It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• chronic pericarditis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2006, 04:52 AM   #1
    but
    (female)

but HB User
    Exclamation chronic pericarditis

Please can anyone help me I have just been for my follow up after having had a cardiac ablation in February and the cardiologist has diagnosed me with chronic pericarditis!! Has anyone else had this problem? This on top of svpt I am unable to exercise because of pain and breathlessness so now the weight is going on which obviously doesn't help. Can anyone out there help or advise me?? I am only 30years old and it feels as if my life is at a standstill, I can't do what I want to do with my little boy and no-one seems to have answers!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: chronic pericarditis

It sounds like the doctor may have introduced an infection during the ablation, but that's only one possiblility.
    I'm assuming you have the EFFUSIVE type with slow fluid buildup.
    Diuretics should help rlieve some of the fluid pressure. Other more drasstic measures might be drainage or even removal of the pericardium (risky and life threatening.)

If unable to exercise you'll just have to cut back on your food to control your weight.

Is your doctor CERTAIN that it's chronic and not a pericarditis that might resolve ina couple weeks or months? If there's an infection involved, might not the appropriate antibiotic prove useful?

If I were you, I'd get a second opinion from someone that you have pre-researched to be an EXPERT on pericarditis diagnosis and treatment. Your current doctor seems to be inclined to a "Que sera sera" attitude about it.

But for the time being, give diuretics a try. Probably lasix is a good place to start. It will be symptomatic relief but better than nothing.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-21-2006 at 06:32 AM.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
    Kimah5202
    Inactive
    (female)

Kimah5202 HB User

im so sorry your going through this, after my ablation i too was pretty miserable because my heart was so sensitive but it did get better in time. id definitly get a second opinion if your doc isnt doing much to get things better for you.
    =[
    kim

Old 05-23-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
    but
    (female)

but HB User

Thankyou to Lenin and Kimah, I will see about getting another opinion. It is so good to hear that I am not the only one with problems but I get so depressed when a whole weekend is wasted because I can't do anything as I am in so much pain and I just have to stick it out! The worst of it is that my little boy and husband have to put up with my inability to enjoy life as I should be doing!

Closed Thread