It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• My beta blocker isn't taking the pac's/pvc's away and I'm scared!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
    My beta blocker isn't taking the pac's/pvc's away and I'm scared!!!

I thought that the beta blocker was supposed to take away the pac's and pvc's? I'm freaking out right now because the last 3 days my heart has been skipping, not a lot, (maybe 6 times a day) but they are HARD skips, which take my breath away. I'm scared right now, does anyone else have this problem? Also, I have GERD, and my acid reflux has been bad too, so do you think maybe that can cause the skips? Thanks, Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User
    Re: My beta blocker isn't taking the pac's/pvc's away and I'm scared!!!

you may need a dose adjustment.. which BB are you on? i am taking atenolol 25mg once a day and it only lasts about 6hrs and i will still get some palps and such even a few hours after taking it.. but they are much less then they use to be i was getting them 20+ times a day ( the big thud ones that shock the heck out of ya) now i get little ones just off and on.. maybe 2-3 times a week max and at rare times some big ones..

i have been thinking i may need just a tad more of the med to totally stop them ( like maybe another 1/2 a pill later in the day to keep an active level in my system) so i am going to talk to my cardio dr next visit about this and see what he thinks..

Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

I thought Atenolol lasted 12 hours,? I am on Inderal 20mg, the short acting, so I take it every 8 hours, sometimes earlier sometimes later. Since it is only day 10, we are still seeing what dosage and how often. I don't mind having little skips that I don't feel as much, but the last couple days were BIG HARD ones, and they literally take my breath away and I feel like the heart had stopped. This makes me in an anxious mood all day long, waiting for another one. I will call the Dr. tomorrow and ask if I need to adjust the dosage. Thanks for letting me know your situation, Michelle

Old 11-03-2006, 04:36 AM   #4
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

Hey guys,

I am on Diliatzem 180 in the AM and Atenolol 20mg at night and haven't had one since August. I also take xanax when needed and see a therapist that I believe has helped even more. I went 5 years with no SVTs quit smoking, and bought a new house and wammo, the SVTs came back. Was on Diliatzem and Atenolol for 6 months and had about 4 big episodes where the rapid beats would not stop. I was able to stop them evidentially, but after a trip to the ER and they gave me 2 mg of xanax, they went away.
    I don't take xanax on a regular basis now, but its nice to have just in case. I think that stress and anxiety definately do play a part in SVTs. I have been reading a lot more of people who think so also. But you know them docs, they want to give you meds for everything. And I was also on meds for GERD as well, but haven't had to take one of those in at least a month.

good luck,
    lyl

Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi Michelle. I NEVER had skips until I started taking a beta blocker. And now that I think about it, when I was on inderal I had skips too. And yes, they take my breath away too. I do notice them more when my acid reflux acts up. I take Prilosec OTC for that.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
    emilycaitlin
    (female)

emilycaitlin HB User

Hi Michelle,

I don't know anything about the meds you're on, I always took Toprol xl for mine, but I remember sometimes 1/2 wouldn't work and I'd have to take the whole pill. I know those strange beats that come out of the blue when you least expect are very scary, I used to have them constantly, now just 2 or 3 x a day but they aren't nearly as bad. I would feel like my heart had completely rolled over and forgotten how to beat the right way. You are on the right track, just keep working with your cardiologist and they will find the most effective medication and dose for you.

Has your dr mentioned the ablation procedure to you? Mine tried to get me to have it but I took the meds for awhile and after 6mos had significant improvement. Wanted to say best of luck to you and I hope you feel better soon em

Old 11-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
    nuttygirl
    Veteran
    (female)

nuttygirl HB User

Wait a minute......I'm on atenolol 25mg once daily and my doctor told me it's a once a day med. She did say however that it doesn't actually last 24 hours but is prescribed as once daily for most people. Hmmmmm.........anyway, I still get skips everyday and once in a while a fluttery feeling. Sometimes hard thump, mostly not. Call your doctor and see what she thinks. My cardio said BB don't completely stop pvc or pac in most people but should reduce them.
    I know it's scary, scares me every time but I try to redirect my thinking and thank goodness for xanax!!

Take Care,
    Tori

Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Hi guys! Thanks so much for your inputs. I am doing much better today. My anxiety got the better of me last night. I have actually stayed away from the boards to keep my mind off it, (had a pep talk from mnmnmn on here and really helped me) and was doing really well, until the dumb skips. My Dr. friend called me today, I asked him to double check the test results to make sure I really had SVT, and he had them rechecked by a Cardio, and yes I have it. Ok, so I am going to live with this. I read my replies that I wrote last week and couldn't believe how worked up I can get myself. I know this is a slow road for me, having to deal with my heart issues and my really bad anxiety as well, but it's part of life and I have to come to terms. I don't handle bad or even negative news. I know many people can live with SVT, and many that can't. Time will tell with me. And, my Dr. friend ABSOLUTELY believes my SVT is mostly, not always, but mostly brought on by my stress, so working on that one as well.

Tori and Leela, missed talking to you guys, thanks for letting me know that you still get them on your bb. How have you been? Yes, thank God for Xanax, haha. Like I said, slowly learning that I'm OK!! At least I can now laugh about this at times. I have really bad acid reflux right now too, so could be contributing. Who knows. I wish we could give our emails out so we can keep in touch more. I like talking to you guys.

emilycaitlin - Hi there. Are you still on Tropol, or did you get off now? I think you mentioned to me before that you have SVT. Yes, my Dr. did right off the bat talk to me about going and getting an ablation, but when she talked to a Cardiologist to send me over, they told her that they always try medications as first line defense. (Unless of course, one is the ER over and over.) But after talking to the Cardio, she wants to try meds first, and so here I am. I would love to hear your history of your SVT, what brought it on, how bad it was and what your doing differently now. By the way, I am only having about 5-10 skips a day, which didn't bother me, except they are hard, and I was just under the impression that they were supposed to go away, but now I know different. Take Care, Michelle

Old 11-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
    emilycaitlin
    (female)

emilycaitlin HB User

Hi Michelle,

So glad you are feeling better today. It's easy to get worked up over the svt, especially when you've just been diagnosed, I used to sit and worry about even going to sleep at night for fear I wouldn't wake up.

I don't mind at all sharing my history with you, it has been positive so far so maybe it will help. 3yrs ago I went to the dr for allergies or something minor and the nurse called back and said he had noticed a pattern of my hr being way too high and wanted me to have an ekg. I was going on vacation but said I would come have one after the trip. I remember carrying my luggage across a parking lot in the heat and my heart started beating so fast from the exertion but even a few hrs later after I rested it would not slow down. We were on a cruise and I never mentioned to DH any of this (didn't want to ruin the trip) but the whole time my heart would start having strange beats and then stay way too fast for a long time. The irregular beating scared me alot more than the fast rate. I seriously thought I would die on that boat.

We got home and I went the next day and had the ekg run which said sinus tach and possible atrial abnormality. I had a holter and the dr said simply-well you didn't pass-he said I had lots of aps and svt, they had one episode on there that my hr was over 180 for 4hrs, he put me on toprol xl, referred me to a cardio, and recommended ablation. I had a few more tests and the cardiiologist agreed but the toprol was working so well for me we decided to wait and see before having the ablation. I was terrified of having anything touching my heart, lol. It was a long 6mos and if I had it to do over again might would have done the ablation, for a while I couldn't do anything without getting an svt attack, even things like drying my hair would shoot my hr up past 150 and it would have all those strange beats too. I could tell each week though, it was a little less severe and knew whatever it was was getting better. I don't take toprol regularly but keep it here at the house and take it if I can't sleep due to fast hr or if it won't slow on it's own after several hrs.

The dr did say to go to the er if it ever got to 200 or above, he also told me I didn't do anything to cause it, it would have happened no matter what and it can improve, or get worse, with time, you just never know. I am wanting to have kids and he said that's fine too, I was worried they would say not to.
    I do feel alot better now, still have strange beating and flopping feeling in my heart some, and it still gets very fast but not nearly as severe as when I was 1st diagnosed. I've never known anyone who had svt until finding this board. I hope they can get things worked out with your meds and that you improve. I know how it feels not knowing when to expect those strange beats and what will happen. Keep posting and let me know how you're doing. Best of luck to you. em

Closed Thread