It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Cardiolite Test

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
    soutland
    (female)

soutland HB User
    Cardiolite Test

I had a cardiolite stess test done on Mon. After the first injection, I almost passed out on the treadmill, I couldn't feel arms and legs couldn't respond to the nurse vocally, they gave me an injection and I was ok in about 5 min. The nurse told me some people do that, so they proceeded with the test using dopamine till HR was 142 at which point I had the same reaction. Another injection and things got ok. They put me in a machine twice I was told was taking nuclear pictures. So was that a nuclear stress test?? I am 53 yr old female. I had a heart attack in 98 another one in 2002 and a single LAD bypass in 02. I have continous problems, but can't seem to get it figured out what is the cause. These are vessel spasms and I have major
    digestive problems that are causing spasms. The nurse called this morning with the results said there are two areas of damage on my heart but they "think" they are old areas - I had this same stress test done 1 yr ago at the same heart center. The nurse told me to just continue to take the meds I'm on and come back in 6 months. I take metoprol 25 mg 2 x a day. My BP
    has stayed at 150/ 98 with pulse at 80- 100 for the last six months. So I'm confused, shouldn't they be able to compare the two tests and determine if this heart damage was there last year? I never received any results from the first test, I tried but never got answers and finally gave up. I continue to have "episodes" and have gone to ER but was yelled at when EKG was normal (always has been even thought both heart attacks) and troponin levels were normal at ER. The digestive problems are causing very similar symptoms and I honestly can't tell what is causing what. I see GI doc and he tells me it's "probably" my heart and I can't get the cardio doc to stay in the room long enough to talk to me about the digestive stuff. I'm going to go see my PCP and " carefully" try to ask and see if she is willing to investigate and get answers. I'm really frustrated. Any advice is welcome.
    I just read about the fatigue level with beta blockers here -- I had no idea and I've been complaining about that since 02. I don't know where to go from here. But after some allergy testing 2 yrs ago and elimation diets I know some of the foods will cause an epsiode.

Last edited by soutland; 05-04-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Cardiolite Test

soutland,
    First off the metoprolol: it isn't doing the job and if it is also making you fatigued, it's time for a different med.
    Yes, they should be able to compare the old results to the new but alas doctors aren't paid to look at old records (or so they think), so a sloppy lazy doctor won't or perhaps he has even neglected to save the old results or even to document them.

Having both GERD and heart problems makes differential diagnosis of pain difficult...you never know what is hurting when. My mom went through the same thing for years.

Why precisely did you get this new test done? It has seemingly shed NO new light on any of your problems?

Last edited by Lenin; 05-05-2006 at 04:21 AM.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

QUOTE:My BP has stayed at 150/ 98 with pulse at 80- 100 for the last six months. So I'm confused, shouldn't they be able to compare the two tests and determine if this heart damage was there last year? I never received any results from the first test, I tried but never got answers and finally gave up. I continue to have "episodes" and have gone to ER but was yelled at when EKG was normal (always has been even thought both heart attacks) and troponin levels were normal at ER.

Hi soutland,

If there is heart damage the EKG will distinquish damaged tissue from normal by a failure of electric current to pass or require a higher voltage (amplitude is graphed on the verticle axis). So there is some miscomunication regarding a damaged heart and a normal EKG.

Troponin is a biomarker in the blood that is high during an acute heart attack. It returns to normal after a couple of days. You can be having your symptoms without having a heart attack.

Yes, a comparison of your two stress tests (according to your post) should indicate your EF (fraction of blood pumped with each heartbeat). If you have a damaged heart, the compared EF measurements will determine the degree of impairment and any progression. Your EF will probably be below 30%. And a low EF can cause a digestive problem and fatgue.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
    soutland
    (female)

soutland HB User

I had this latest test because I continue to have chest pain so the cardio
    doc scheduled it. I have been "worked up" by 4 different GI clinics, the tests they have run say I have hyper-tensive esophagus, esophagual spasms, gastritis, ulcers,either colititis or Crohns(they aren't sure they say) Gerd. I have food allergies/food sensitivities. So the problem is to try and figure out what is causing what. The 2 heart attacks, my troponins got very high, which is why they decided to call them MI's. I guess I'm just trying to figure out is what I can do to avoid another attack. I have very high CRP levels, sed rate is very high, and RA factor, so I have lots of inflammation, but I've gone to 4 different rhuematologists who tell me I have poly-inflammatory arthritis don't prescribe any treatment and then tell me "there's no need for me to come back". I'm just real frustrated with this. I was told by one doctor that it could take up to 24 hours for the troponin levels to escalate, so there is a possibility I could be having a heart attack at the time, but get sent home because the troponins were not high. So are there other things that can cause damage to my heart? I can't seem to get any answers to my questions from these doctors. My PCP's answer to the high blood pressure is to increase my bp meds from 50 a day to 100 a day, which made it almost impossible for me to stay awake. My anxiety level has gotten higher, so now I can't get taken seriously, I just get told to "calm down".

Old 05-07-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

soutland,

I'd love to able to help but frankly your situation overwhelms me. I don't know how quite to get a handle on your situation because there's too much going on at one time.

All I can say is to try to isolate or compartmentalize your problems if possible. Having troops and troops of doctors giving competeing views of heart disease, heart attacks, GERD, Crohn's, allergies and hypertension presents a picture that is staggering and at the same time almost useless.

Perhaps a start might be to check for Helicobacter and if present, cure it. If not then get on Pepcid or some other acid blocker and get rid of any GERD symptoms.
    Your BP stinks so get on a different med for it...a calcium channel blocker perhaps, or an ACE inhibitor.

DON'T let the jackasses talk to you like that in an E/R...fight back.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
    soutland
    (female)

soutland HB User

This is exactly the problem, there are so many different things going on. I am overwhelmed. I have narrowed down so much in the last 4 yrs. I've been tested for H Plyori, had it, been treated for it twice. I keep trying to find a PCP that is willing to oversee the whole thing, no luck so far. In the ER when I tried to protest the treatment, they told me "You don't have to come back here you know". I guess the hardest thing I've had to learn that even with very clear results on tests, procedures etc. that doesn't mean anything.
    After 3 days of high troponin levels one cardiac doc told me "the lab MUST of made a mistake". Thanks for trying anyway.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
    seaecho
    (female)

seaecho HB User

Just wanted to say that even though I don't know squat about most of what you are facing, I do so empathize with you. It must be extremely frustrating to be feeling like you are getting nowhere. But its true - you DO need to take charge of your own healthcare. If you don't, no one will. You need to be assertive and TELL the doctors you need some answers. Maybe it would be better when you see your PCP that you make TWO different appointments. All your problems might be overwhelming if you bring them all up on the same visit. Know what I mean? Bring up two or three things in one visit, and save the rest for another visit the following week, or whatever. That way the doctor will have more of a chance to give you the extra time needed for each affliction that needs addressing. Bring a notepad and pencil to jot things the doctor says down, so you don't forget. When you're stressed out and anxious, you forget things very easily. This is why I bring my husband along to all my appointments. Between the two of us, we usually remember most of what was said. Just an idea.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:03 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

On the Helicobacter, USUALLY being cured once gives immunity to a second infection. Make absolutely SURE that the second time arround effected a cure, because the first clearly didn't.
    If you STILL have it, make sure you use a completely different drug regimen (like 4 potent antibiotics) and be sure an expert gastroenterologist presides over the treatment.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
    soutland
    (female)

soutland HB User

I was diagnosed by endoscope biopsy in 02 and was treated then, that GI doc told me no follow-up was needed. In 03 I went to a different GI doc (who was very highly regarded by most of the doctors I saw here) and he was doing endoscopies every 6 weeks due to ulcers and gastritis, he also treated me for H Plyori found in biopsies. After 6 months this GI doc told me he could not figure out what the problem was with me and told me to go to Mayo clinic. I live on disability and going to Mayo clinic is not an option.
    Then a PCP I was seeing at the time did blood work that showed I still had H Plyori and wanted to treat me again. These treatments make me pretty sick. I talked to a new PCP and was told that once you have an H Plyori infection there is a possibility it will contine to show positive in your blood and seemed pretty frustrated that the other doctor didn't "know" this. She recommended no treatment at the time. I waited another 4 months and went to another GI doc (again highly recommended) who concentrated on the lower half of the digestive system and found some (to me) serious problems. During all of this I went back to my allergy doc,got retested and results showed reactions to beef, dairy, shellfish, peanuts, chocolate along with the dust, weeds, trees, etc. So I asked GI doc about possibilty of food issues and he laughed at me. I stopped eating all of those foods I was aware of and immediately the chest pain, spasms, nausea got better. I have accidently ingested foods that have caused an "episode" so there must be more I haven't figured out yet. The allergy doc refuses to see anymore because he states I owe him money. I have medicare and Medicaid, he has collected from both of them and is billing me above that. The cardiac doc doesn't want to discuss any of this with me, "those tests are famous for false positives". The bottom line is I'm trying to figure out how to protect my heart from further damage. I have tried to approach the doctors in lots of different ways, but I'm not getting anywhere. I don't have a husband or family to take with me. I'm sorry this is so long. I do appreciate the feed back.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

On the H.pylorii again. After being cured the ANTIBODIES to H, plyorii remain in the blood (although a skilled practitioner can still make something of their level.) Thus a blood test will always show this "false positive" for some time. HOWEVER, if helicobacter is found on a gastric biopsy, then what they are seeing is the BACTERIA and thus an active infection.
    If the second guy found the presence of H.pylorii you still have it, and the THIRD doctor who said don't worry about it is the incompetent one.

Any "allergist" who finds a cornucopia like this:
    Quote:
    reactions to beef, dairy, shellfish, peanuts, chocolate along with the dust, weeds, trees, etc.
    should be viewed with suspicion as your GI clearly does.
    Most often "doctors" who come up with laundry lists like this aren't doctors at all but self styled "nutritionists" or "allergists" or "wholistic practioners."

Ignoring the helicobacter infection is akin to a man with one leg complaining that he is having trouble walking and having a doctor tell him that he should cut out dairy!

Something practical to do until you get the H.pylorii stamped out is to take a daily proton pump inhibitor (prilosec, aciphex, prevacid) or the cheaper acid blocker ranitidine (Zantac.) They aren't cures but they will allow your "gastrics" to heal! Then you can tell if it's your heart or your stomach that's acting up.
    You know, a high fiber diet will go a long way towards ameliorating the symptoms of that entire list of possible gastic diseases that they are "maybeing." Something like a daily bean or pea soup and a morning dose of psyllium and a bowl of oatmeal. Anyone with colitis of any kind should also consider dropping any unfermented milk products from his diet...or using Lactaid <yeccch.>

It's awful that we have to be constrained by the "how much does it cost" barrier. That's the dreadful U.S.health system in operation: you get the care that you can pay for.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-11-2006 at 05:37 AM.

Closed Thread