It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Heart Cath Good - How Long?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
    Modularman
    (male)

Modularman HB User
    Heart Cath Good - How Long?

I had a heart cath about 11 years ago. The doctor said I had the heart of a 20 year old. I was 50 then. I am now 60. Does anyone think a great result like that is most likely still good today? I dont smoke or drink. Have high bp and am on atenolol. What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Heart Cath Good - How Long?

Modular,

I think you are probably still fine unless you have been running high blood lipids for the last 11 years.
    How are your cholesterol numbers?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
    Modularman
    (male)

Modularman HB User

Lenin, I dont know what my numbers are for that, I have not been to the doctor for a few years, He said they were ok back then. I think he said 200 or something. Dont mean to sound stupid. I worry all the time about having the big one some day. It ruins my life. Thanks

Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User

There is no way to know without going to the doctor. They aren't going to do a catheterization just for the heck of it. They'll want to do blood work, an EKG, a chest x-ray, and a stress test...they won't do a cardiac cath unless the stress test shows a possible blockage (or at least no cardiologist worth anything will).

How do you get your Rx for atenolol without going to the doctor at least once per year??

Old 11-16-2006, 05:26 AM   #5
    Modularman
    (male)

Modularman HB User

Well I do show up to the Doctors just to get bp taken and get a new prescription. When I had the heart cath, the nurse in the Dr. office did an ekg and the Dr. sent me to the hospital in an ambulance. The hospital did all kinds of things, blood, ekg, urine, the usual stuff and said they wanted to schedule a heart cath the next day. They did that and said I had the heart of a 20 year old and not to worry about it, and sent me home. I asked my Dr. why I spent over $6,000 at the time for nothing and he said well we dont know what it was, maybe anxiety or spasms or something. I dont know to this day, why they did the heart cath. Now Im avoiding the Dr. office cuz I dont know who to trust anymore. I just get by. Thanks for you comments. Any more comments would be welcome.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User

If it's causing you anxiety that you can't live with, I'd certainly consider going to the doctor and asking for a nuclear stress test...I think it's recommended about every 10 years, especially once one is your age. It can be very expensive, however, so if you don't have health insurance that will cover it....at the very least, I'd get my lipids checked and an EKG.

Closed Thread