It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Giant PVC then RAPID Heart Rate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
    Josell
    (male)

Josell HB User
    Giant PVC then RAPID Heart Rate

I really need help. I have been to several cardiologists over the years and they all tell me my heart muscle is fine.

I have PVC's once in a while and they scare me.

What I am really terrified about is the following. I do suffer from Anxiety disorder, BUT when I am feeling ok and when anxiety is the LAST thing on my mind, I will get a LARGE contraction in my heart then my heart will race very fast for a couple of minutes, estimate at about 130-150. I do not pass out or feel lightheaded, maybe a little short of breath but that MIGHT be my anxiety.

DO normal PVC's cause this? Does this happen to anyone else, or is it DEF a sign of something more serious. Please help I am afraid.

I am 40 years old.

THanks so much!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: Giant PVC then RAPID Heart Rate

It's probably a sign of SVT - supraventricular tachycardia. SVT is a very fast heartbeat (140-250bpm) that begins with a PVC. SVT starts and stops suddenly.

Although very scary feeling, SVT isn't life threatening. If you only have episodes rarely and they go away by themselves then you don't have anything to worry about. If an episode is sustained and you can't get it to go down at home, you can go to the ER and be given medication to slow it down.

Some people have very frequent and prolonged episodes of SVT, or they have symptoms with their SVTs like fainting, and they sometimes choose to have a surgical procedure to fix the problem.

You should probably report the episode to your cardiologist. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Several people on this board have SVT.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
    Sassafrass627
    (female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timber
    Although very scary feeling, SVT isn't life threatening.
    It isn't?

Actually, SVT is quite life threatening if it continues long enough. A heart pumping blood at a rate of 180 (just picking a random number there) eventually tires and stops. It is a muscle, after all. Not to mention that at a rate that high, the amount of blood (and oxygen) the heart is able to pump to the rest of the body is significantly lowered and will lead to death (if the rate doesn't slow down). If you're going to give people information, please make sure it's the appropriate information. Especially considering this is a medical board.

Now, to the OP: Occasional PVCs, while definitely scary, are nothing to be concerned about. Lots of people have irregular heart beats (myself included) and there are any number of things that can cause it. If they become frequent or are associated with nausea/vomiting, fainting, lightheadedness, chest pain, or other chest discomfort, then absolutely seek medical attention. Just because you have a fast heart rate (at times) does not necessarily mean you have SVT. If you've been to several cardiologists over the years and they have given you a clean bill of health, take them at their word. However, if your symptoms continue or you have other new symptoms, then you should have your doctor evaluate you again. Good luck to you!

Old 03-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sassafrass627
    Actually, SVT is quite life threatening if it continues long enough. If you're going to give people information, please make sure it's the appropriate information. Especially considering this is a medical board.

I have had SVT for 10 years and have been assured by every single one of my doctors and cardiologists that SVT is not life threatening. I've been to the ER many times with SVT and have always been told that the heart can sustain a very rapid heartbeat for a very long time without damage unless there is underlying heart disease.

Please read the following quote: "SVT is almost never life-threatening and treatment outcomes are excellent" from U Michigan medical center.

Or this one from the Harvard medical center: "Generally supraventricular tachycardia is not a life-threatening problem although it can be quite bothersome and frightening."

Or this one from a paper published in an American Heart Association journal: "Although such symptoms may raise concern, in general, SVT is not a serious or life-threatening condition."

Or perhaps this one from the Mayo Clinic: "SVT may cause your heart to beat 160 to 200 times a minute. Although generally not life-threatening in an otherwise normal heart, symptoms from the racing heart may feel quite strong."

Last edited by Timber; 03-24-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
    Sassafrass627
    (female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

Quote:
    "SVT is almost never life-threatening and treatment outcomes are excellent" from U Michigan medical center.

Or this one from the Harvard medical center: "Generally supraventricular tachycardia is not a life-threatening problem although it can be quite bothersome and frightening."

Or this one from a paper published in an American Heart Association journal: "Although such symptoms may raise concern, in general, SVT is not a serious or life-threatening condition."

Or perhaps this one from the Mayo Clinic: "SVT may cause your heart to beat 160 to 200 times a minute. Although generally not life-threatening in an otherwise normal heart, symptoms from the racing heart may feel quite strong."
    Note the bolded words. While the information is correct, nowhere in these articles does it state that SVT is not life threatening. A relatively healthy person can have SVT for a time and tolerate it well, but not everybody is as lucky. Thank you for the information.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SVT isn't life threatening except in a small group of people with underlying heart disease whose hearts cannot sustain increased activity. The OP is not one of those people, and therefore, SVT is not dangerous for him.

Last edited by Timber; 03-24-2006 at 02:38 PM.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Actually, SVT is quite life threatening if it continues long enough. A heart pumping blood at a rate of 180 (just picking a random number there) eventually tires and stops. It is a muscle, after all.
    I agree with you about SVT being life threatening. It happened to me.

Over twenty years ago, I had uncontrolled SVT for about seven months, at about 160bpm, and it caused heart failure. The cardiologist told me that heart muscle, that is overworked by SVT, will slowly weaken, such as what happened to my heart muscle.

Actually, I think that everyone's opinion here is somewhat correct. Those that say that SVT isn't life threatening are correct, if the SVT is kept under control. For idiots like me, who ignored the SVT because of a problem with heath insurance, and because it didn't seem to effect my health, the SVT can continue to weaken the heart until it results in heart failure.

Fortunately, heart failure, a progressive disease, which used to be a death sentence, can now be very treatable with the proper medicines and care.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 03-24-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
    Sassafrass627
    (female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

Quote:
    SVT isn't life threatening except in a small group of people with underlying heart disease whose hearts cannot sustain increased activity. The OP is not one of those people, and therefore, SVT is not dangerous for him.
    So, even if his heart is otherwise perfectly healthy, he could walk around with a heart rate of 140+ (off and on) for weeks or months and have no detrimental effects from it? FALSE. I'm glad that your condition is under control and that your doctors see no reason for concern. That does not make you an expert on the subject. To say that SVT is not *generally* life threatening is one thing. But to say that SVT is not dangerous for him (or anybody else) is absolutely asinine.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    So, even if his heart is otherwise perfectly healthy, he could walk around with a heart rate of 140+ (off and on) for weeks or months and have no detrimental effects from it? FALSE. I'm glad that your condition is under control and that your doctors see no reason for concern. That does not make you an expert on the subject. To say that SVT is not *generally* life threatening is one thing. But to say that SVT is not dangerous for him (or anybody else) is absolutely asinine.
    You don't know anything about my expertise on this subject because medical qualifications are not allowed to be discussed on this board. No, of course no one should walk around with a sustained heartrate of 140 for weeks or months and I didn't suggest that anyone should do that. That would eventually tire out his heart. However, it is very rarely the case that someone walks around with a heartrate of 140 for weeks at a time. SVT is usually not sustained, hence the word "paroxysmal" frequently found in front of the SVT. And if it was sustained, certainly that person should be treated.

I don't think that SVT should be ignored, and I agree that if it were left untreated for days or weeks somebody could get sick. When I have SVT, I go to the ER after 10 or 15 minutes and I always advise anyone else with SVT to do the same. But it is simply a fact that a healthy person who sometimes has SVTs is not going to die as a result.

This is why the qualifier "generally" is added. SVT is generally not life threatening unless certain underlying conditions are present. If the OP had said that he had heart failure and was 65 years old, or that his heart had been racing at 200bpm for 3 days, I would have urged him to see a doctor immediately, because such a heart would have a hard time tolerating the extra stress. But that isn't the case. The OP is 40, has a cardiologist, and has a heartrate of 130-150 for a couple of minutes. A healthy heart will have no trouble sustaining the relatively low rate of 130 (or even 200!) for HOURS. Somebody who goes jogging for an hour would put a similar strain on their heart.

My personal condition is not under control. I've had SVT for 10 years. I have episodes every now and then, and if they don't go away by themselves I go to the emergency room. SVT is frightening and a nuisance, and for some people it's even a pretty big interference in their lives, but it will not cause somebody to drop dead, especially if they are otherwise in good health and under the care of a doctor.

Look, I was responding to the original poster, who is fairly young, has brief episodes of low tachycardia, and is terrified. This guy doesn't need to be terrified. Episodes like he is describing are not life threatening. That doesn't mean that I think that SVT should be ignored. You'll see in my first reply to him that I suggested that he go to the ER if the episodes are sustained, and that he report to his cardiologist.

Last edited by Timber; 03-26-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
    ITrustMySoulNYC

ITrustMySoulNYC HB User

OK, people, no need for fighting. I think that beerzoids had it right when he said that everyone's opinion is correct, at least to them. I'm 21 now and I walked around with a heart rate of 120-140 for several years before going on medication, and am still walking around with 120-140 bpm (though my type of Tachycardia is sustained and not yet diagnosed), and I haven't died (obviously), though I do know that it IS a possiblity. If you think about it, anything's a possibility. What's important is that everyone does what's best in their individual case, what's right for one person may be completely wrong for the next. We all have different opinions and views which we are supposed to share and learn from, arguing doesn't really get anyone anywhere, and it has probably confused the original poster much more than need be.
    Ommmm

Last edited by ITrustMySoulNYC; 03-26-2006 at 04:53 PM.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #11
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ITrustMySoulNYC
    Ommmm

I agree. Thank you.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ITrustMySoulNYC
    I'm 21 now and I walked around with a heart rate of 120-140 for several years before going on medication, and am still walking around with 120-140 bpm (though my type of Tachycardia is sustained and not yet diagnosed), and I haven't died (obviously), though I do know that it IS a possiblity.
    Humans have been blessed with a heart that has much more power than is necessary for powering the human body. A person could lose of their heart's ability to pump and still be able to function OK. That person would feel more tired, sweat more than normal, and get fatigued more easily, would occasionally experience a little more pressure when breathing, but still do OK.

What finally got me to go to the hospital, after walking around for months in a tachycardic condition, was that I could no longer breath if I slept lying down. I had to prop myself up with pillows to sleep at night, and my breathing was still labored. I thought that it was due to my asthma. (Big DUH here, and slap on side of head).

I haven't died, obviously, either, but I sure wish that I had gotten my tachycardia under control before suffering from this stupid heart failure. Although I am finally doing much better, it has been a long, tough road to recovery.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
    ITrustMySoulNYC

ITrustMySoulNYC HB User

I totally undertand how physically and emotionally taxing this has been on you. I JUST started going on meds this past weekend, even though I've known for years and years that I have constant tachycardia, I just didn't want to be dependent on meds. I know it was stupid, but I was/am young and stupid. But, it's all to make me better, and whatever you're doing will hopefully make you better, and hopefully what everyone is doing is making them better!! What I said before was just in response to the mini-argument that ensued between some of the posters.
    Smile!!

Old 03-28-2006, 02:34 PM   #14
    Laura B
    Veteran
    (female)

Laura B HB User

I have SVT episodes, on and off, for at least 10 years. Cardiologist told me a few years ago not to worry about them, tests showed my heart is healthy and most episodes stop usually within one hour.
    About a month ago he put me on medication for it and I did not have any episodes since. It also stopped my "skips" which I had almost daily. I guess he feels I should be on medication now because of my age (76) To the original poster, as you see, even after almost weekly short episodes for 10 years, I'm still around and kicking.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

[QUOTE=Sassafrass627]It isn't?

Actually, SVT is quite life threatening if it continues long enough. A heart pumping blood at a rate of 180 (just picking a random number there) eventually tires and stops. It is a muscle, after all. Not to mention that at a rate that high, the amount of blood (and oxygen) the heart is able to pump to the rest of the body is significantly lowered and will lead to death (if the rate doesn't slow down). If you're going to give people information, please make sure it's the appropriate information. Especially considering this is a medical board.

You bet it is. I am lurking on this site trying to read about PVC's for my husband but when I read about the rapid heart rate and the poster wasn't concerned they should be. When I was in my mid twenties I went for a complete check up and the doctor could not believe what he saw. My heart rate was also up about the 180's and with further tests showed at rest my heart rate was 150. I didn't want to take any drugs for it but when the doctor said that if I didn't take any meds for it I might be dead by the time I was 40. I was on inderal 100 mg three times a day and my heart rate is about 80-90 now but the doctors have said that is OK.I have since changed drugs to a long lasting beta blocker but a rapid heart rate is something that could be life threatning.

Closed Thread