It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• How to tell the difference between heart trouble and GERD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
    S_Samsonite
    (male)

S_Samsonite HB User
    How to tell the difference between heart trouble and GERD?

I've read that sometimes GERD has some of the same symptoms as a heart attack or heart trouble. I've had tingly finglers, chest pressure, pain in the back and jaw. But when I exercise (I run at least a mile daily) I'm not gasping for breath. I don't get dizzy or feel shortness of breath during my daily routine. My chest pressure isn't painful, just mildly irritating. One thing I don't have is heartburn very often which is a sign of having GERD. Please tell me if you've had any of these symptoms. My doctor appointment hasn't come up yet, but I'd rather not go in there blind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: How to tell the difference between heart trouble and GERD?

Samsonite,

If you run HARD and get your heart rate over 80% of maximum <80% x [220-age]> and the chest discomfort increases that POINTS TOWARDS ANGINA.
    if you take Zantac, Prilosec or antacids daily and the discomfort lessens or disappears, that points towards GERD.

If food makes the discomfort less>>>GERD.
    If a large meal and a little exertion makes it WORSE >>>ANGINA

If nitrates or beta-blockers make the discomfort go away, then it is almost assuredly ANGINA.
    GERD usually gets worse if you lie down after eating...ANGINA usually gets BETTER.

The pains ARE similar though although the similarity is that they can both feel identical to heartburn. If you don't ever feel "heartburn" than that alone points more towards angina.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

I kind of wonder the same except I dont think I have GERD.I was having random left arm pains months back they stopped and now its back.These are very small areas of either a mild sharp or burning,stinging pain.I also get numbness here and there in my left face cheek.Not at the same time.I have had an a couple EKG's,chest xray,blood tests,holter monitor,stress test with echo.All normal besides a few PVC's on the holter monitor.I do have anxiety disorder and these symptoms seem to come on mostly when I have been stressed and not getting out much.I can speed walk 2 to 3 miles almost daily and not have any trouble.Matter of fact yesturday I had these pains and the numbness in face all day long off and on UNTIL I went for my walk it all eased off during my walk and was gone after......so would this indicate that my problem is not heart related?

Old 07-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
    S_Samsonite
    (male)

S_Samsonite HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Samsonite,

If you run HARD and get your heart rate over 80% of maximum <80% x [220-age]> and the chest discomfort increases that POINTS TOWARDS ANGINA.
    That's the thing, when I run, my chest discomfort decreases to the point where I barely feel it. I notice it again as soon as I stop, but it's not as discomforting as it usually is. It get's back to that point about 15-20 minutes later, but it definately doesn't become a bigger distraction afterwards. It actually relieves it for a while.

Closed Thread