It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• HEART CONDITIONS W/CHEST TIGHTNESS, &/OR PRESSURE,BREATHLESSNES,HEART POUNDING

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
    Solaray2
    (female)

Solaray2 HB User
    HEART CONDITIONS W/CHEST TIGHTNESS, &/OR PRESSURE,BREATHLESSNES,HEART POUNDING

Anyone w/heart condition having symptoms of:
    1. Chest tightness &/or Chest pressure,
    2. Breathlessness
    3. Heart pounding from minor exertion

What condition do you have?
    What are your symptoms?
    How was it diagnosed?
    With what tests?

Just curious, because I am aware that heart condition symptoms
    can mimic asthma symptoms and vice versa.

Was told my symptoms above are asthma
    based on Pulmonary Test (Breathing measurement test)

Had test to help rule out cardiac involvement for above symptoms:
    1. Myocardial Perfusion scan - Normal

2. Stress Test - Normal

3. Holter Moniter (1 day) - Irregular heart beat, skipped beats
    (Told it is common & to avoid caffeine)

4. EKG - 1 Abnormal/2 Normal

I am still having my doubts however, as to non cardiac involvement
    because I have been having these symptoms for over 8 mnths straight
    w/no improvement.
    Even though I have been on asthma medicine (Albuteral, Advair, Singulair, & Allergy shots) for over 8 months now.
    My belief is that, if its just asthma
    than the asthma medicines should have worked.

Would like to know more about cardiac conditions with these above symptoms
    What specific cardiac condition would cause these symptoms?
    What test would be used to diagnose this cardiac condition?

Any input/info welcome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
    penk
    (female)

penk HB User
    Re: HEART CONDITIONS W/CHEST TIGHTNESS, &/OR PRESSURE,BREATHLESSNES,HEART POUNDING

Welcome to the board Solaray2. I noticed an echocardiogram was not listed in your list of tests. See about getting one. An echo looks at the heart size, how the valves are functioning, how much blood is being pumped from your left ventricle to your body, called an ejection fraction. A 55% or higher EF is normal. If you have a weakened heart muscle, the EF will be lower. If your heart is weak, symptoms are: Fatigue, Weakness, Shortness of Breath, Palpatations. If severe weakness is present, Edema would also be part of that list. There are other tests if cardiomyopathy (muscle weakness) is diagnosed. An echo is a good place to start and would tell cardio if you need further testing, etc...
    Also, inhalers are hard on the heart. They make the heart race and can make your heart pound. I'm on Azmacort 2 puffs 2x day and Albuterol as needed. Albuterol works like epinephrine (stress hormone) so I limit it as much as possible. I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy with an EF of 30%. Hope this helps. Penk

Old 05-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
    Solaray2
    (female)

Solaray2 HB User
    Re: HEART CONDITIONS W/CHEST TIGHTNESS, &/OR PRESSURE,BREATHLESSNES,HEART POUNDING

Hi Penk,
    Thanks for your reply

Sorry I left out that I also had an echocardiogram test - 1 Suspicious for possible scar/ than 1 Normal

Yes Inhalers definitaly effect my heart (I get palpitations and gittery feeling)
    Wouldn't be surprised if it stresses out and weakens the heart from long term use.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

I believe ultra sound (echo) technology is incorporated with the stress test. The difference between echocardiogram and a stress test is a perfusion scan with and without exertion.

The array of tests have almost ruled out any heart malfunction or structual abnormality. First abnormal test and trhen normal is somewhat disconcerting! Has a thyroid irregularity been considered?

Old 05-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
    Solaray2
    (female)

Solaray2 HB User

Hello kenkeith,

""First abnormal test & then normal is somewhat disconcerting!""
    Yes I agree.
    Because of the 2 conflicting test results
    I went ahead with Myocardial Perfusion Scan per my cardiologist request.

""Has a thyroid irregularity been considered?""
    No.
    I never considered that.
    Why do you ask?
    Does a defective thyroid gland cause these symptoms?

Last edited by Solaray2; 05-02-2006 at 06:33 PM.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Solaray2,

Thyroidism is a common health problem, more so for women. The thyroid regulates body functions and heart pounding (palpitations) could definitely be associated with hypothroidism. That condition combined with medication plus the body's other chemistry could cause the current symptoms. It seems to me a heart disorder is ruled out considering your healthcare giver is competent.

Closed Thread