It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Not sure if this is heart related or acid reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
    Ken2828
    (male)

Ken2828 HB User
    Not sure if this is heart related or acid reflux

Hi everyone - great board here.

I'm 30 years old. About 3 weeks ago out of nowhere I started experiencing a racing heartbeat (about 120bpm). It would come and go throughout the day, lasting anywhere from 3-45 seconds. I had it 2 days straight, about 15-20 times each day. The third day nothing. I went skating that third day and was a bit more active than usual. The 4th day it returned again, and ever since it keeps coming and going. Some days there is nothing until I lay down at night to go to bed then it races for a few seconds and is gone. At times it doesn't matter what I am or aren't doing, it'll start racing. However, I have noticed that if I get up off a chair quickly, or walk pretty fast, I get it. Hard coughing, cold water in the face, and forcing the lower abdomen while holding my breath all take it away immediately - I got those suggestions off this boards - thanks!

Right after experiencing this I started dieting and walking to lose a few pounds. When I first set out on my walk, my heart races, but a few minutes in and I feel really good and it beats as normal. I could stand to lose 30 pounds. I used to be a very active bodybuilder and religiously worked out and watched what I ate, but then family and job responsibilities left me no time, so I haven't worked out in a few years. A few trips too many to McDonalds and my daily intake of Cola sure didn't help. I've since ate properly and haven't touched anything but water to drink these last 3 weeks. I've lost a few pounds. While the 'racing heartbeat' doesn't occur nearly as often as it did a few weeks ago, I am still getting it.

It doesn't seem to bother me as much now, I still go about what I am doing and it settles down after 5-10 seconds. I have experienced no pain at all during any of these episodes, only the racing heartbeat and a wee bit of tightness in the chest but that's only sometimes, although I am sure I bring it on myself over worrying about the racing part. I have not experienced any lightheadedness, faintness, or pain.

I do seem to have trapped gas in the chest area that feels like I want to burp (pardon the choice of word), but can only manage little ones by massaging/slapping on my chest to bring it up. Now when I think about it, that may very well be the cause of the tightness in the chest - the trapped gas.

I do have acid reflux BADLY. This scares the crap out of me during the night when I get it. I'll be sleeping, then all of a sudden the acid hits the back of my throat and I can't breath at all - I mean not at all. I gasp for air like I'm drowning in water for about a minute or so until the acid decides to travel back down again. I have had this for about 4 years. Tried everything from Pantoloc, Losec, Prevacid to Nexium. I get this 'night attack' of acid at random - sometimes once a week, and sometimes I won't get it for months at a time. During the past three weeks since the racing heartbeat started I have quit eating at night (I used to have late dinners all the time...like 7 or 8pm every night) I now eat at 5pm and quit eating all the crap food.

I have read on here about anxiety etc... all causing racing heartbeats. I have always been a worried person...about EVERYTHING even when I know there is no cause for concern. I just worry - I get it from my mom. I could have a couple million in the bank and I would still worry about things like how my kids are going to live when they grow up (that is my biggest worry of all). I worry if they will live a healthy life or not. By the way, I am trying to change careers and get accepted into law school, buy a house, have child #3 on the way, and start my wife's business all at the same time. I'm sure the stress of it all isn't helping the heart.

So anyway, after all this, my question is that given my history of being fit and healthy until a few years ago and the acid reflux problem I have, could this contribute to the random racing heartbeat, or is it likely a problem with the heart itself? I am going to call my Dr. but I wanted opinions from here first so I know what I can expect.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read all this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
    Ken2828
    (male)

Ken2828 HB User
    Re: Not sure if this is heart related or acid reflux

I should also mention that if I'm having one of those days where it keeps happening every 10 minutes or so, I noticed as soon as I engage in something meaningful like an important conversation etc... I don't get it anymore. I don't know if it's because I just don't notice it or what. I read another thread that said anxiety causes the racing heartbeat too, and if you preoccupy with something you'll temporarily take the stress away.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
    Ken2828
    (male)

Ken2828 HB User

Anyone? ...

Old 02-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
    enie
    (female)

enie HB User

First thing - Go to the Doctor
    While you are waiting for the doc to give you the once and twice overs; train yourself not to push yourself into stress mode.
    I was told by a lot of my Doctors that most of the time when people are have a racing heart it doesn't mean they are having a heart attack, and that there are simple ways to treat it.

You said you already started some of the 'good for you' stuff like; not eating in the evening and no caffeine, (hope you don't smoke). Everybody knows it's better to eat heart healthy and in moderation instead of harsh diets. Probably would be better to hold off on the strenuous activities until the doc says OK. No need to push it.
    There are a lot of helpful web pages out there that can tell you all the right things to do. Some are even easy to do….

A special note: Stress is a Killer, or at least it tries to kill you... Ask my husband. Four years ago he had a heart attack when he was 54, because of stress. Didn't even know he was having one. He thought he had the flu. He had to learn to tune out the stress in his life and still get done the real important stuff and drop the things that he only thought were important. My husband’s idea of relieving stress is going fishing, and when he is too busy to go fishing he de-stresses by thinking about going fishing. Each to their own...

enie

PS – Everyone knows that it is better to be safe than sorry. So if you have symptoms where you feel you are in distress, don’t wait for your appointment. Go to the ER.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:15 AM   #5
    dreambetter
    (female)

dreambetter HB User
    Wink Re: Not sure if this is heart related or acid reflux

Ken2828,

Here's what I've read:

You're a 30 year old male with a wife and children (as well as one on the way), changing careers, foreseeing the future, juggling a great deal of changes, facing new challenges and adding new responsibilities on top of everything else...daily life runs fast huh?

Your symptoms:

Bouts of racing heartbeats that seem to come in short runs occurring within a cluster of a few days, the pacing of your heart rate seems to run fast then slow to normal, they can come at anytime regardless of what you are doing, sometimes after sitting (resting) then standing-up can bring-on an episode, exercise seems to speed the heart but then you feel fine, your diet has lent itself to soda's and fast foods but you are making changes, often -you are without chest pains but feel some tightness, the tightness seems to relate more to acid reflux but the cardiac bouts confuse this issue, you've taken several meds to relieve acid reflux and what do they cause, lying down seems to bring symptoms that go between the reflux and bouts, you get trapped gas and burps, feel like you need air, when you are consumed in another activity the bouts tend to go away, cardiac maneuvers seem to relieve the bouts, and all the new changes and responsibilities in your life adds a bit of stress-load to everything.

What I'm giving is merely an opinion...some infections such as respiratory, bronchial, sinus, or even dental can cause the following symptoms; fast and slow, weak and strong rates that come and go (palpitations), mild changes-both up and down bodily temperatures, tightness in the chest, sometimes a tenderness in the chest, feel like you can't get enough air, dry cough, weakness that can initiate cardiac reactions when exerted, retention of fluids (edema), and all of these symptoms need not happen entirely. Similarly, all of those symptoms can solely come about and/or be exacerbated with fear (even if it's mild), stress, or some other unrelated medical cause. Those symptoms can also occur due to hormonal changes, bodily stages as we age, our diet, or mild issues with glucose (such as hypo or hyperglycemia..etc). Glucose, the sugar and insulin factor in our blood, can relate to many of your symptoms and a fast-food, soda intake can contribute to this. Blood pressure is also another factor. It can be the primary cause or an element combined or causing glucose issues, or solely related to stress (effecting oxygen intake) and/or diet. All in all, a lot of things other than cardiac can be the core cause. In terms of cardiac, in some cases as the heart acts-up a person can become acidotic (related to gastrointestinal issues-such as burps), hypovolemic (diminished blood volume, diminished water content-thirst), dig-toxic (withhold digitalis, or too much mineral intake), and hypoxic (deficiency of oxygen, poor blood gas-needing air). The burping and need for air tends to come with actual cardiac bouts, so this is a normal reaction. Added to that, further stress and fear due to the bout can heighten the symptoms. Without distractions, you are keenly aware of the symptoms but they will go away when you are occupied lending it more towards fear, as in an adrenaline shift. You say that you are getting rapid heartbeats at 120 bpm (beats per minute) but this has occurred within and up to 45 seconds and not an entire minute? Yet, Vagotonic or Vagal maneuvers, to push your abdominal muscles down or out as to strain hard-like you were passing difficult bowel matter, a hard cough or cold water relieves the run and often that tends to work if it's a cardiac episode. If acid reflux is the core, drugs for that issues may contain magnesium or calcium. The conductive electricity of the heart trades sodium and potassium to initiate the flow of its electrical current (known as the sodium pump or enzymatic pump). All together, however, there is a balance of potassium, sodium, calcium, and magnesium in the heart and they all work off of each other in a plus and minus factor. When you take doses of magnesium or calcium you can, even if it's mildly, alter that chemistry. They shift and adjust effecting everything from the electrical conductivity, ATP (adenosine triphosphate-energy for muscle contractions), adrenaline, cholesterol, glucose, and lot of other things. Mineral balance is critical, as with magnesium and calcium that are two different elements that have actions that oppose each other but function as a team. All this technical talk means that the acid reflux pills could be altering you mineral balance and you are having a cardiac response. Then there's plain old stress, the big one...Enie is so on it, it can kill, truly compound, create, and throw havoc into the equation. All the things I've mentioned are not intended to confuse you, but to point something out...these boards are very helpful, but there is no substitute for a good health screening. Go get a physical, especially if it's been over a couple of years, with a really good blood panel. Let your physician know that you want an overall health check for two reasons, because you want it due to bodily changes and you have some concerns that have blurred lines between gastric, cardiac, sugar, or whatnot compounded by everyday stress. Let the doctor know everything that is going on. Bring in a written list, like the one I summarized, and read it off to the doc...don't feel funny-do it. And just in case, if the physical is conducted by a nurse request a separate appointment with a physician and hold your ground. In any case, try to get yourself checked-out as soon as you can. No one on this board should diagnose your problem, including me, but we can help and that is what this is about. Listen...stress adds to stress, adds to stress and so on...stop pondering and adding to the load of your daily life and get it checked-out. You have a beautiful family who wants you to be around for a very long time. Early symptoms should never be ignore until they become chaos. No martyring...step-up and check-it out. And finally, if needed, go to an ER. Sure, it's a hassle, lots of drama, wait, and frustration but some conditions are periodic, and only episodic, and must be diagnosed while it is happening...so going to the ER might well be worth it. Get better and Good luck to you Ken2828.

Last edited by dreambetter; 02-17-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
    Ken2828
    (male)

Ken2828 HB User

Thanks for replying - I appreciate it.

One thing, dreambetter. I do not feel like I need air when the heart problems start. I only need air when the acid reflux hit the back of my throat and completely cuts off my air for about a minute until the acid decides to retreat back down. At no point during any of the racing heart episodes or the slight tightness do I ever feel like I need air. My breathing remains absolutely fine - thank god. To answer the one previous question enie had - no I do not smoke and never have.

I have not had a racing heartbeat for the past 3 days - none at all. I've exercised, jogged, got up off the chair quickly, everything that used to get it started, and I couldn't get it started again. I planned on getting into rapid heartbeat mode then going to the hospital so they could see when I was having it. No matter what I did I could not replicate it...until now. I just had a cup of coffee about half an hour ago and now it's racing again. Obviously the caffeine is triggering it. That's okay though. I rarely drink coffee...in fact I don't really like it all that much. As for drinking the Coke, after almost 4 weeks I don't even miss it. I've been drinking water and orange juice (in moderation because of the acid) and I am fine without the caffeine.

So I will assume this is nothing serious, as long as I stay away from caffeine. I still plan on going to the Dr. just to be safe, although I admit I have held off for fear of being diagnosed with something serious. I was diagnosed with tumors in 3 different places in my head and face (sinus area) when I was 16 and had surgery to remove them. But did that ever scare the crap out of me. I was in the hospital 4 days after they found the tumors - in another city (Toronto) having them removed. I'm a big tough guy who is scared as hell about being diagnosed with serious medical problems.

As for the diet, I am still eating properly and exercising again, and boy does it ever feel good losing some pounds. I feel young again

Thanks again to those who responded

Last edited by Ken2828; 02-19-2006 at 10:19 PM.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
    Ken2828
    (male)

Ken2828 HB User

Update -

After drinking the coffee earlier in the day, like I stated in the post above, the racing heartbeat came back immediately. I have had it all day long - it keeps coming and going. A few hours ago I took 2 Rolaids and it seemed to help settle the racing heartbeat episodes down. I waited a bit and took 2 more Rolaids - now they are about 95% gone. Chest feels ok again with no tightness.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read, does this not seem like a case of SVT and coffee (caffeine) is one of the triggers? The Rolaids are a calcium source, and immediately helped to settle it down. At least that is what I have read in other posts, where someone has SVT and it is suggested to them to take a daily calcium supplement and to avoid caffeine. The cold water in the face, coughing, and squeezing abdominal muscles down all help to immediately stop the racing heartbeat - again, what I've seen others tell people with SVT to do.

Am I on the right track here?

Old 02-20-2006, 03:46 AM   #8
    dreambetter
    (female)

dreambetter HB User
    Cool Re: Not sure if this is heart related or acid reflux

Ken2828

No doubt, caffeine can stimulate the heart. Periodic PVC's are relatively normal; and thus, caffeine can certainly "exacerbate" them, or another word-trigger. Caffeine can also exacerbate digestive problems. There are also digestive issues that can bring about cardiac sensations and reactions. When you describe "needing air," strictly as a result of acid reflux (and more so when you lie down), it can relate to a hiatal hernia. The esophageal hiatus (hiatal opening) becomes larger than normal and a portion of the upper stomach slips up or passes (herniates) through the hiatus and into the chest creating a bulge. There are different types with specifics, of two categories there is uncomplicated (with symptoms of heartburn, regurgitation, and nausea), and complicated (with the previous symptoms but including back and neck pains, and pain that mimics or feels like angina). Typically the symptoms parallel GERD, gastro-esphogeal reflux disease, and patients with GERD are much more likely to have a hiatal hernia than individuals not afflicted by GERD. Also, the heartburn more often occurs when you lie down because of the level of the stomach, esophagus, and thus acids regurgitating back-up (some sports can cause this too). This is why doctors will suggest keeping the head and neck slightly raised when you sleep, such as using two pillows, to avoid the regurgitation. Gastric issues can also exacerbate or heighten your sense of the heart and you might feel a more pronounced heartbeat, and related issues. If you are prone to PVC's, sometimes a rapid heartbeat (an arrhythmia) can produce more occurrences. Also, some PVC's can result due to an irritant factor. This factor's cause can relate to many things that disrupt your body's "regular rhythm." So with you, there could be a type domino effect. In terms of PVC's, when they come-on try to monitor your pulse. You've probably done this, but just in case you haven't (or someone who is reading this and hasn't), try this...place your right index finger at the base of your left thumb, on the side of the wrist where you'll feel the notch of a bone and tendon and then very slowly turn your arm until the index finger falls into a small pocket of the arm's underside (it works best if you tilt the hand inward and then you'll also feel/see the tendons running down the middle wrist/arm, to the right). This is the quickest way to find the pulse. Once located, don't apply too much pressure and try to "feel" the pulse for several minutes and repeat this throughout the day when there are episodes. You want to get a sense of the heartbeat's pace, like music-the beat. As you mentally sense a PVC (premature ventricular contraction), try to determine if and how it disrupts the "beat." Does it feel harder, does it give a pause, does it do a couple of quick beats...and so on? It is helpful to determine if what you are mentally sensing is actually a disruption and what type. If you feel a definite pause that throws-off the "beat," you physically feel a pause when you mentally sense a disruption, then it's likely to be a PVC and this is most helpful to relate to your physician and can streamline his analysis. It's also good for you to know because you'll likely find that not all of the mental sensations of a disrupted heartbeat is a physical disruption to the pulse. Since you are having gastric issues, some digestive contractions can feel like a cardiac disruption but often do not effect the pulse. This knowledge is a major tool in overcoming fear. As well, physically validating if it's actually a PVC's can help you find the quickest method for a relief response. By physically monitoring the pulse while having PVC's and then trying in-nose out-mouth breathing, calming/relaxing thinking, and vagal maneuvers will help you feel a greater control over the issue eliminating even more fear. The fear factor is a major "irritant" issue to heart. It has such a profound compounding effect, thus it helps tremendously to find ways to appease and physically do things that result in relief. Think of it like a psuedo-biofeedback type of thing that does wonders. As for the antacid Rolaids, calcium carbonate, it's fantastic that is helps you. Just remember that with too much of anything can come problematic issues too. Too much calcium can give you diarrhea, nausea, increased urination, or constipation, hypertension, and/or irregular heartbeats. Likewise there are antacid combinations of aluminum, calcium, magnesium (with similar side effects but this also includes breathing issues), or aluminum and magnesium tablets. Too much magnesium can cause nausea, diarrhea, hypotension, slow heartrates, heartblocks, and cardiac arrest. So, if the antacids work, do stick to the recommended daily doses and don't exceed them! You can purchase a mineral supplement that combines calcium and magnesium. Together they absorb and work more proficiently, but once again learn the recommended daily allowance of those minerals and determine what the addition of antacids do to that total and avoid overdoing it. The mineral supplement might help you reduce some of your stomach and cardiac issues but a medical diagnosis should be first sought. It doesn't sound like your cardiac issue is SVT, supraventricular tachycardia with rates above 150-250, your rate is 120 or less. And yes, caffeine can trigger a faster rate, above a normal sinus rhythm 60-100, and Calcium, from Rolaids, can help stomach and some cardiac issues. Yet truly, the best thing you can do is see a doctor, be diagnosed (it could be nothing-so think positive and don't put it off), and do give yourself real facts about your specific issue. You'll find the most precise way to approach your issues and likely handle any occurrences a whole lot better...that's the best track. Let us know how things go...

Last edited by dreambetter; 02-20-2006 at 04:05 AM.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:18 AM   #9
    dreambetter
    (female)

dreambetter HB User

Ken2828

One last thought...I totally get your fear and like you it's been so hard when a medical issue comes-up and then trying to tell myself to get to the doc's office. Your words of "...although I admit I have held off for fear of being diagnosed with something serious." and "I'm a big tough guy who is scared as hell about being diagnosed with serious medical problems." ...here's a thought that is worth considering...usually it's not bad news, yet even with bad news, knowing the real facts will truly appease your mind with a realistic plan to handle or tackle your problem. For me, in retrospect of my medical issues, the fear of the "unknown" always was far worse than the fear of the actual facts. At least with the facts you can seek real forms of resolution, as you did with the tumors-now they're gone, but without it...you're in the dark...and it seems like the dark and unknown is fear at the utmost worst. Think Positive Big Guy! >^..^<

Last edited by dreambetter; 02-20-2006 at 04:20 AM.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:22 AM   #10
    Kathy C
    (female)

Kathy C HB User

I also have bad SVTs that I will be having an Ablation for soon. As for coffee and coke I derink as much as I want and yes if affects my arrhythmias some but not usually until I have had alot of both. I have never been told to either limit or eliminate my caffiene by any of my docs and especially not by the Electrophysiologist.

Ken2828 I too am in Ontario about an hour west of Toronto.

Each person is different and has to do what is right for tehm. Oh yeah don't bother trying to recreat your problems you can drive your self crazy doing that. I know from experience.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
    Ken2828
    (male)

Ken2828 HB User

Went to see the Dr. today.

Apparently he seems to think it could be either sinus rhythm or wold parkinson's white. I had an ecg done and now he wants me to go get the holter for a day.

What exactly do they do with the holter? Hook up electrodes to a small device or something and you press a button everytime the heart races?

I've had no racing heart for 2 days straight now. What if I have the holter on one of the days I don't have it? It'll show there is nothing wrong. Maybe I'll drink coffee that day and get it started.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You wear the monitor for 24 hours and it records your heart beat for that entire period...it comes in a pouch thing youcan wear under your clothes.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
    dreambetter
    (female)

dreambetter HB User

Ken2828,

Keep a good, positive attitude...and wait for the results to determine the cause. Meanwhile, the inherent rate for the SA, or SinoAtrial Node (which is above the atria) typically runs between 60 and 100 bpm (in some cases it expanded to 120bpm). You can have sinus Tachycardia, or steady beats numerating above that sinus rate (120-150) or a sinus disrythmia/arrithymia with signals originating from the SA node but with PVC's. A "Sinus Rhythm" refers to normal SA Node function, also called normal sinus rhythm. WPW has aspects to the S-T, QRS ratios, thus hold out to have that validated, again validated and confirmed. Your 24 hour holter might not capture your issue. Explain to your Cardiologist that your issue comes in runs within a cluster of days, or episodic, and request a time range holter of one week or up to 30 days. That will likely capture the issue. Titchou is on it. I'll add, Holter is small electrodes, receptors, anchored with sticky glue to your chest area, cables, and a collection box and pouch carrier with shoulder strap. Depending on the time you have it, 24 hrs...a week...a month, will determine how you mark or register, collect, and send your physical sensation onto the device. It a small hassle, you have to keep a log of events, but there is no pain and it is noninvasive. Keep your chin-up and good luck!

Old 02-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #14
    Ken2828
    (male)

Ken2828 HB User

I guess I'll call tomorrow to make the appointment to pick it up.

I'm such a lucky guy - I just happened to have woke up this morning to a sore throat and nasty cough that is leading down into the chest. Obviously some kind of infection that I'll need antibiotics for. When I awoke I could hear the rattle in my chest when exhaling. Suppose I'll be in for a good weekend

Closed Thread