It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Is this really bradycardia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
    pa235
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
    Is this really bradycardia?

My sitting and relaxing pulse rate is usually in the mid 50's, laying down in the high 40's. I am not active being a 65 year old female but not a couch potato. When I go to the Dr. my rate s normally 68-80.

I do have moderate mitral reguratation and get a Echo every year, the report says sinus rhytmn but no other remarks. I have a heart murmur but was born with it.

I do feel palps on and on but seem to be in the abdomin,I have IBS and Fibromyalgia.

I have been reading a lot about bradycardia and it has me wondering, everything I read says a rate under 60. I have no symtons that are described for this condition.

My only meds are a anti-anxiety med, 81 mgs.aspirin daily and foltx. My rate has been like this for as long as I know, at least 15 years I remember mentioning this to my old Dr. who said that was fine. Had several ekg's done due to costocondritis pain and no one ever mentioned bradycardia to me.

Thanks, Linda

Fibromyalgia
    Myofascal pain syndrome
    Costochondritis
    Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User
    Re: Is this really bradycardia?

If you're on Xanax, for instance...for anxiety..it COULD lower your resting pulse a little. Per my cardiologist. I take 1mg..xanax a day for the PVC's. ( I Know..it will not stop them, but it sure helps my state of mind!!) I usually have a resting HR of 60 or 62. But recently, it has gone to 50 at times. I feel fine and it's always at rest. It just scared me that it was that low. Cardiologist says not to worry. I am on a beta blocker also.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
    pa235
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red face Re: Is this really bradycardia?

Thanks for the reponse, I never thought about the meds affecting your b/p and pulse rate. I take serax which is a anti-anxiety, bet without it i would be posting about a high pulse rate.

My husband had a heart attack and by-pass 4 months ago and is on two b/p meds and the Dr. told him to watch his pulse rate, they do not want it under 60.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
    Myofascal pain syndrome
    Costochondritis

Old 11-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pa235
    Thanks for the reponse, I never thought about the meds affecting your b/p and pulse rate. I take serax which is a anti-anxiety, bet without it i would be posting about a high pulse rate.

My husband had a heart attack and by-pass 4 months ago and is on two b/p meds and the Dr. told him to watch his pulse rate, they do not want it under 60.

Linda
    Hi Linda,

I have moderate MVR, and I was told that a "slow" heart rate can be problematic with MVR...more susceptable to clots. My HR with medication is around a resting 60, and the doc doesn't want it any lower for possible clots. I assume you husband's doctor has the same concern, but probably for a different reason.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think it's perfectly fine Pa. Low heart rate becomes bothersome if it causes dizziness when standing or exhaustion when exercising.

I have a friend with a resting heart rate of 50-60 BPM and a blood pressure of something like 105/65. He's much older than I and healthy as a horse and extremely active and mentally quick. His mom had the same characteristics and made it to 100...by 5 days, alert and sharp til the last 3 days when she slipped into a coma.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-29-2006 at 11:37 AM.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Did he have MVR?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
    pa235
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks you, you two, you both are the backbone of this board and are there for everyone. I certainly appreciate your answering posts and am certain a lot of others do also.

By now you should both have your Dr.degree, lol. you probably know as much or more than them. One thing for sure you would both take time and care about your patients.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
    Myofascal pain syndrome
    Costochondritis

Closed Thread