It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Best website for heart diagnostic information

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
    burpee
    (male)

burpee HB User
    Best website for heart diagnostic information

Can anyone post their favorite website for medical tests relating to cardiovascular diagnostic tests. I'm already scheduled to get an echocardiogram in a few weeks and I suspect I may need other tests because I already have damage to my left ventricle.

What I'm looking for is information about all the types of medical imaging available and how and when and what type of cardiovascular risks warrant their usage.

For instance, I know I have risk factors for coronary heart disease, but I don't know whether my risk factors warrant tests involving catheterization. I'd also like to know if there are expeirmental, or competing technologies that can replace catheterization.

I've been to most basic websites. I'm looking for in depth information.

Thanks for any comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
    Re: Best website for heart diagnostic information

Hi burpe,

Your echo will visually display on a screen the pumping activity of your heart. I watched my heartbeats during my test!

If you have heart muscle damage, wall motion will be impaired. Contractions will be compromised and apparent, and the echo software will calculate the heart's efficiency and degree of muscle damage.

Sometimes heart muscle is not necrose due to lack of blood, but the heart cells are stunned and hybernating. Restoration of blood flow could activate and refresh the tissue to normal or almost normal.

Prior to cath, blockage should be known by non-invasive tests. Doing cath will exact the intra-heart pressures and place a stent if needed. Tests prior to cath would include imaging, echo and stress test with an injection of a dye substance to view the perfusion of the dye through the heart tissues. Blockage should be apparent!

Competing treatment with a cath and stent would be a bypass.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Let me also add to KenKeith's info that since one of the more invasive tests, angiography, carries a risk of around 1-2% of very serious complications. It shouldn't be done routinely and is best used for people who are symptomatic with pain or shortness of breath.
    I feel strongly that a partial blockage causing no symptoms should be totally ignored, diagnostially and interventionally!

An echocardiogram is useful for heart damage but not veryy useful for coronary arterial damage...and it needs a talented eye to read. I'm good with interpreting tests but I admit the echogram which I watched every beat of looked like so much SMOOSH to me. The cardiologist who read it came up with a diagnosis that turned out to be also so much SMOOSH!

Old 04-02-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
    burpee
    (male)

burpee HB User

"and it needs a talented eye to read" Right, and I've been to several websites that describe the methodology of using echo output to determine the possibility and extent of left ventricle health by visual characteristics displayed during contractions.

My current assumption is that most of this part of the diagnosis is by inference. Of course, all of my comments are untrained speculation, but I'd thought I'd try to get and understanding of the comparitve strengths and weaknesses of each diagnostic technology.

Another consideration is an understanding of my personal perspectives toward my "quality of life" regarding activity and whether a healthcare professional's prognosis will adequately weigh my values when evaluating the pros and cons of future modifiable behaviors.

It would be nice - if this was all Star Trek, and Bones could just give an exact 411 about my heart's health after 30secs on a table with his "tri-corder".

Old 04-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

burpee,

Here's how my case went. I suffered for years with I thought/feared/knew,actually was angina. I finally had a stress/echo and got a diagnosis of no problem...the discomfort is caused by hypertension (I'm white coat to beat the band.)
    Five more years and I'd had enough of the pain and saw the best cardiologist in New York. After 20 minutes of talking he said I'd had angina for 10 years...TEXTBOOK... but he didn't want to do a stress test on me because of my super high blood pressure (white coat again.)
    I said, and he immediately agreed, let's go right to the the angiogram KNOWING
    it was a 99% certainty anyway.

A week later I was angiogrammed, angioplastied and stented with a newly wide opened RCA (from a 99%+blockage) and no pain on exertion.

I was able to expedite the process...yeah right, 10 years...because I FINALLY knew in my heart exactly what was wrong.

If you know already that you have ventricular damage and there is a hope for surgical or percutaneous intervention, then there is most likely an angiogram in your cards. What kind of ventricular damage do you have? Remodeling?

As you might be able discern from reading betweeen my lines, I am not a big fan of poor resolution echograms...at least not for looking at very small moving things! The future of superb noninvasive cardiac diagnoses, I feel, lies in the inevitable coming 128 and 256 slice CAT scans.
    Or in McCoy's handy dandy housewife/surgeon helper! (But can it core a apple? )

Last edited by Lenin; 04-02-2006 at 05:31 PM.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote burpee: "My current assumption is that most of this part of the diagnosis is by inference. Of course, all of my comments are untrained speculation, but I'd thought I'd try to get and understanding of the comparitve strengths and weaknesses of each diagnostic technology."

There is some subjectivity involved in measuring heart chambers. The tech pointed that out to me at the time of my echo, and I watched the procedure.

A margin of error is probable due to the borders of the chambers are somewhat "fuzzy" as it is displayed on the screen (screen representation is outlined). The tech uses judgement in outlining (stops realtime motion) and outlines the border with the transducer (changes ultra sound to analog and digital representation) at peak of systole (contraction phase) and then outlines at end of the relaxation phase. The echo software does the calculations.

Are chambers always the same size in a given session or throughout the day? Probably not! Heart rate changes as does intra-heart pressures so there is a wide range of measurement in centimeters. Is the measurement time accurate enough to be the exact time of the peak of systole or diastole for the heartbeat being measured?

An EKG uses electric impulses to plot on a graph the measurement of time (horizontal axis) and voltage (vertical axis) with each heartbeat. If heart muscle is damaged, conduction will be impaired. This will increase the resistance in the area of the heart muscle damage and will cause higher voltage (ohms law:resistance times amps equals volts) or no passing of the signal. The area will be identified by the electrode. An enlarged heart will require more time to pass a signal in area measured, and the representation will be wider, etc. There may be transient variations (normal) that can obscure an accurate reading as well as subjective understanding. A positive would require further testing.

Last edited by started04; 04-03-2006 at 12:28 PM.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:03 AM   #7
    burpee
    (male)

burpee HB User

I'm continuing to contact various clinics requesting information about their research efforts, staff and affiliate physicians.

I have no idea what my current condition is - excepting to say, after 20 years of known insufficiency, I would expect all LVH could not be construed as "healthy".

NO doubt, some type of diagnostic tool that can provide detailed, accurate coronary angiography would be of great benefit. I was recently "tipped" about a service known as EBT, which I wonder -- is another version of "CAT scan".

I've also read about variations of MRI technology that are being implemented in new ways, with repect to Cardiological applications.

Of course, the type of results, and accuracy I would like from any fresh diagnostics is hampered by my lack of previous medical history test results. A series of doppler ECs and EKGs would go along way in giving and "interested" expert physician in making assumptions about where along a continuim my health status is - and how fast it's going downhill.

Thanks for the remarks, so far I've learned that uninsured/self-pay health consumers are an "unintended" customer for many large health system providers, and as near I can tell, many of them would prefer that you just go away. I week's worth of dealing with call-center reps that have no idea how to get me a "consumer price" for any advanced diagnostic tests has left me with a "heavy heart". yuk, yuk, yuk,.........

Old 04-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

burpee lets talk turkey!

Are you someone without insurance in the United States who is worried about a heart problem?
    What are your symptoms?
    Keep it straightforward.

Alas, WITHOUT insurance , most of cardiology cutting edge technology is only available to Bill Gates and those on Medicaid...but the latter get only beta-blockers!
    An ECG (or EKG for Germans) isn't bery useful diagnostically these days, a postitive ALWAYS demands better testing, a negativve means litle if you have symptoms. Also many doctors are total NOOOOODDGES when confronted with an ECG...all they can do is nod like they know the squiggly lines mean more to them than to you !

Last edited by Lenin; 04-07-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Closed Thread