It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Please it's about my mother I need help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2006, 04:41 AM   #1
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    Please it's about my mother I need help.

Hi,

This post is about my mother's condition, she has seen many doctors and all of them give her the same medications but with different dosages and now she's very sick and doctors can't do anything. She's 65 and she has heart disorder (as some of them says) and diabetic since she was 60. She had many tests many times:

1- Fasting blood sugar average 170 and after eating by 2 hours 200 but that's the range. Now with her new medication her blood sugar is 150 FASTING and 139 after 2 hours from eating (I think it's good right?).

2-
    Total Cholesterol 164 up to 200 mg/dll
    H.D.L Cholesterol 32 30-80 mg/dll
    L.D.L Cholesterol 93 80-180 mg/dll
    Triglycerides 257 30- 160 mg/dll

3- Her liver tests came back good so I will not write them here.
    4- Her Echo Doppler Report

- Mildly dilated both LA & RV, with normal dimensions of all other caradiac champers and aorta.
    - Normal morphological structure and doppler flow across all cardiac valvers; except for mildly sclerotic both mitral and aortic valves resuting in only moderate MR (G II/IV)
    - Good overall systolic function (EF=73%)
    - Marked diastolic dysfunction of relaxation abnormality.
    - No segmental systolic wall motion abnormality at rest.
    - No pulmonary hypertion.
    - No pericaridal effusion, or any intracardiac masses.

Now the medication:

1- 20 mg of Trimetazidine dihydrochloride twice daily.
    2- 2.5 mg Zebeta daily.
    3- 2.5 mg of Nitroglycerin twice daily.
    4- 2 mg of Glimepiride daily.
    5- 50 mg of Acarbose daily.
    6- 2 Asprin daily after lunch.
    7- And the last doctor has added "Fenofibrate 300 mg daily" 13 days ago and he said that she has arteriosclerosis which makes her feel the pain in her chest and tired when she do anything .

I told her to take Omega 3 and I found a local product that cotains 1000 mg Omega 3 and 100 Wheat Germ Oil, she takes it one time daily.

I just want know if the medication is GOOD or BAD? why she feels breathless all the day? should I tell her to take 2 Omega3 instead of 1 daily?

Why she feels very breathless when her blood pressure drop from 120/80 to even 110/80? and she feels mure more breathless when her blood pressure down to 90/50 plus the chest pain.

help please I can't do anything and doctors just want to get as much money as they can .

Thanks,
    Michael

Last edited by cartner; 03-25-2006 at 07:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Please it's about my mother I need help.

I'll try a couple Mike:

Quote:
    and he said that she has arteriosclerosis which makes her feel the pain in her chest and tired when she do anything .
    She has angina caused by atherosclerosis.

Quote:
    Why she feels very breathless when her blood pressure drop from 120/80 to even 110/80? and she feels mure more breathless when her blood pressure down to 90/50 plus the chest pain.
    Blood pressure is the body's way of forcing blood where it might not otherwise flow. THus someone who is dependent on BP for getting enough blood into the heart wil have more pain if the BP is artificially lowered with medication.

She's prescribed fenofibrate because it's particularly good at lowering triglycerides.

Your mom is a classic case of Metabolic Syndrome (Syndrome X) characterized by high triglycerides, low HDL and poor blood sugar control (diabetes) and a strong tendency towards heart disease.

Her fasting blood sugar is better at 150 than at 170 but a little lower might be desirable.

Usually people with Syndrome X are heavy with a lot of bodyfat in the belly. One of the best things they can do for themselves is to lose a LOT of weight even though it's harder for them than others.

Her next intervention if she has one, will probaly be an angiogram especially if her chest discomfort is too unpleasant or too frequent.

Trimetazidine:
    Interesting stuff ...and new to me. An Oxford University Pess article described its rather unique action. It shifts cardiac tissue from being basically FAT burning to being SUGAR burning. As such it allows the heart to get much more energy out of a given quantity of blood...proobably even more from a diabetic's blood. This healps with angina.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-25-2006 at 06:04 AM.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Lenin,

Thanks for your reply and your time. She's 78 KG also she's 165 CM so I guess she has to lose at least 10 KG. Yes she has a lot of body fat in the belly.

Lenin what's angiogram ??
    What else we can do for her to make her feel better?
    Do u think that it's save to give her 2 tablets that contains 1,000 Omgea 3 with 100 Wheat Germ Oil? I mean to raise her HDL?

She doesn't walk at all, I mean she doesn't go out of home. Maybe once every month or so, do u think it's better for her to walk everyday 30 minutes?

Thanks for your great help,
    Michael

Last edited by cartner; 03-25-2006 at 06:10 AM.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think the fish oil is safe at 2 tablets.
    But for HDL raising the two things that seem to work best are niacin and alcohol.

Of course walking every day is the very best thing she can do for herself.

An angiogram is the threading of a dye squirter into the heart from the leg. The dye is then squirted into each major heart vessel in turn and shows if there is any blockage. If there is, then an immediate angioplasty can often be done to open it up, thus relieving angina pain.

Yay,
    A doctor who feels as I do about the advisability of more aspirin than just the "kiddie dose!"

Last edited by Lenin; 03-25-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:16 AM   #5
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin,

So you are saying that Alcohol raises HDL level? I heard that Omega 3 does the same thing?
    She already takes 1 tablet of Vitamin B Complex (Natural Made) daily which contains all types of Vitamin B.

So I guess walking is better than angiogram because he will afraid from that operation. I asked some friends in the US to send me Flaxseed Oil too. i'm very worry about her and I can't do anything .

Thanks for help again,
    Michael

Old 03-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaellabibat
    Now the medication:

1- 20 mg of Trimetazidine dihydrochloride twice daily.
    2- 2.5 mg Zebeta daily.
    3- 2.5 mg of Nitroglycerin twice daily.
    4- 2 mg of Glimepiride daily.
    5- 50 mg of Acarbose daily.
    7- And the last doctor has added "Fenofibrate 300 mg daily" 13 days ago and he said that she has arteriosclerosis which makes her feel the pain in her chest and tired when she do anything.
    Wow! That is one heck of a lot of drugs!

Do you realize that, that combination of drugs has never been clinically tested, together, to see if the combination was safe to take? In other words, your mother's doctors are using the "pot luck" school of medicine.

When does your mother take her meds, morning or night? Does she take most of them at the same time?

I separate my meds, from my other meds, and sometimes from various foods, by at least an hour, and sometimes I separate my meds by up to 3 hours, or I will feel as bad as your mother.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:

help please I can't do anything and doctors just want to get as much money as they can .

Thanks,
    Michael
    Blood pressure is not an indicator of how well the heart is functioning. A low blood pressure can also be the result of a heart pumping too weakly. It makes sense, right? If the heart is not doing a good job at pumping, then it could be producing less the pressure within the circulatory system.

Another example: If your water company's pumps are working badly, the water coming out of your hose will be less and the pressure on the sides of your water hose will be much less.

Does your mother ever complain that her heart is skipping, or jumping or racing, or beating weakly? How about when her blood pressure is low?

Old 03-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hello,

I don't know how to thank you dear . You are a great help, she takes her medication as following.

1- 20 mg of Trimetazidine dihydrochloride twice daily before breakfast and before dinner.
    2- 2.5 mg Zebeta daily before breakfast.
    3- 2.5 mg of Nitroglycerin twice daily before breakfast and before dinner.
    4- 2 mg of Glimepiride daily before breakfast.
    5- 50 mg of Acarbose daily before dinner.
    7- And the last doctor has added "Fenofibrate 300 mg daily" which she takes after dinner.

She feel breathless all the day specially when she does anything in the home like cleaning or so. The problem become more serious when her blood pressure drops even 5 systolic points.

So you said "low blood pressure can also be the result of a heart pumping too weakly". The report didn't mention that her heart is weak or something and the doctor said that her heart is good like everybody else. Do you mean that we should run more tests to see if her heart is weak???

Many times when her blood pressure drops she gets pain in the chest also when she does any cleaning.

I'm going crazy I just have one mother and I can't see her suffering without doing anything . What do you suggest? more tests?
    Thanks for help and thanks for your time
    Michael

Old 03-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    So you said "low blood pressure can also be the result of a heart pumping too weakly". The report didn't mention that her heart is weak or something and the doctor said that her heart is good like everybody else. Do you mean that we should run more tests to see if her heart is weak???
    I'm short of time right now, but I would like to make some suggestions regarding your mother's medicine schedule, such as, not taking two medicines within an hour of each other. Eventually certain meds might have to be separated by two hours or more.

The difficult part would be getting your mother to listen to any suggestion from someone, like me, named "Beerzoids" who is not a medical professional.

You have personally found out that particular medicines give you nasty side effects. Your mother is on, at least, seven different meds. Not only could some of those meds be making her feel lousy, the interactions between those meds and possibly what she eats, could be making her feel lousy and making her heart beat poorly.

Plus..... your mother has an insulin problem. She has Diabetes Type II and is certainly Insulin Resistant. That means that her metabolism is out of whack, which also negatively effects the way that her body reacts to heart medicines.

Your previous note said that she had "- Mildly dilated both LA & RV", which means slightly enlarged heart in her left atrium and right ventricle. Once there is damage to the heart, even if it is slight damage, the rhythm of that heart is knocked out of whack. That means that, from now on, her heart is going to have problems beating normally.

If I were her, I would go on an Insulin Resistant diet, under her doctor's care.

I've got to run now. I am going to repost an old Insulin Resistant diet thread under the Blood Pressure subject so that you can follow it, if you want to.

Problems with Diabetes Type II, Insulin Resistance, enlarged heart, rhythm problems, high blood pressure, can be improved significantly with proper medicines, taken at the proper time, and with changes to diet, environment and lifestyle. But...... getting the person to do it is sometimes impossible.

Got to run, be back.......

Regards, take care!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-25-2006 at 05:46 PM.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Beerzoids,

I have got 10 times information as the doctors told us about my mother's condition and my high blood pressure problem. So those boards are helping me so much more than anything else. And yes she will listen to what you are saying of course.

So the problem with her is the medications and the diet? could you please help me and tell me when she can take those medications?
    I will check the blood pressure boards and see your thread
    Thanks for help,
    Michael

Last edited by cartner; 03-26-2006 at 01:13 AM.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #11
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Hi Beerzoids,

I have got 10 times information as the doctors told us about my mother's condition and my high blood pressure problem. So those boards are helping me so much more than anything else. And yes she will listen to what you are saying of course.
    Listen, but don't accept anything that I say as medical fact. As patients we should question what anyone tells us, including questioning the doctors. A doctor is just a car mechanic who chose working on human bodies instead of working on cars. Car problems are much easier to diagnose and fix than human problems.

Quote:
    So the problem with her is the medications and the diet?
    You said that she has been diabetic for five years and is on medicine for it. Having Diabetes Type II, at her age, means, to me, that her pancreas is failing and the probable cause is that she consumes too many calories at one time. If she can go on a healthy, small meal, frequent eating, low calorie diet, under a doctor's care, her pancreas might be able to recover, very very slowly over time.

Insulin imbalance, or resistance, is a very serious health problem and effects almost every process in the body. When insulin is out of whack, metabolism doesn't work right and the patient usually fights all kinds of nasty symptoms. Your mother's Triglycerides level was 257 (30- 160 mg/dll), which is another indication of Insulin Resistance. Much too high. So, the first aim, IMHO, would be to get on a healthy Insulin Resistant diet and try to reverse the Diabetes Type II and Insulin Resistance at the same time.

Quote:
    could you please help me and tell me when she can take those medications?
    I will check the blood pressure boards and see your thread
    Thanks for help,
    Michael
    Your mother is on a "pot luck" combination of multiple meds, on top of having Insulin problems. As you have found out, in your quest to find a "single" medicine to address your own blood pressure problems, just dealing with the side effects of ONE medicine is complex, frustrating and somewhat dibilitating. Imagine the complexity of your mother's situation. She is on at least seven different, complex medicines. The different possible combinations of drug interactions and side effects from these medicines blows the mind.

If it were me, I would separate each medicine from the other by an hour. Also, I would not take any herbs or supplements, other than vitamins B complex or C. I would leave her medicine load alone for now. Not because it is the best thing for her, but because it is too complex and dangerous to change the medicines of someone with your mother's age and health history, unless under a doctor's supervision.

If your mother is able to follow a healthy, small meal, frequent eating, low calorie diet, under a doctor's care, then after a couple of months she should not only notice a reduction in weight and waist size, she should also start noticing an improvement in how well she feels. Also, with the diet, no eating after 8pm at night.

It makes sense, right? If her metabolism is all messed up by Insulin Resistance and Diabetes Type II, she needs to get her metabolism working correctly in order for anything else to work properly. What makes me nervious is that, as her metabolism gets better through diet, how is it going to interact with the numerous meds that she is taking? That is why she should be under a doctor's supervision. Hopefully her doctors will agree with the diet. If not, you might need to find doctors who do agree with using proper diet to reverse Diabetes and Insulin Resistance.

I know you have other notes and other questions. This is a busy time of month for me, so I'll try and check back later on you.

Regards, and best of luck and health to you and your family!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:04 AM   #12
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi again,

Yes of course I know that you are a patient and there are no healthcare professionals in these boards. I know that from the very first day I have been to the boards. As I told you before, when I go to a doctor and tell him that I have high heart rate he put me on beta-blocker and I didn't like that so I kept searching until I knew that it was Tea. Because of that I really want to know more information from you , because you are not a doctor.

By the way, she's 65. Now she wants that diet and I'm very happy that she will do something to improve her health. I have got an organic product that contains: Oats, Corn Flaks, Crisp Rice, Bran Flakes, Organic Sesame, Linseed, Faisins, Apricot, Hazelnuts and Siwa Dried Dates. Each 30g contains 110 Kcal so what do you think about that product???

Yes we will not touch the her medication. She takes Vitamin B Complex daily for the last year and I just told her to take Omega 3 supplement 13 days ago. Also I told her to take Calcium and Magnesium because I have read that Calcium increases HDL and reduces Triglycerides too.

After 1 month of this diet and supplements she will do blood tests and go from there. I don't think that doctors will help us a lot, she has seen more than 12 in those 5 years.

I know that you are busy so reply when you have some free time and thanks very much for your time and your great help.
    Thanks again,
    Michael

Old 03-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #13
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    By the way, she's 65. Now she wants that diet
    Wonderful! If your mother is successful in starting the Insulin Resistant diet, please post her questions or comments, OK?

Quote:
    and I'm very happy that she will do something to improve her health.
    Your mother is on a mess of meds, is sick with health problems, and doesn't feel good. It is going to be very difficult for her to put in the necessary effort. Someone with her problems suffers also from fatigue and apathy. The problem with being very sick is that, most of the time, the person doesn't feel well enough to take care of themselves, and, at the same time, even the slightest effort is too much to do. Even the simplest of tasks may seem overwhelming to someone who is very sick.

Even if she is convinced that the diet will make her well, her tiredness, fatigue and apathy will be very difficult for her to overcome, even if her intentions are great.

Is there anyone who can help her to prepare and setup the meals, and make it easier on her to do?

Quote:
    I have got an organic product that contains: Oats, Corn Flaks, Crisp Rice, Bran Flakes, Organic Sesame, Linseed, Faisins, Apricot, Hazelnuts and Siwa Dried Dates. Each 30g contains 110 Kcal so what do you think about that product???
    Sounds pretty good. My cereal has 80 calories per Ĺ cup. 110 calories per Ĺ cup doesn't sound too bad, right?

[QUOTE]Yes we will not touch the her medication. She takes Vitamin B Complex daily for the last year and I just told her to take Omega 3 supplement 13 days ago. Also I told her to take Calcium and Magnesium because I have read that Calcium increases HDL and reduces Triglycerides too.[QUOTE]

Be careful with the Omega 3, Calcium and Magnesium. While vitamins, like B Complex and C, are very safe, taking minerals can interact with medicines. With your mother's complex load of different medicines, anything that you add to the mix could have unintended consequences.

If it were me, I would target the Diabetes and Insulin Resistance only, at first, and not add anything new into the mix.

Quote:
    After 1 month of this diet and supplements she will do blood tests and go from there. I don't think that doctors will help us a lot, she has seen more than 12 in those 5 years.
    Yipes! 12! Wow! What a horrible experience that must have been.

By the way, any change in diet, especially a significant change, can cause unintended or uncomforable changes. During the many times I've experimented with the Insulin Resistant diet, I have experienced everything from gas pains, to mild diarrhea to constipation. Within a few weeks of the diet, though, I experienced improvements in blood pressure, rhythm problems, and how well I felt, which told me that I was on the right track.

Quote:
    I know that you are busy so reply when you have some free time and thanks very much for your time and your great help.
    Thanks again,
    Michael
    It is my pleasure. This gets me away from my problems with hurricane damage and recovery, so I thank you for your questions and your interest in what I did to improve my health. I just hope it works for both you and your mother.

Take care, and the best of health and luck to you and your family!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-01-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 AM   #14
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

So this product is good? she puts 1 spoon of milk porder on it then add hot water. I think it's a very useful meal. I will try to organize her diet before we ask more questions.

I want to say something, I'm not American but I love Americans and US very much because of what they are doing in helping people. When I started my career as a software developers I got the greatest help from Americans and they helped me in many different ways. You can't find such people in many places in this world. Thanks you for helping me and my mother .

One more thing, should I open the threads in the Heart Disorder or the Blood Pressure boards? I'm not sure but it's about diet that improves blood pressure and heart too . Whatdo you suggest?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Last edited by cartner; 03-28-2006 at 01:32 AM.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:54 AM   #15
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    I want to say something, I'm not American but I love Americans and US very much because of what they are doing in helping people.
    Thanks for the nice words about America and Americans. I take great pride in my country. My freedom and democracy, and the freedom and democracy of countless millions around the world, are the result of the sacrifices of many of my brothers and sisters in uniform. Sadly, there are many corrupt, selfish dictators in this world who want their citizens to view Americans as evil, so that their general population blames America, and others, for their misery instead of their own leaders.

I fly the US flag on my vehicle and over my "hurricane damaged" home every day. In fact, the day after my home was hit by a hurricane, the same tattered, worn flag, that was knocked down and damaged during the storm, went back up, and is still flying today. To me, it is a symbol, however damaged and worn, of America's determination in the face of adversity, and it inspires me everytime I look at it.

Quote:
    You can't find such people in many places in this world. Thanks you for helping me and my mother .
    I hope that it does help both of you. I am a little nervous about the effects of a sudden change in diet, especially with your mother. That is why I think that it would have been better to do the diet under medical supervision. When you change diet, it can also effect how meds work in the body.

Quote:
    One more thing, should I open the threads in the Heart Disorder or the Blood Pressure boards? I'm not sure but it's about diet that improves blood pressure and heart too . Whatdo you suggest?
    Thanks,
    Michael
    It probably fits better under Heart Disorders.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-01-2006 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Spelling errors, corrections

Closed Thread