It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• MVP vs. MR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
    debbie2862
    (female)

debbie2862 HB User
    MVP vs. MR

I was wondering if anyone here knows the difference between MVP and Mitral Regurgitation?
    About 8 years ago, I was diagnosed with MVP w/o regurg and told I didn't need prophylaxis. OK, fine.
    A few months ago, I went for an echo and was told that I have Mitral Regurg without MVP. The doctor told me that I still don't need prophylaxis but from everything I've read online, it sounds like I do. Incidentally, the physician's asst at his office originally told me that I DO need prophylaxis.

The doctor (who is not a cardiologist) told me that about half the population has regurgitation - also not what it says online.

So now I'm totally confused. Do I need the prophylaxis or not? Does anyone know about this stuff?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
    Lindsay:-)
    Inactive
    (female)

Lindsay:-) HB User
    Re: MVP vs. MR

Hi Debbbie,

I would get a second opinion from a cardiologist ASAP. I was born with a compicated congenital heart condition and part of it is called Congenitally Corrected Transposition of the Great Arteries - which basically means that the 2 atrium are in the right place but the ventricles are switched so the left atrium goes into the smaller right ventricle (one that usually goes tothe lungs) and the right atrium goes into the left ventricle.
    The left side ok at the moment but the right sided valve, tricuspid valve (usually on the right) is leaking, and over the years it has leaked constantly I was going to have it replaced but the right ventricle was so enlarged from having to work twice as hard to pump blood round the body that it was too risky to replace it as the ventricle wouldn't be able to cope. It is safer to let it leak until things go pear shaped and I have been told eventually that I will need a heart transplant (due to other problems I have not nescessarily the leaky valve)
    Obviously you are not in the same position as me so don't worry but I am trying to get across that it is not a good idea to leave leaking valves for ages as other things start to get worn out, it is better to get it checked out properly by someone who knows more, even if it doesn't have to be done now, they can keep a check on it and take action if nescessary.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Lindsay

Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
    Lindsay:-)
    Inactive
    (female)

Lindsay:-) HB User

Another thing I fotgot to mention is that I assume you have been told about taking antibiotics before having any dental work done?
    There is a risk if contracting endocarditis which is a infection that attacks the valves and the lining of the heart, it is transferred into the bloodstream when you have work done on you teeth. I have to take some amoxicillin 1 hour before I have to go.

Lindsay

Old 03-30-2006, 05:29 AM   #4
    Gene M
    (male)

Gene M HB User

Small amounts of heart valve regurgitation is common. It should be monitored to see if it worsens. I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis and regurgitation twenty years ago. My condition worsened and last February I had my valve replaced.

Antibiotics before dental work are usually prescribed when a valve is calcified. Yours may not be. See a cardiologist and put your mind at ease.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
    ralange
    (female)

ralange HB User

Last Oct. I found that I had a heart murmur....went to cardiologist....was diagnosed with mitral valve regurgitation. The regurgitation rate was 66 cc (anything over 60 was considered severe). I had no other symptoms. Last week I had mitral valve replacement surgery at the Mayo in Rochester. I feel great and even feel better in the fact that I did not wait for my heart to start dysfunctioning. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #6
    Brad53
    (male)

Brad53 HB User

You may have misunderstood the cardiologist. You can have mitral valve prolapse, without having mitral valve regurgitation. The difference is with MVP, your mitral valve prolapses backwards into your left ventricle. If this prolapse (backward movement of the mitral leaflets) is not severe enough, you do not have regurgitation (valve leakage). MVR is when the degree of MVP is severe and some of the blood that should go to your body, is regurgitated back into the left atrium where it opposes flow of fresh, oxygenenated blood, trying to come from your lungs to your left atrium. This is very serious, depending on the degree of regurgitation. Many have MVP, but not MVR.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:49 AM   #7
    debbie2862
    (female)

debbie2862 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brad53
    You may have misunderstood the cardiologist. You can have mitral valve prolapse, without having mitral valve regurgitation. The difference is with MVP, your mitral valve prolapses backwards into your left ventricle. If this prolapse (backward movement of the mitral leaflets) is not severe enough, you do not have regurgitation (valve leakage). MVR is when the degree of MVP is severe and some of the blood that should go to your body, is regurgitated back into the left atrium where it opposes flow of fresh, oxygenenated blood, trying to come from your lungs to your left atrium. This is very serious, depending on the degree of regurgitation. Many have MVP, but not MVR.
    Nope, I understood him correctly. They didn't do the first echo so they are not convinced that I ever had MVP but are saying that I have MR WITHOUT MVP which is really weird if you ask me. Someone got something wrong, obviously. From what I've read, you can have MVR without MVP but I'm not sure under what conditions.

I really need to see a cardiologist and get a 3rd opinion, I guess. But I'm not sure in the meantime if I should take the antibiotics for dental work or not.

Last edited by debbie2862; 04-04-2006 at 05:49 AM.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
    matty_boston
    (male)

matty_boston HB User

Debbie,

I know if you have Rheumatic Fever, this can cause MR. I have a daughter who was recently diagnosed with Rheumatic Fever and as a result has mild mitral valve regurgiation. RF is caused by undetected Strep Throat which we never knew she had.

Could your condition be from Rheumatic Fever?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
    debbie2862
    (female)

debbie2862 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matty_boston
    Debbie,

I know if you have Rheumatic Fever, this can cause MR. I have a daughter who was recently diagnosed with Rheumatic Fever and as a result has mild mitral valve regurgiation. RF is caused by undetected Strep Throat which we never knew she had.

Could your condition be from Rheumatic Fever?
    I am not aware of ever having Rheumatic Fever. I've had Strep a few times. Is it possible to have Rheumatic Fever and not know about it? It sounds like it is something that wouldn't be missed but I'm no doctor.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
    matty_boston
    (male)

matty_boston HB User

Debbie,

I know my daughter never had any symptoms of strep but we noticed she was fidgeting all of the time (turned out to be Sydenham Chorea). Other symptoms of RF are arthritis, and a rash.

I am not saying you have this, just wanted to make you aware of this. Althought its considered a rare disease, people can still get RF.

As for the MR, if its mild, you probably ok. It would just need to be checked periodically by a cardiologist. What degree of MR do you have?

Old 04-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
    debbie2862
    (female)

debbie2862 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matty_boston
    Debbie,

As for the MR, if its mild, you probably ok. It would just need to be checked periodically by a cardiologist. What degree of MR do you have?

Thank you Matty. Yeah, my doctor (not cardiologist) said that it was very mild and that I should just have an echo once a year. I'm not sure exactly what degree it is since I didn't get a copy of the report but he was not concerned at all and also said I didn't need to take antibiotics before dental work. However, the Physician's asst and my dentist said that I should. That is the part that has me confused because everything I've read says that you DO have to take antibiotics with MVR. I don't want to take antibiotics unless I really have to. What did they tell you for your daughter?

Old 04-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
    matty_boston
    (male)

matty_boston HB User

My daughter has to take antibiotics before a dentist appointment even though its mild. I am not sure if it depends on what caused the MR or not, but I am pretty sure for RF, it is recommended to take antibiotics even if your MR has resolved. I would definately ask the cardiologist and not your regular doctor about this. I would think he or she would be the one to determine this. If he or she says no, I would definately ask him why you don't.

I would try to find out what your MR was caused by.

Good Luck!

Old 04-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #13
    Brad53
    (male)

Brad53 HB User

Rheumatic Fever causes damage to some heart valves sometimes. This is how RF causes MVR. It damages the mitral valve, or the seat of the mitral valve. You must have damage to the mitral valve is some way shape or fashion for MVR to occur. MVP, an abnormality with the mitral valve, and MVR can also be caused by remodeling of the heart due to cardiomyopathy.

Rheumatic Fever
    Etiology and Epidemiology

Group A streptococcus is the etiologic precursor, but the role of constitutional and environmental factors is unknown. Familial susceptibility is significant. Malnutrition, overcrowding, and lower socioeconomic status seem to predispose to streptococcal infections and subsequent rheumatic attacks.
    In the USA, for unknown reasons, RF is relatively rare, even when streptococcal pharyngitis is not treated; however, reports indicate a resurgence. Outbreaks were reported in the 1980s in Utah and Ohio and in the 1990s in Pennsylvania. Surprisingly, cases tended to occur in white middle class children living in suburban or rural areas. A mucoid M type 18 group A streptococcus was prevalent in these cases; this type had been associated previously with RF but had been uncommon in the USA for several decades. An outbreak was also reported from a military camp in 1989; 3 of 10 adult men with the disease developed carditis. More virulent strains of streptococci appear to be returning to the USA, and the incidence may increase in the next few years.

Cardiac involvement: Valve involvement is the most characteristic and potentially dangerous pathologic effect. An acute interstitial valvulitis may cause valvular edema. Left untreated, valve thickening, fusion, and retraction or other destruction of leaflets and cusps may occur, leading to stenotic or regurgitant functional changes. Similar involvement can shorten, thicken, or fuse chordae tendineae, adding to the regurgitation of damaged valves or producing regurgitation of an otherwise unaffected valve. Dilation of valve rings may be a third mechanism causing regurgitation. Regurgitation and stenosis are the usual effects on the leaflets of mitral and tricuspid valves; the aortic valve generally becomes regurgitant initially and stenotic only later. The mitral valve is involved most commonly; the aortic valve, often; the tricuspid valve, rarely; and the pulmonic valve, rarely.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #14
    Brad53
    (male)

Brad53 HB User

Debbie

I want to thank you so much for your post. I had a procedure done on my heart a month ago. I have been exposed to strep throat numerous times this late winter and spring from all 3 of my grandchildren. They kept becoming reinfected with strep. I was treated once for it about 2 months ago. I described my symptoms and being around my sick grandchildren to my family doc, and he said, "I am going to treat you for it." At the time and for whatever reason, I couldn't tolerate the antibiotics. I did get better, but now I am worried. I have had a lot of angina and know well what it it and how it feels. Since the procedure though, my heart feels very sore.

I am going to call my cardio's office tomorrow.

Thanks again. You have done me a great favor with this information I have discovered here, and that is that strep is probably a cause of RF.

Kindest regards,

Brad

Last edited by Brad53; 04-04-2006 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo

Old 04-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #15
    debbie2862
    (female)

debbie2862 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brad53
    Debbie

I am going to call my cardio's office tomorrow.

Thanks again. You have done me a great favor with this information I have discovered here, and that is that strep is probably a cause of RF.
    Kindest regards,
    Brad
    You're welcome Brad! I'm glad I brought it up if it means that you find some information that can help you. Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by debbie2862; 04-05-2006 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread