It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Links between heart issues, anxiety, and other problems..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User
    Links between heart issues, anxiety, and other problems..

What I believe to be the connection between my SVT, PVCs and Anxiety is this: I really think that there is something in my brain, such as a neurotransmitter or some kind of receptor (obviously I know little about this stuff) that is super sensitive to pain, stimuli, and chemicals. I feel that the anxiety, SVT, and PVCs are all possibly linked to this one problem. I think that I am very sensitive to adrenaline. I think that was a big reason for the anxiety and SVT. For so many years I have simply been physically sensitive. I can feel things that people normally cannot feel or notice. I swear, if my BP drops by one point, I feel it. Temperature raises, I feel it. So since I feel these things so clearly, I react in kind of a panic way. I think this may also be why childbirth was such a horrendous experience and the epidurals did not work. I wonder how many other ppl with this type of history feels the same way. Is this possible? Am I just a nut? I actually talked about this with my psychiatrist - who is also a neurologist - and he really feels this is a strong possibility. He said he even has a hard time diagnosing me as a clear cut case of anxiety disorder..he thinks there is more to it. He even sent his intake notes to my primary doc and cardiologist because he feels this is very complex and may have physcial components. I am curious if other ppl have these same feelings/sensitivities.

Its almost like I am TOO in tuned to everything, especially my body. But it goes to another level at times too. For example..the day before Septemeber 11th I was feeling so terrible. This was way out of the blue and hadnt had anxiety or anything in years. I was laying on the floor int eh bathroom crying and throwing up. I had no idea why. I called the Dr and made an appt for the following day, thinking I was possibly pregnant. On my way there the first plane hit the WTC. After this happened I didnt feel sick anymore. It was simply lifted. I felt saddness and fear as everyone else did. But that weird sick, crying thing was gone. I sometimes wonder if my body sensed that something terrible was about to happen. Weird eh? Perhaps I truly am a loon. But I really think that there is more to this than each seperate ailment.

I really believe that we anxiety sufferers are simply EXTEMLY sensitive to every change, touch, stimuli, chemical...everything that happens to and inside our bodies. I think we feel things that happen to everyone, but that most people never notice, they never feel it. There is some part of our brain that makes us more sensitive to these things. And subsequently it turns on the fight flight panic button and it is a vicious cycle.

I am curious...those of you who suffer from panic/anxiety..do any of you also suffer from:

SVT/IST?

PVCs/PACs (palpitations, skipped heart beats, flutters)?

GERD (acid reflux - severe heartburn)?

IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)?

Headaches?

Allergies?

Fibromyalgia?

Chronic Pain?

Sensitive to medications/chemicals?

Very difficult child birth/labors?

And have any fellow anxiety sufferers experienced strange pheonomena (precognitve thoughts or dreams, empathic symptoms, etc)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
    barbpom
    (female)

barbpom HB User
    Re: Links between heart issues, anxiety, and other problems..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cheers44
    I am curious...those of you who suffer from panic/anxiety..do any of you also suffer from:

SVT/IST?

PVCs/PACs (palpitations, skipped heart beats, flutters)?

YES!! I have it all. I'm extremely nervouse, seems everything makes me uptight. I just got back from a vacation on which I flew, I was so extremely scared to fly, just a few weeks after coming home I'm having heart palps daily almost all day.

GERD (acid reflux - severe heartburn)?

No, not this yet.

IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)?

Used to be extrememly constipated, but now I take magnesium and it has really helped.

Headaches?

Daily headaches, and because of my palps, I have to be so careful what I take for it. Nothing with caffiene

Allergies?

Some

Fibromyalgia?

No

Chronic Pain?
    Yes, where my head meets my neck, it always seem to be giving me terrible aches.

Sensitive to medications/chemicals?

yes to Chemicals

Very difficult child birth/labors?

never was pregnant

And have any fellow anxiety sufferers experienced strange pheonomena (precognitve thoughts or dreams, empathic symptoms, etc)?

I have occasional feeling of dread, or inpending doom. Which I just read is a Vit B complex defiency. It is important to get Vit B's through food and it can take awhile to get back to normal levels. I'm hoping this is my problem also with my heart palps.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User

cheers i was diagnosed with SVT too when i had a bad panic attack at the docs office.. i didnt follow up with the cardiiologist because i didnt want another panic attack.. is SVT serious?? what did the docs say about it and panic attacks?? is it related.. please i need reassurance .. thx

Old 05-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gxpark1234
    cheers i was diagnosed with SVT too when i had a bad panic attack at the docs office.. i didnt follow up with the cardiiologist because i didnt want another panic attack.. is SVT serious?? what did the docs say about it and panic attacks?? is it related.. please i need reassurance .. thx

I have a post I made a few days ago called Exhausted Vigelance...I explain my whole ordeal in that post. If there is anything I left out that you would like to know please let me know!!!!!

Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User

thank u , i read your post .. very informative.. i would like to ask u if the cardiologist thought SVT was a serious condition.. i really belive i had a bad panic attack at the docs office and they called it SVT.. i always knew i had panic and anxiety before this.. anyway.. any thoughts or opinions would be grateful .. thanks

Old 05-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
    penk
    (female)

penk HB User

Quote:
    thank u , i read your post .. very informative.. i would like to ask u if the cardiologist thought SVT was a serious condition.. i really belive i had a bad panic attack at the docs office and they called it SVT.. i always knew i had panic and anxiety before this.. anyway.. any thoughts or opinions would be grateful .. thanks

Hi, did you have feelings of a racing heart and light headedness before the gripping fear? Arrhythmia usually starts first, out of the blue, and then feelings of faint, if its bad enough. The fear usually sets in after the arrhythmia. If it is your heart, and I'm not sure this has been confirmed by what you are saying, it's best to be sure which one it is. That's my take on it. Penk

Old 05-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
    I think that many Drs consider SVT a generic term for when your heart rate is over 100 and under 160 (or something like that)...I think someone here probaly knows that better than I do..but that is how it has been described to me. I believe (have been told by many Drs and RNs) that SVT is benign in an otherwise healthy heart. However, having a high sustained rate can make your BP drop VERY low (happened to me - went to 50/30 while in ER) and you can pass out, possible injuring yourself. It is best to be treated IMO. I do not think enough is know about these types of heart issues OR panic/anxiety. I do believe that in the next decade we will discover amazing things that will like these issues together.

I am not sure if you know this..but there is a device out there that is like a pacemaker, but placed in the right side of your body..well, it has been proven to 'cure' anxiety, ocd, eating disorders, and such things as tachycardias. I wish I could remember what it is called. It is all very interesting. If I remember, I will post about it.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User

ok, thank u very much .=)

Old 05-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

SVT stands for supra ventricular tachychardia. It's a form of heart arrythmia.. the term "supra" means the irregular beat starts in the upper chambers of the heart (there are different types of tachycardia). I was recently diagnosed with it. It is benign, but if you get them regularly it can be controlled with medicine. Several things can set one off, including anxiety/panic attacks.. For me, I have yet to figure out my triggers.. sometimes a change in position is enough.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:16 PM   #10
    moesciphish
    (male)

moesciphish HB User

I think I've had several of these episodes with panic attacks... once in the ER when I was having sinus arrythmia... I could barely change position in my bed and my heart would race up to 120-135... well one time it set off the beeps on the monitor and I had a panic attack... I felt a "pop" in my brain and my heart then raced to 166 or so... another one I had when I started feeling out of it at dinner with my family... again my heart raced to easily 166+ and felt like it was coming out of my chest... the next one I had I really wasn't anxious that much... but something set it off and again the "pop" feeling in my head and then the fear and faint feeling and then racing heart and pounding.... I swear it probably was the worse one I've ever had of the 3, my heart felt like it was doing 200bpm+....the thing is, all of them have lasted less than 2 to 3 minutes... which sounds to me like panic attack though I thought I was having a heart attack.. very scary... going to the cardio tomorrow... very anxious... I've been on pins and needles ever since that last one and can't relax at all...
    I think alot of my symptoms are due to anxiety: possible gastroparesis, reflux, these heart palps and panic attacks... if I get a clean bill of health from my cardio and they don't go away on their own, though I don't want to, I am seriously going to consider an SSRI...

Last edited by moesciphish; 05-02-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #11
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User

please see my post, u can do a search for it. maybe we can help eachother if u still have symptoms

Old 05-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
    moesciphish
    (male)

moesciphish HB User

Just a funny comment about hypervigilance... ever since in the ER with chest pains and having a panic attack from the heart monitor beeping when my tachy kicked in.. whenever I'm in the cardio (or almost anywhere for that matter) and hear strange beeps, it causes me horrible anxiety and my heart starts racing. Well today when I was having my echo done, the machine would make a beep when the technician clicked a new window or something... that would make me jump... well then this other beeping, like the warning noise on the heart monitor in the ER started happening, I though it was a machine hooked up to the electrodes on my heart... it would beep alarmingly every so often and would cause my heart to pound and race... thinking it was my heart... one time it wouldn't stop and I was starting to panic... the technician must have gotten annoyed by it and went over to see what the matter was... it then stopped and I calmed down with breathing... I asked her at the end of the echo what that noise was... she said it was just her machine and had nothing to do with my heart... I had to laugh....

also.. I've become so obsessed about my heart/pulse etc.. I can concentrate on one area of my body and actually feel my pulse just within my body... like if I'm laying down and concentrate on my hand just laying there.. I can make my hand palpate and sense a pulse with just my mind... same thing for my abdomen and my feet... kind of cool, kind of scary...

Last edited by moesciphish; 05-12-2006 at 11:45 AM.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #13
    seaecho
    (female)

seaecho HB User

Some of us are so extremely sensitive to any stimulus, and we are the ones that usually have the panic attacks. I really do believe we are "wired" differently. I've had most of the symptoms the OP described. When my heart would start with its shenanigans (I have MVP) I always thought it was the fear of my heart stopping, etc. that caused my panic attacks. But my doctor informed me that one out of three people with MVP have panic disorder, and no one knows why. So could it have something to do with the heart releasing adrenaline (?)

The hyper sensitivity to noises, etc. really hit home with me. When I was in the ER when I had my bout of SVT, or whatever it was (it had stopped by the time I got there), every time the blood pressure cuff would tighten on me, which was every fifteen minutes, I jumped practically to the ceiling. Just about any little thing can set off a panic attack in me, and certain periods of time seem to be much worse than others. Even a phone ringing or anything that makes a repetitious noise can highly irritate me.

My emotions are overwhelming at times. I have a lot of empathy for other people and have a hard time of it not worrying constantly about family members, friends, etc. And yes. . . certain medications (like SSRIs) will trigger heart palps in me and extreme anxiety, to the point to where I cannot tolerate them. This has triggered a med phobe, on top of everything else. I've since read that many people with MVP cannot tolerate SSRIs, and they affect them differently from the general population.

Reflux, allergies, migraines, nerve pain and palps. . . yes to all of them. No to IBS. So it sounds as if there is really something to this. I have suspected for many years that something was very "different" about me and my strange symptoms. Maybe its all connected to being hyper sensitive along with a wonky acting ticker? I'm hoping big strides will be taken in the near future in finding out the connection between heart beat irregularities and anxiety. This is an extremely interesting subject for me. Thanks for bringing it up.

Randi

Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

Funny that you mentioned that. My husband has MVP and also was diagnosed with severe panic disorder about 12 years ago. He still has to be medicated daily and probably always will. And sometimes, the meds don't even work all the way. He still has those days where no matter what he does, the anxiety just keeps on rearing it's ugly head. I feel for anyone who suffers from these disorders. It really does seem like a scary thing to go through.

Also, I thought it was interesting that you said something about us possibly being oversensitive and things that would make you jump. The alarm going off every single morning scares me to death. Also, when making toast, even though I know the toast will "Pop" up at some point, it still scares me every time! I just laugh at myself when this happens. I wouldn't do very well in a crisis situation I guess.

Closed Thread