It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• PVC's ruining QUILITY of Life!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #16
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User
    Re: PVC's ruining QUILITY of Life!

To all that have posted, MANY MANY THANKS! I have been in bed sick with a terrible stomach virus.Not a lovely thing to talk about on here, but i have not been able to post. I have read all of them though. This board is so supportive. I too live in fear of leaving my "comfort zone." I would love to travel again. But when I got this virus, the fever I had, 101.4, I suppose is what made my heart start "showing out" like crazy. It was also 100 bpm at rest. Not like me at all. The Corgard I take usually keeps my HR down in the 60's. When I wake up from a nap, which Ihave been doing a lot of since last Sat., I am startled, and heart is thumping hard. I can NEVER just get up from sleeping and take a shower. The first thing I do every morning, is grab my water by the night stand, and my bottle of Corgard. Then give it about 30 mon. to kick in before I can even get up and around. Some days are not as bad as others. But i usually wake up with an irregular HB., every morning. I know most of mine are benign, but i just can't seem to get a grip on things. I mean, how dothe rest of you with lots of PVC's deal with being in a store and have your heart start firing extra beats. llike mine. 10 a minute. My electro doc told me that eventually, if they don't ease up, my heart would weaken. I try so hard to eat the right things. I wouldn't go near caffiene, chocolate, orange juice ( sugar makes my PVC's go nuts!) or any alcohol beverages. I'm scared top get on my treadmill. My family, although supportive, knows the dr's have toldme that these are "probably" not gonna kill me, and they are basically sick of hearing me talk about it. Sometimes I feel like I am so alone in this ole world. Again, I so appreciate all of you that have taken your time to post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #17
    Kimah5202
    Inactive
    (female)

Kimah5202 HB User
    Smile Re: PVC's ruining QUILITY of Life!

i wouldnt worry too much about your heart getting weaker from the pvc's in time. my gma has had pvc's every other beat for 40 yrs and is still in PERFECT health, everyone comments on how they wish their parents/gparents could do as much as she does. she plays in a country band as a singer/guitarist, nothing too big, its just for nursing homes and senior centers but it takes up about 5 days of her week and she is 80 yrs old. my aunt has gotton pvc's every other beat(thats alot im shaking in my boots thinking about the day this might be me!) for atleast ten years. she travels around the world with college students for a career, she is a proffesor at texas a&m, she teaches international buisness. weirdest thing of all is they dont feel them!!! i really dont understand how but they make me feel like a big baby because i get really upset over mine, im much younger than them tho so i feel like im doomed. i think your mind has alot to do with your health. if you think about your heart being sick, it will get sick, im a firm believer of this so i try my best to not think about it. i really shouldnt be coming to these health boards but when im having rough times i get comfort in reading about other people. i hope someone can find comfort in my gma and aunts situation, they have alot of pvc's, probably more than most of you and they are still going strong. i really look up to them and there acomplishments, how pvc;s havent affected there way of life even the slightest. take care
    kim

Old 04-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #18
    Lovelydarling
    (female)

Lovelydarling HB User

Some people don't feel them. However, those that do are very shaken, and I know when I get mine, I almost pass out and can't even speak they are so strong. If I didn't feel them, that would be GREAT!

Old 04-28-2006, 05:36 AM   #19
    tomh
    (male)

tomh HB User

If PVC's bring you to the brink of passing out, they are not benign and maybe not PVC's.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #20
    Lovelydarling
    (female)

Lovelydarling HB User

Tomh, I agree with you. However, with all the tests I had done, everything still came back normal. I wish Doctors knew more about these.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #21
    wagirl98665
    (female)

wagirl98665 HB User

I know exactly how you feel and what you're going through. I have this every single day of my life and just like you said in your post, it's taken over my life. For me it first started about 5 years ago and the doctor put me on Atenalol and that was pretty much the end of it, no more palpitations. Well on Jan.27th it all started again and this time worse then I can ever remember. At first I just thought it was my nerves, but when it went on for days and days and being so scared at times I even went to the ER a couple of times and had EKGs, but they all came back ok. I finally went to see my doctor and he increased the dose of Atenalol, but that didn't help either. Then he put me on Prozac, but that seemed to make it worse, so he took me off that and put me on Paxil, but that doesn't work either. He also sent me to see a cardiologist that did absolutely nothing except listen to my heart and tell me nothing was wrong and that my extra heart beats were nothing serious. I finally insisted they put the halter monitor on me so that they could see what I was going through. They did that and the test results showed...Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. The doctor said it wasn't dangerous and not to worry about it and that they would get it under control. Well here I sit 3 months later with my heart pounding out of my chest, day in and day out and nothing is working to stop this. They changed my meds last week from Atenalol to Lopressor, but so far no help. I have these heart things from the time I get up in the morning until I fall alseep at night. I have to take Lorazapam a couple of times a day just to stay calm. I have another appt. with the cardiologist on May 10th and plan to request more tests. I don't feel they've done enough to really rule out anything serious and I need to be reassured that this isn't something that's going to kill me. I hope I don't sound like some kind of nut here, but this is after all a heart problem and in my opinion, doesn't get more serious then that.

Last edited by wagirl98665; 04-30-2006 at 07:50 PM.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #22
    Kimah5202
    Inactive
    (female)

Kimah5202 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wagirl98665
    They did that and the test results showed...Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. The doctor said it wasn't dangerous and not to worry about it and that they would get it under control.
    ablations can cure most svts. i would definitly consider it if its affecting the quality of your life. i had mine at 17 and no svt since.(im almost 21 now)
    <3 kim

Old 05-01-2006, 12:19 AM   #23
    ralve
    Inactive

ralve HB User

Hi all~~
    Very interesting posts---I had responded a few back, and now had to add my two cents again...
    My cardiologist has never mentioned that my heart could weaken from the PVC's, and I've been to quite a few since we've moved around alot, and I have never heard that before. Someone had mentioned how hard it must be to get them in a store or something, and I just wanted to kind of explain how I deal with them, and hopefully it might help you. It's amazing to me how your body can react to something, and then get used to it somehow, because when I first used to get these things, I didn't know anything about them, and I took my share of visits to the ER. While there, the nurses would act surprised at me, because every single time I would get a PVC, my entire body would jump out of it's skin. Now, here I am with one every few beats, and I feel them, but just kind of ignore them. My body has no reaction whatsoever. I remember reading somewhere, and this helped me, that you have to think of them as part of your "normal" heart rhythm. It's like the thought that you just beat to a different drummer! It's funny how something you read like that can really help. I think the really important thing is to learn about them, make sure you know what you are having, and then educate yourself on them, and you'll feel better. With the amount and frequency that I have them, if I were to leave a store when I got them, I would never go anywhere. I am now able to take field trips with my daughter's school (being in an "out of control" situation was hard for me for a while) and do just about anything else. One poster mentioned I think it was her aunt and her grandmother who have them, but keep on going strong. I truly think that is just everything with these things, that you have to get yourself into the mindset that you are going to have them, don't be afraid of them, and then you will eventually learn to ignore them, like if you had constant hiccups or something. That isn't to say that you shouldn't go in every so often to make sure nothing else is going on, and to get a check-up, but beyond that, if you are diagnosed with something bening, then it's up to you to find a way to learn to live with them, so you can have a good quality of life. I also try to think of it just as my cross to bear, and it's not that bad compared to what other people have. My Uncle has multiple sclerosis, and has been wheelchair bound for about 50 years, and he has alot of determination to do whatever he can do, and I figure if he can do that, I can find a way to live with my extra heartbeats.
    They are annoying, they sometimes make me very tense, I get very, very sick of them, but they are something you can live with. Once you get your mindset into a place where you are not worried about them, then it's amazing how you will start to ignore them. I am sitting here having them right now, as usual, but I wasn't really noticing them until I came on here and starting thinking more about it. Also, there are alot of things that can help settle them down. For me, the different medications that I tried made them worse eventually. I drink lots of water, and I know this might sound stupid, but I started drinking FIJI water, and I buy the liters, and make sure I have at least a couple of those each day, and I swear it helps so much. Also, not eating junky, greasy food helps, and eating light meals several times each day, and controlling blood sugar levels. I've been trying to exercise more, but sometimes that does seem to aggravate them for me, not during the exercise, but afterwards, when I'm resting. It's amazing, though, how your mind will get off them when you get preoccupied with something else. My Grandmother is 101, and she has had them also, but she is always working her mind. She has always read alot of books, and she knits alot, and that keeps her mind on something else. I will notice sometimes how I will have them really bad, but if I get in a conversation or something like that with someone, I might still be having them, but just not noticing them as much. Anyway, sorry if I'm blabbing on and on here, I just wanted to share some of my experiences with these. It takes alot of time before you are comfortable with these things, I started getting them over 15 years ago. Remember, think of them as part of the "normal" heart rhythm! Pretend that your heart is supposed to do that, and you won't worry as much. I know it's scary because it's your heart, but once you find out that you are having a benign heart arrythmia, it's important to come to terms with it. Really, if I can do it, anyone can, because these things sent me into full blown anxiety attacks for years, and that has finally settled down! I just learned to live with them. Good luck! Val

Old 05-01-2006, 04:11 AM   #24
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User

Hello all, Please read my post on the thread BETA BLOCKER SIDE EFFECTS. Thanks, Mimi

Old 05-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #25
    penk
    (female)

penk HB User

Val----ditto! I agree with you. The docs say if you have a normal heart the PVC's are harmless. A nurse told me once that getting upset over them can even increase them. She also told me, if you have enough of them and your heart isn't normal, a weakened heart muscle or damaged heart muscle, it can make you feel more tired.
    I wouldn't know how Pvc's and a normal heart would make one feel. I'm on 900mg of Mexiletine to help reduce the number of them that was discovered on a Holter...I had over 12,000 recorded in a 24 hr period, along with couplets, bi-geminey rhythm, v-tach, atrial tach and the Mexiletine has helped tremendously. I don't have a normal heart and have a defibrillator/pacemaker. I suffered a SCD episode and needed the device. It fired a few times while I was under stress and still working, going to school, etc... The stress seems to trigger these events. Now I'm rambling again. My husband has a normal heart and was found to have atrial pac's, atrial flutter, and atrial fib. His stamina goes way down when his heart is irregular. He has to rest when his heart beats out of rhythm. I feel for everyone on here who are trying to cope with the pvc's, it can be annoying and stressful if the need for medication intervention is needed to reduce them. Everyone is different.

Last edited by penk; 05-01-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #26
    wagirl98665
    (female)

wagirl98665 HB User

Please tell me what (ablations) is or means. Never heard of this....Thanks!

ablations can cure most svts. i would definitly consider it if its affecting the quality of your life. i had mine at 17 and no svt since.(im almost 21 now)
    <3 kim

Old 05-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #27
    barbpom
    (female)

barbpom HB User

WOW, I responded to another post on Palpitations and I got into this one too! I have been having daily palps for a few weeks, expecially during the day when I am most active. The feeling is terribel, oops, I just had one, any how, they are most annoying to me, and so very scary too. I'm trying to take supplements like CO Q 10, MAgnesium, aged garlic, just found out my chlosterole was high 291 ldl was 175. But these dang palps make you just think about having the next one. Trying not to think about them is very very difficult, because they feel so terrible. Oops, just had another one. But I hate it because you can't focus on things the way I want, cause If I do anything ,I'm always wondering when the next one will be, ugh. I'm thankful so far none at night while I sleep. I have not had a monitor yet. After reading this post, I even wonder if I should go to my Dr? They will probably tell me it is nothing too. I do not get dizzy at all or fainty, just the flipping of my heart off and on all day. SOmetimes it is a hard flip, other times a slight flutter. I have been trying to find out as much as I could what may cause these lousy Palps. One was Vit B defiency, But you cannot take pill form, it has to be in food form. and it can take ahile to get your Vit B's back to normal. My sister is a Dr. and she will be giving me Vit B's by a shot. I will let you know if that helps. I also read where EMF Which is Electrical Magnetic fileds, caused from TV's , computers, Electrial lines, micro wave ovens, etc, can cause you to have these Palps. There are devices you can put into the wall socket to help rid the EMF's from your home, they are kinda expensive, I want to get one for my home. I purchased a chip to put on my cell phone to help out on that. Right now, I am trying and reading everything, I don't know what will work or what will not and is just a waste of money. But If I get any good results I will let you all know. I read a post on another web site saying this guy took 2 aloe vera capsules a day and it stopped his palps...He went on to say he took the capsules for weeks and no palps. Then he went off the capsules the palps returned. Then he sarted back on them again for a few months then went off to see again, the palps came back in about a week. So I don't know if this would help anyone??
    I am a EXTREMELY nervous person, I sometimes have a feeling of impending doom. I believe this all aggervated my palps. But after reading about Vit B defiency, those where some of the symptoms even the palps! So I'm sure hope these Vit B shots will help.

I want so much to find out why we are having these lousy palps. They are so crippling for sure. I do not have them as bad as some of you, But...ooops had another one, keep searching for something that may help. oops another slight flutter one, so as you can see I'm having them all the time too.

There has to be something out there to help....
    I'll watch this post with intrest too!

Bye for now

Old 05-03-2006, 02:19 AM   #28
    ralve
    Inactive

ralve HB User

Hi all~~
    Thanks for the replies, and great info! On this previous post, it was interesting to see you noting each time you had a palp, if I did that, I'd only be writing about that and that would be it! Once you get used to them, you won't notice each and every one, or actually I do notice them, but it's just like anything else, like a hiccup, that you wouldn't get overly nervous about.
    It's interesting, though, how easy with these things, for me, that I get into the full blown anxiety thing again. I really am trying to turn my health around, and feel younger and healthier again. I am 46, and I have a 12 year old, so I want to do things with her like I did with my other kids when they were smaller. Today I went on a school field trip with her, and we went to this factory that manufactures aluminum cans for all different kinds of soft drinks, and we went down to the production floor, where you had to wear ear plugs and protective glasses, and while I was there, I really started not feeling so well. It was really hot down there, I don't know how people work there each day, and it was extremely noisy, and we were walking all around these gigantic stacks of coke cans, they were stacked as high as buildings, and all of these things put together, kind of sent me into an anxiety thing, I was sweating, nauseous, of course started the palpitations, and sort of having trouble breathing. Not terrible, like where anyone really noticed it, but I was struggling within myself. Anyway, I asked if I could go out and wait outside for them, which I did, where it was cooler, and I splased cold water on my face. I hate the way these palpitations get in the way of things like this, it's like sometimes it's a cascading sequence of symptoms. But, it always stems from the palpitations. I got back into the car, turned on the air conditioning really high, had a couple of waters, and felt a little better, but I could relate to the previous poster who said that her husband has to rest when he got these, because after I got home, I had to go and lay down for a while. So, that is what I mean when I say that these types of symptoms tend to age me, I feel like an old lady sometimes. Other Mom's there were having some sweating because it was so hot, but they weren't struggling like me. Also, I was quite a ways from home, and I talked before about my "comfort zone". Like I mentioned before also, the weird thing is, I have these palpitations all the time, all day long, but they increase in strength in a situation such as I described, and then make me really nervous. I also have bad acid reflux, I just actually woke up with that, which is why I'm on here at 4 a.m. I take pepcid for that, and that scares me sometimes, the way I wake up with it, I feel like I'm also having sleep apnea or something, it's like I wake up not breathing, and trying to catch my breath, but with acid coming up also. I'm just doing great these days!!
    Anyway, just wanted to share my expereince today with the field trip, and thank you for the posts, it helps so much to get info from all of you guys. Thanks again, Val

Old 05-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #29
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User

OMG!!! We could be twins! i have been in that sort for situation for many many yrs. More than I hate to admit. I used to have the most horrible anxiety/panic you can imagine. I mean, DAILY! If I knew my daughter had a pep rally on Friday, by wed. I was pacing the floor. I went through literal hell for about 13 yrs. ER rooms knew me all over. Seriously. I wasn't even having the PVC's but here and there back then. I am on a drug called Luvox ( fluvoxomine) It's actually prescribed for people with OCD. Which I don't have as far as the had washing all day. But Doc thought I was obcessing over my health too much, so hubby and then 18 yr. old daughter(she is 24 now) BEGGED me to go on it, and I have been on a very low dose 50mg. a night, since Jan.2000. And, wheather it's all in my head or not ..don't care., I have never had another panic attack. I may occ. but actuallly rarely, get a little anxious, mostly when I have chest pains or the thousands of PVC's I get. I suppose I may be a tad compulsive ..another post, another thread.. ha.. I used to have to set where no one would see me at all my daughters functions.. "just in case I would have to run to the car." And I felt all floaty and spacey all the time. Like it was all sureal to me. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. Good luck. I thought my life would NEVER EVER in a million yrs. be panic free. I had them on a daily basis. But the Luvox has helped, whether in my mind, or actually helping..

Old 05-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #30
    JuddsWife
    (female)

JuddsWife HB User

I read your post this morning and I too have had the same thing. My family has a history of heart disease, my mother died at 52 from a stroke, but my Dad (who's had 2 heart attacks, 3 strokes, 7 angioplasty's and 2 stents) will be celebrating his 83rd birthday on 5/31/2006. I'm 56 now. I have been scared to death that something is just going to be wrong with my heart given my family history. A few months ago, I started have more than "normal" PVC's, up to 50 or more a day (maybe I should feel lucky given the amount you're having). Anyway, I had EKG's, wore the Holter and had an echo by one of the best EP docs in San Diego. He said I'm also having PAC's, but I don't seem to feel those. I have learned that these are definitely related to my stress level over worrying about my heart. It sounds like this has been going on for you for a long time, and I hurt for you. I know how scary it is. I wish that you could get by all the worry about your heart adn live your life focusing on your family instead of these annoying premature contractions. I wish you all the best.

Closed Thread