It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• pvc's and cant relax or focus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
    Kimah5202
    Inactive
    (female)

Kimah5202 HB User
    Angry pvc's and cant relax or focus

when im having lots of pvc;s i get like a brain fog. i cant relax it feels like my body whole body is buzzing. i cant focus or concentrate on anything either. when im having conversations when im having a bad day i often lose my train of thought or the wrong word comes out of my mouth and i have to correct myself...(i know really weird). more than anything i feel like the only time i feel OK is when i have a couple drinks or take some valium. right now the only med im taking is Halcion(triazalam) for sleep. this could possibly be caused from my VERY low blood pressure too but then why would things that LOWER your blood pressure make me feel so much better?(then again BB make me feel like crap) i dont have regular medical care....as of right now im unisured. so i cant get anything for anxiety. the sleep med rx is is left over from a few monthes ago when i didnt really need it. i really hate this. why can i go monthes of feeling ok then monthes of feeling like im dieing. im always having the same number of pvc;s just they cause more symptoms when i feel like crap, like sometimes i feel light headed with every pvc i get. they are so strong i can feel it in my eyes. and they're still benign? i dont get it. (ive told my docs all my symptoms and they think im just fine, they said they can give me another ablation to cure the pvc;s if i wanted but they thought the best option was to ignore it and go on with my life....easy for them to say. anyways from what ive read its not a good idea cus its most often not succesful.)
    kim
    sorry for the long rambling and venting....im having a really bad day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
    moesciphish
    (male)

moesciphish HB User
    Re: pvc's and cant relax or focus

are you talking about PVC's or palps? Palps to some are missed heart beats, PVC's.. where the atria or ventrical contracts prematurely and it feels like a missed beat because of it... to me it feels like a "flop"... others define palps as feeling your heart beat or a racing heart beat... or maybe I'm confused...

Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
    Kimah5202
    Inactive
    (female)

Kimah5202 HB User

im talking about pvc's. 3000 a day on my last holter. and one 3 beat vtach

Old 05-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
    penk
    (female)

penk HB User

Hi Kimah, if you are worried or afraid about your PVC's it can cause a greater awareness of your heart beat and in turn cause you to have even more PVC's.....creating anxiety, a vicious cycle.
    My doctor says PVC's are harmless (if you have a normal, healthy heart) and it shouldn't affect how you feel or affect cognitive abilities, speech, etc... But if you read in previous posts about symptoms others are having with their PVC's, you can see that this is not true and it can be debilitating. I have these blasted things.....on my 24 hour holter about 8 years ago I had over 14,000 PVC's, v-tach, atrial tach, couplets, bigeminy, trigeminy, you name it. I don't have a healthy heart so it is dangerous for me, I have a pacemaker/defibrillator. In addition to all this, my cardiologist treated my PVC's, etc..... with 900 mg of Mexiletine per day. It has done wonders for my PVC's. I'm not having as many, but I still have them.
    I don't know why doctor's don't acknowledge these symptoms as being a real problem for some people. Everyone is different and why they try to put everyone in the same box is beyond me. If this is really a problem for you, and based on your post, it is, I would find a cardiologist who will listen to you and treat you as an individual and help you. I don't know how many PVC's I have now, probably I average 2 -3 a minute and then other times: after a meal, lying down, or sitting down I have noticed more frequent...like every other beat and then eventually it clears up. I pace out of the rhythm.
    I can relate to you about not saying the right words when talking (embarrassing!) in fact, I write better than I talk! I understand about not being able to consentrate at times.....it's hard for me to finish reading a book, for example. I'm on a lot of heart meds, so that could also be the culprit. Don't give up seeking treatment for these pesty PVC's if they bother you. Hope this helps. Penk

Old 05-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
    Kimah5202
    Inactive
    (female)

Kimah5202 HB User

penk, did you have healthy heart 8 yrs ago when the holter showed 14,000? do you think your pvc's came before the CHF(if thats what u have im not sure) do you think the pvc;s contributed to it at all? i know that is the worse case scenario with pvc;s it is possible if you have enough to get CHF from it and in that case my doc said i would need another ablation. its tempting for me to consider the ablation because my doc said mine werent multifocal pvc;s whatever that mean so its the easiest to ablate but he still would rather me just live with them.
    kim

Old 05-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
    tomh
    (male)

tomh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by penk
    if you are worried or afraid about your PVC's it can cause a greater awareness of your heart beat and in turn cause you to have even more PVC's.....creating anxiety, a vicious cycle.
    Can I hear a big AMEN to that?

My PVC's started out of nowhere.....5 years after valve replacement....1 year after running 2 marathons. They scared the bejeebers out of me. The more that I focused on them...counting them, etc, the worse they seemed to get.

I did a 24 hour holter. The cardiologist said not to worrry about them....benign....no limitations. I try hard to ignore them. Easier said than done, but gets better with practice. So when I have good days, is it because they are reduced, or did I win the mind game those days? I guess it doesn't matter.

I'm fortunate not to have physical limitations - exercise is a good distractor and stress reliever.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
    penk
    (female)

penk HB User

The very first indication that I had heart problems began 1988 with an episode of SCD (sudden cardiac death), then about 3-4 years later I was having tons of PVC's....really bad and nothing was done to correct them, then 6 years later my heart started weakening and enlarging, and was put on anti-arrhythmia medication and heart failure meds.

I was told my cardiomyopathy began in '88....the marker of the disease was the initial SCD episode, and since I survived it, as of about 8 yrs ago I began dealing with a weakening heart and symptoms of heart failure.

It is so perplexing, I don't know if the PVC's caused the cardiomyopathy or not. My dad died of a heart related condition at age 27....he was already gone when they found him. My drs believe I inheretid this from him.

I was told they could only help my PVC's through medication. I don't think I'm a candidate for ablation for some reason. I remember being told that by my doctors, but can't remember why.

Last edited by penk; 05-14-2006 at 06:41 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

I have written on this board before but we now have all my husbands results in. His PVC's started after Chemo and we were very concerned. he had a chemical stress test and then a cardic cath,an ECG and a holtar monitar.His heart doc said that he has good arteries and his heart looks great but the monitar showed that he had within 24 hours 2500 episodes with 3000 pvc's in each.They are getting better with an increase of his cardizone cd and the doc said since his heart looked great not to worry and we will follow up in three months. I think this is good news.With his every three months cancer scans and now follow ups with his heart I don't which to worry about.
    Lorrie

Old 05-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
    yugokid
    Inactive
    (male)

yugokid HB User

i have about 10,000 aday with no other heart issues, iv had them for about 3 years and im on varapamil 1 time a day, it helps a bit. Nothing in my family with heart probs, im the first, i think my pvcs started with major electrolyte imbalances. Now iv heard pvc's cant cause HF or Heart Attack in a normal heart, but if you already had a heart condition it maybe bad.

Also Pecks pvc's could have been caused by her SCD episode that damaged her heart

Last edited by yugokid; 05-19-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
    Kimah5202
    Inactive
    (female)

Kimah5202 HB User

yugokid,
    i know your young like me, im dont remember exactly how old. ill be 21 in August. everyone talks about how their pvc;s only got worse as they got older its very depressing for me to hear this because these things have been so life altering for me already. i first started out with 800 a day and learned to live with that, then i started getting more and when i get more i get so anxious. i was havng 3000 a day about a yr ago. who knows what it is now. if i just woke up one day with pvc;s and was told they were benign i think i might be able to live with em, but in the back of my mind i feel like mine were maybe caused by some damage done to my heart during my ablation for psvt but i guess thats just anxiety getting the best of me. the women in my gmas family all started getting pvc;s during menopause, every other beat. but they dont feel it. some good news....i havent been taking magnesium but yesterday i was so upset cus i was having pvc;s nonstop i took 1000 mgs magnesium citrate and they stopped(when i say stopped i mean like one or two a minute, i havent been able to count my pulse for a minute without a pvc in 3 yrs) . im gunna pay way more attention to my mag, cal, and potassium intake.
    kim

Closed Thread