who still does.

I just bought a heart monitor and signed up for a gym. I want to do good. But I want to smoke too.

PS The hospital security guard in the bathroom sounds absolutely hilarious! I was begging them to let me get get up out of the Recovery Room ard and go outside and have a puff and promised I'd come right back. That went over like a ton of bricks. You make me laugh!!

Last edited by onstack; 01-26-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
    rigel434
    (male)

rigel434 HB User

My uncle has smoked all his adult life. A few weeks ago he was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer that has spread to his liver and bones. He is taking chemo but it doesn't look good. Do whatever it takes to quit.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
    panzees
    (female)

panzees HB User

My husband smoked for 40 years.He was up to about 2-3 packs a day.Two and a half weeks ago he had a heart attack.Luckily he got to the hospital in time and had to have a stent inserted.His doctor said he is very lucky as he had the type of heart attack that only 1 out of 10 survive.He was told that smoking was the cause of it.He quit cold turkey.He also takes medications for high blood pressure and cholesterol though they were close to the normal range.I know that it hasn't been that long yet but he is just thankful to have been given another chance.I would never have thought that he could quit,so if he can anyone can!

Old 01-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #11
    onstack
    (female)

onstack HB User

rigel434, cancer is what I used to worry about the most and still it remains entirely possible. Pack years and all. I worry about THAT illness (death) as well!
    panzees I have to hand it to your husband, seriously. He had a tough road and it's people like him that make me ashamed of myself.
    My doctor didn't say smoking was responsible but I'm just quibbling at this point. My diet was horrendous, my exercise was nil and in a way I want to blame those things as much if not more than smoking but I know I'm making excuses.

I know I HAVE TO quit - - not debting that! It's just how awfully hard I'm finding it, and I don;t know that I have the inner resources.

Interesting fact - years ago I took Wellbutrin for depression and smoked like crazy. It wasn't touted for smoking cessation in those days and I continued to smoke without feeling aversion. Years later I had a friend who took Wellbutrin for depression and she remarked (she was surprised!) that she didn't even feel like smoking anymore. That's proof it worked for her. I didn't tell her it was also marketed as Zyban because I didn't want to jeopardize any benefit she got in the smoking arena. It definitely works and I hope by giving it another chance I'll have luck. I really want to wear patches concurrently and hope they'll let me. I am a hard case, in case you if haven't figure that out! I feel I need way more smoking cessation aids than the average bear.

On another topic, can anyone tell me about the attendees at the Smoking Cessation support groups? Are they ultra-serious hardcores like me? Are they sent there on the threat of death if they don't stop? I need to be with people under the threat of death I think! I avoided joining the New Years Resolution groups in early January, figured they'd want to stop but were not under the type of grave orders like we all are.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:42 AM   #12
    CALIFBLU
    (female)

CALIFBLU HB User

Hi, I too quit once cold turkey,when I started nursing school. didn't smoke for 11 years then my daughter was diagnosed with cervical cancer and boom I went for the *** cigaretts 3 years of it. I stopped, started ,stopped, started...then the chest pains and 2 stents ....I stopped again more chest pains that made me start I was terrified the stent was blocked I was afraid I would die during another angio and ,made a deal with MAN above if I dind't die . I would NEVER smoke again .I know I can never pick up that FIRST cigarett , just like an alcoholic can't touch that first drink. All I can say is I've taken care of many patients who were dying becausee they couldn't breathe .It is not a pretty sight. Nor the way you want I want to go (hopefull in my sleep with a smile on my face ).Do it for You, Get the patches , wellbutrin , support group . what ever pick a date to begin . yeah it won't be easy for you are addicted to the nicotine but YOU CAN DO IT.I used to talk to myself out loud in the mirror in the car or bathroom .reinforcing that I promised my heart and myself that I was the boss not the cigaretts and that I was going to beat this . Whenever I get the urge to smoke I chewed on cut up plastic straws rather than candy.When it was time to give up the patches I put bandaides on my arm as panic buttons .. just in case I would touch it .silly but it helped that was 4 years ago . every so often i rummage throw my fanny pac or purse looking for my cigaretts and laugh .wishing you much luck let me know how you are doing . Blu

Old 01-27-2006, 10:11 PM   #13
    onstack
    (female)

onstack HB User

How very nice not to be sneered at and treated badly, like the rest of the world (medical, anyway) treats me.
    Thanks from the bottom of my sick little heart!

I think I will have to do the support group - wearing football helmets sounds good! I won't do well with people who are there just because they "feel like" quitting. I will also ask abut Zyban (quadruple dose) and those suckie-things (much like your straws) that I can pretend with. And the patches. I hope they'll let me use everything at once.

I appreciate so much your non-judgemental and very kind responses. That means a lot to me in my fragile, angry state of mind. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #14
    CALIFBLU
    (female)

CALIFBLU HB User

hey onstack, any thing you can use to help you stop smoking , USE, when I get in the car I would always lite one up FIRST then buckle up . now I back out of parking spot , then buckle upto sort of confuse my head ( that doesn't take much .lol) in morning with coffee . instead I drank juice first..ugh..then coffee ,change things . if you sit with smokers ..DON'T take a walk .after meals .. is when I would chew the straws or any time I would want a cigarett . I cut then up into small enough pieces so I could pop one in my mouth anytime anywhere .now I use pen tops . yes 4 yrs later I still want one .. I think you will always want one . but you are stronger than that nasty cigarett. you show them just how strong you are .it won't be easy at first but your life is on the line .wish you all the luck and a few prayers as well.YOU CAN DO IT

Old 01-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #15
    onstack
    (female)

onstack HB User

Good ideas you have! I stopped taking them with me when I go out so now have to wait until I get home to smoke. Except..eventually I DO come home!! The straw idea is really good. I'd get psychological satisfaction (or whatever shrinks call it) from having the sucking action and holding something shaped like a cig. I have a doctor appt next week and after he kills me I'll ask about possible RX aids.
    Wish I'd never been a smart-aleck know-it-all teenager.

Closed Thread