It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Just took my new med for first time...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User
    Just took my new med for first time...

I did it. It took a week but I finally did it!! Now I am petrified. I am so scared and constantly checking my heart rate. I was switched to metoprolol for those who havent read my million fearful posts.

Anyway, how long does it take to get into your system? I took it about 1 hour ago. Do you think if I was going to have a bad effect that it would have happened by now???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 04:39 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Just took my new med for first time...

Well, one has to wait for side efffects to develop. Some people wait as long as 2 hours and 10 minutes !
    (Give it 2 weeks)

Old 05-05-2006, 04:46 AM   #3
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Well, one has to wait for side efffects to develop. Some people wait as long as 2 hours and 10 minutes !
    (Give it 2 weeks)
    It could take 2 weeks for side effects to develop??

Last night went ok. Tho I did wake in the middle of the night with a headache (still have it) and a bit of tummy ache (which is gone).

Old 05-05-2006, 05:05 AM   #4
    confused32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

confused32 HB User

I was given metoporlol about 6 years ago and i took it for about 5 years. My only issue with it was it made me tired and i gained ALOT of weight on it like 50 pounds. All i wanted to do was eat. The headache and upset tummy was probably from stressing over taking it. When i first took it i cried and told my husband at the time to watch me while i slept to make sure i was ok. I use to always take new med's before bed that way i wouldnt sit up and worry all nite and watch for side effects. I didnt have the internet back then so i wasnt able to look up all the stories about medication so i took it after only a few hours of hesitation. I think you will be fine. I definatly know how you feel though cause i dont take medication well. The doctors just tried to give me 2 different kinds of anti-depressants and i couldnt make myself take either, i guess unless i HAVE to have it for my health im not taking anything. I do take an occasional ativan but it took me weeks to end up taking it and only then the only reason i took it is cause they gave it to me in the ER and i thought if i didnt have a reaction there then i must be ok with it. I do think in the long run metoporlol did help with my anxiety over my palps, so just give it a try and see how it goes.......good luck!!!!

Old 05-05-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by confused32
    I was given metoporlol about 6 years ago and i took it for about 5 years. My only issue with it was it made me tired and i gained ALOT of weight on it like 50 pounds. All i wanted to do was eat. The headache and upset tummy was probably from stressing over taking it. When i first took it i cried and told my husband at the time to watch me while i slept to make sure i was ok. I use to always take new med's before bed that way i wouldnt sit up and worry all nite and watch for side effects. I didnt have the internet back then so i wasnt able to look up all the stories about medication so i took it after only a few hours of hesitation. I think you will be fine. I definatly know how you feel though cause i dont take medication well. The doctors just tried to give me 2 different kinds of anti-depressants and i couldnt make myself take either, i guess unless i HAVE to have it for my health im not taking anything. I do take an occasional ativan but it took me weeks to end up taking it and only then the only reason i took it is cause they gave it to me in the ER and i thought if i didnt have a reaction there then i must be ok with it. I do think in the long run metoporlol did help with my anxiety over my palps, so just give it a try and see how it goes.......good luck!!!!
    May I ask why you went off the metoprolol? I am switch on it from propranolol and was told I shouldnt notice a difference regarding weight gain, and if I did the new med would probably be better than the old one. I sure hope they are right. I went on propranolol 2 weeks before getting pregnant. I gained 70 lbs in my pregnancy!! I have lost 50 of it, but the last 20 wont budge!! The thought of possibly gaining more is a horrid thought. I would go back on the propranolol if that happened. With the fatigue, there is no possible way I could be MORE tired than I was before anyway. I was taking propranolol 4 times a day, klonopin twice a day, and zyrtec once a day LOL. People are surprised I was not in a coma LOL!!!

We sound a lot alike. I also asked my husband to pay attention, of course he fell sound asleep 10mins later...jerk I always dread taking something new. Espeically a heart med!!

Thanks for your response!!

Old 05-05-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
    penk
    (female)

penk HB User

Cheers, I'm so proud of you!!
    Hang in there girl and keep bringing us good reports about your new medicine. We are cheering you on. Penk

Old 05-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
    seaecho
    (female)

seaecho HB User

Taking new medications (ever since I had a bad reaction to antidepressants) has scared me to death. Its all I can do just to take a new antibiotic! So I'm a serious med phobe. I know what its like. I'm on Inderal and Xanax, and have never had a single side effect from either one of them. But I'm familiar with them and know what to expect. If I were given a new heart medication, I'd be so terrified that I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at all - that's how bad I am about it. I'd probably give MYSELF a panic attack, and then think it was the drug. I never, ever read the inserts you get with prescription meds anymore. They scare me to death. So you aren't alone.

Randi

Old 05-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
    seaecho
    (female)

seaecho HB User

Forgot to mention - if you don't have any side effects within an hour or two, mostly like you won't. Not a guarantee, but its usually the case. Once I had an itchy rash all over me (not hives, just a red rash) and went to the doctor. I'd been on Inderal for two weeks, and he said it couldn't be the Inderal, since I'd already been on it two weeks, and something would have happened before then if I was allergic. ANY medication can cause a rash or other side effects, but you can usually consider yourself safe if nothing happens within a few hours of taking it. At least, nothing serious or life threatening.

Randi

Old 05-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Thank you very much. The Inderal was pretty good to me minus the exercise induced asthma and EXTREME fatigue. I am hoping this works out better. So far I have had some minor side effects, but not the ones I was fearing. I do hope these go away once I get used to it tho (nausea, tummy cramps, sore throat, and fatigue).

Can I ask if weight gain was an issue for you with Inderal?

I am beginning to realize it may have contributed to my 70lb weight gain during my pregnancy (started the med 2 weeks prior to getting preggo). And I worry this drug may be even worse. I HAVE to lose these last 20 lbs or I will be very unhappy!!

Old 05-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
    ITrustMySoulNYC

ITrustMySoulNYC HB User

Yes, it can take weeks to feel side effects. It takes a while for chemicals to get adjusted to your system. When I went on meds my doctor said it may take 6-8 weeks.... so, one hour may not be long enough (But I hope you have no bad side effects!! )

Old 05-08-2006, 04:14 AM   #11
    ediot
    (male)

ediot HB User

Don't fret. If you have'nt experienced anything horrible, you most likely won't. You may be dealing with some trivial side effects which are common. I have been taking Toprol XL for about 3 weeks now. The first 3 days I could not sleep. AT ALL! Funny how the bottle says may cause drowsiness. Really? Well now all seems fine. It is strange though getting through the day without gasping for air. LOL. It seems to me that you may be, no offense to anyone, like most of us. We read everything about everything. TOO much information. Then we expect the worst. Good luck with the meds. Sleep tight.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:18 AM   #12
    ediot
    (male)

ediot HB User

What are the possible side effects of metoprolol?
    If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking metoprolol and contact your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment:
    an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; hives);
    wheezing or shortness of breath;
    an unusually slow or irregular heartbeat;
    swelling of the feet and lower legs;
    leg pain or cramping;
    sudden weight gain (more than 2 pounds in one day or 5 pounds in one week);
    chest (heart) pain;
    unusually cold or blue feet and hands; or
    skin rash.
    If you experience any of the following less serious side effects, continue taking metoprolol and talk to your doctor:
    fatigue or confusion;
    headache or dizziness;
    weak pulse or mildly slow heart rate;
    diarrhea, constipation, gas, nausea, or vomiting;
    depression; or
    nightmares.
    Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:46 AM   #13
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

The past 4 days I have been weaning from the propranolol to the metoprolol. I take my 2 (20 mg) early doses (7am and 12pm) of propranolol and take 50mg of metoprolol at 8pm. Today I start with JUST the metoprolol (7am and 7pm).

My side effects the past four days have been:

nausea, tummy pain (cramps), constipation, sore throat, off and on dull headache, fatigue, dreams are less vivid/real and more strange and stupid (pretty mad if my cool dreams are gone now..I really enjoyed my sleep life!!), and back and chest muscle ache.

I also take klonopin and xyrtec so that likely helps me sleep as well.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #14
    seaecho
    (female)

seaecho HB User

No, I didn't notice that the Inderal caused weight gain. If it did, it was gradual. I was in my 40s when I started Inderal (I'm 50 now) and some weight gain is natural when you near menopause. I was also eating lots of junk. I did gain weight, but can't say it was caused by the Inderal. I've lost it now through diet and exercise, and am still on Inderal, so I guess if you just sit around, don't exercise, and eat junk, then yes. . . maybe you would gain weight. But if you eat right and exercise daily I wouldn't worry about gaining weight. But then everyone is different. . .

Closed Thread