It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Could this be a Heart Problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
    TammyT

TammyT HB User
    Could this be a Heart Problem

Here is my story:

My name is Tammy and I am 35 years old. I have been feeling so bad for the last week, worse then I had before. I have this chest pressure/tightness/heavyness that doesn't seem to go away unless I am sleeping. I have had this since June of 05 off and on, but recently the past week it has been bad.

In May 2004 I had a Nuclear Stress Test. I hit 100% of my target heart rate and all was normal.

In June 2005 I had this horrible pressure/tightness. I felt like I couldn't breath. I went to the ER. I had Cardiac Enzyme blood test done 2x and both were normal. EKG was normal. I was hooked up to a heart monitor which was normal the whole time. Again they had me do a Regular Stress Test (not nuclear) and I reach 95% of my target heart rate and the rest was normal. My BP didn't change during the test and the EKG was perfect.

In November of 2005 I had my blood work done. My Choesterol was 148, my Triglycerides were 123 (normal below 150), my HDL-Good Cholesterol was 38 (normal, above 35), my LDL-Bad Cholesterol was 85 (normal below 100), my sugar was 92 (normal below 120).

As you can see those test results are VERY VERY GOOD!!

Now I do have High Blood Pressure, but it is VERY well under Control with my meds, running about 110/70 sometimes lower. I am overweight, I was 277 but I am now down to 249, and losing. I am NOT very active, but I did start doing my Walk off the Pounds tape again last Sunday, felt out of breath, but do to being Overweight I am sure that is why.

I walk up 39 steep stairs every single day at work. I do get out of breath, but I am overweight.

I also have Acid Reflux which goes up to my Clavical. I do take Prilosec and it seemed to work, but not sure now.

Does it sound like I am having a heart problem? This is scaring me and I don't want to go to the ER again, first because I have no insurance right now, I will have it in 2 weeks. And second because the practically know me by name.

I am not sure if this is heart related or my anxiety. Oh yea I sleep FINE with no problems.

Thank you for reading.

Tammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
    rigel434
    (male)

rigel434 HB User
    Re: Could this be a Heart Problem

Since it hurts basically non-stop, it doesn't sound like angina (caused by blocked arteries), which tends to come and go, especially with exercise. But it's obviously not normal to be having pain like this- I'd see various doctors, including a rheumatologist until I got answers. Demand an MRI, every test in the book- don't take no for an answer.

You could try taking nitroglycerin and see if that helps things- if so, it's more likely cardiac in nature.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
    heartcreature
    (female)

heartcreature HB User

Gosh it's difficult to say. I personally had those same tests that you had and even was able to jog on the treadmill without producing any chest pain or shortness of breath. 6 weeks later I had a cath because of continuing symptoms and a blockage was found. There are risks with a cath, but there are risks walking around with an undiagnosed heart blockage too. I would probably want a cath to rule out the heart definitively. Some would probably disagree, but I'm going on my own experiences. If you decide to wait two weeks until you are insured I would just try to take it easy. If you are not already taking a baby aspirin I would check with the doctor and see if it would be a good idea as a precaution until you can have a cath done. By the way I was 41 when this happened to me. Good luck and I know about hesitating to go to the ER because they know you too well. Go anyway if you are experiencing chest discomfort that is not going away. I know they didn't think my heart was the problem but it turns out they were wrong more than once. Even when my stent failed and I went back to the ER again they still could not see me as a heart patient and I had difficulty getting them to believe it was my heart. Good luck and be persistent!

Old 02-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Hi Tammy. Does the chest discomfort go away when you take benzos?

Old 02-12-2006, 06:44 AM   #5
    TammyT

TammyT HB User

Thanks everyone. I already take 1 81mg aspirin every other day, my doc said one a day was to much for me. So I already am doing that.

Timber, I haven't taken any Alpralozm (Xanax) yet. I am trying not to take it, but I think I may break down and do it.

I have also looked up Health Anxiety (Hypochondria) and man it sounds like me.

Well you know me anyway, but it is hard to tell myself that I am ok.

REMOVED

Last edited by moderator2; 02-12-2006 at 01:39 PM. Reason: no emails - please read and follow the posting rules

Old 02-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
    TammyT

TammyT HB User

Very Sorry, didn't know that. I know Timber and didn't think, sorry.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User

Check out Esophagitis. It hurts just like a cardiac problem...especially
    angina. It's is very painful and is constant or gets worse at times or comes and goes but it relieved by rest.

Might want to do a google on it and see if it fits along with GERD.

Closed Thread