It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• heart shocks severe palpitations, cardiologist help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User
    heart shocks severe palpitations, cardiologist help?

Im a young guy, 30, 140lbs, relatively healthy except for tha last year and a half i get these severe/extreme palpitations, they only last a beat or two, sometimes they happen 5 or 6 times a day, sometimes not for a few days.

The problem is I have had 2 nuculear stress tests, uncountable ekg's, a halter, a 30 day cardio net monitor, been to a cardiologist and all the doctors keep telling me ekg looks normal, but theyre not listening to me tell them theres something seriously wrong. They say its a "neiusance heart" or extra beat palpitations that are benign, more annoying than harmful, but every day of my life im thinking its my last and im gonna drop dead of a heart attack, they're that bad. Im gone running off to the er a few times convinced i was gonna die.

Im a tough guy, although i have been stressed ALOT the past year and a half. The palps feel almost like a shock to the heart, enough to make me gasp or recoil, but it only lasts a second then it regains its normal beat, making me feel IMMEDIATELY weak and tired wanting to go home and sleep, from work or wherever i was at the time.

I have 2 questions, they r telling me there is no damage, but whatever this is can not be good long term and its not showing any signs of getting better. I have relatively good genes, some probs on my moms side, both her parents r dead but one was an alcoholic and smoked and grandpa lived 2 b at least 75, other side both gparents r doing fine, both still living on their own at around 85 years old and walking.

Ive always been relatively healthy, dont smoke, rarely drink, but i did have a breif bout with the drug ecstacy (4 times) and it never really did anything too bad to me. But anyway, despite what i may have caused it im more concerned with how to fix it. But with a heart problem its not like i can go about with physical activity, these palps never show up when the monitor is on.

I have a question though, if there is some kind of undetectable damage to my heart is it better to exercise it to heal itself or make it healthier?

please help, i feel like im living my last days. If you can help please reply or do a search for a few of my other posts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
    Heartzexplode
    (male)

Heartzexplode HB User
    Re: heart shocks severe palpitations, cardiologist help?

I have been going through something like this for the past two years, and the only thing i can offer you is that you are not going to drop dead. I think the idea is to try and overcome the anxiety and stress, and try not to let a minor problem take over your life, as i did with mine. GL

Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

tailz,

Go to the health food store and buy some magnesium oxide, 250 mg. Take one in the morning and one at night and see if they quickly decrease the number or eliminate these palpitations altogether.
    It sometimes works miracles.

Yes,
    Continue exercising.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User

Wow, thanks hopefully that will work. Is it ok to mix with atenolol and lorazepam? I probably should exercise more, but time is hard. Im in good physical shape, but unfortunately i have a desk job

Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
    enie
    (female)

enie HB User

thegreat
    I have had the same problem for many years. The sudden sock in the chest just like a shock treatment and then the extreme weakness afterward. And the same as you, Doctors never found anything wrong. Cutting out caffeine and avoiding hard manual labor helped a little. All my tests always said everything was normal, (even after my heart attacks things read normal for years).
    25 years later a Neurologist said that the blackout spells I had started having was my heart. So after a 30 day monitor they found that my heart was stopping and gave me a pacemaker. It didn't stop the pain, but at least I don't drop dead. I also have a lot of other heart problems and damage as a result of old heart attacks but at least when it happens now, I know what it is.
    enie

Old 12-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

My advice is to get a blood test before self medicating. I say that because you are on a regimen and have introduced yourself to ecstacy. You wiill want to rule any electrolytic imbalance. Electrolytes in the blood are sodium, potassium, calcium, magnessium and a few others but irrelevant.

A very low potassium level can cause an abnormal heart rhythm. Some medication, drugs and interaction with another electrolyte will raise or lower the level of another electrolyte. There should be a balance.

If one drinks a lot of beer there can be some dehydration effecting the electrolyte level. My nephew pitched pro baseball, and he and others drank gatorade to meet fluid demands and electrolyte sufficiency as often there is a lot of sweating in hot weather with heavy protective clothing.

Also a hyperactive thyroid can cause an arrhythmia condition.

Last edited by started04; 12-12-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:43 AM   #7
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

I already have a pacemaker. Why my heart still "Pause" for 3.2 second in the day time! Night time even worse, I suppose! I didn't know after 3.2 second was my heart kicked in or the pacer kicked in?

Pika

Old 12-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pika
    I already have a pacemaker. Why my heart still "Pause" for 3.2 second in the day time! Night time even worse, I suppose! I didn't know after 3.2 second was my heart kicked in or the pacer kicked in?

Pika
    I'm not sure your timing of a pause is correct because if there is a consistant pause every 3.0 seconds that would be a heart rate of only 20 beats per minute. That is dangerously low.

If it is actually that low your pacemaker is not providing adequate support. Or if you mean an occasional pause of 3.2 sec. it would still indicate your pacemaker device may be a problem. There shouldn't be any irregular heart rate, but an occasional long pause may not be serious.

Last edited by started04; 12-12-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:35 AM   #9
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

It is not a consistant pause. I don't know how often it happens. Some nights I woke up without a pulse then I wait for it comes. 3 times in 2 hours, then I'm going to the kitchen, toilet... I went back to bed. Sound sleep quick. Then I use to it, now it woke me up, I just turn around and went back to sleep straight away. I told my cardio, GP... No one believe me. Then I went for a holter by myself. That night didn't show up any pause. It showed at the afternoon 2:15pm. I return the holter at 2:45pm.

Few nights I experience the pulse with "Tip" but no "Dop". Then I don't know it was the "Dop" or no "Tip". Cardio said the pacer showed some skip beats. My pacer has the built in holter but it didn't record my "Pause".

Anyway, I read someone post said it pause for 8 sec then 9 sec in a row without the pacemaker. He didn't faint and not felt anything! It caught by a holter.

Pika

Old 12-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #10
    thegreattailz

thegreattailz HB User

Quote:
    thegreat
    I have had the same problem for many years. The sudden sock in the chest just like a shock treatment and then the extreme weakness afterward. And the same as you, Doctors never found anything wrong. Cutting out caffeine and avoiding hard manual labor helped a little. All my tests always said everything was normal, (even after my heart attacks things read normal for years).
    They tell me I didnt have any heart attack, and if I did they would record it, even a small one. How old r u and how long since your irst heart attack

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenkeith
    My advice is to get a blood test before self medicating. I say that because you are on a regimen and have introduced yourself to ecstacy. You wiill want to rule any electrolytic imbalance. Electrolytes in the blood are sodium, potassium, calcium, magnessium and a few others but irrelevant.

A very low potassium level can cause an abnormal heart rhythm. Some medication, drugs and interaction with another electrolyte will raise or lower the level of another electrolyte. There should be a balance.

If one drinks a lot of beer there can be some dehydration effecting the electrolyte level. My nephew pitched pro baseball, and he and others drank gatorade to meet fluid demands and electrolyte sufficiency as often there is a lot of sweating in hot weather with heavy protective clothing.

Also a hyperactive thyroid can cause an arrhythmia condition.
    So your saying I should drink gatorade? I kind of always had a serious sodium addiction, i kno it sounds weird but ive always used EXCESSIVE salt and dunno if that could be a cause or not. The problem is ive watched what i eat, caffeine, and am aware and dont use so much sodiumm but even if I fast the ehart palpitations are so random.

Whats a hyperactive thyroid?

Old 12-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
    enie
    (female)

enie HB User

Thegreat,
    You said:
    They tell me I didnít have any heart attack, and if I did they would record it, even a small one. How old r u and how long since your first heart attack

I'm 56. The painful heartbeats started about 30 years ago. I received a pacemaker 5 years ago because my heart was stopping 8 and 9 seconds in a row and would cause me to fall. They said it was stopping because my heart was beating differently at the top than the bottom chambers and it just couldn't take the strain. At least now I know why the painful heartbeats and I take Tikosyn now to help reduce them.
    I'm only guessing from how my last couple of heart attacks that I had my first heart attack probably 12 years ago. I don't know if the heart irregularities caused my heart attacks or not, but you never know.. The only way I was diagnosed to have had heart attacks was when I had exploratory open heart surgery four years ago and they saw a lot of old scare tissue and Dresslers syndrome in several areas.
    Sorry I have no good answers for you,
    enie

Old 12-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #12
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

The heart was stopping 8 and 9 seconds in a row that were you! Could I ask why you have an open heart surgery?

Pika

Old 12-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hyperactive thyroid would be a condition of excessive thyroid hormone production causing arrhythmia. The hormone control the speed of many vital functions.

Fluid loss by sweating, diuretics, etc. the levels of many electrolytes tend to become abnormal. Electrolytes as the name infers are needed and within normal levels and balanced to successfully conduct electric impulses.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
    enie
    (female)

enie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pika
    The heart was stopping 8 and 9 seconds in a row that were you! Could I ask why you have an open heart surgery?

Pika
    PICA
    To answer your question as short as I can; I had been having those painful heartbeats plus ever increasing chest pain and exhaustion for so long and all the tests always came back OK, that the PC Doctors stopped listening to me. It was my neurologist that finally sent me to the Cardiology department.
    Even after the Pacemaker was implanted, I was still having unexplained unrelenting heart distress. A Catherization only showed 40 to 60% blockages but they were completely surrounding my heart. So since I have Marfan Syndrome with a slightly enlarged Aorta, plus the surgeons’ suspicion that something was going on that the tests did not pickup, he asked to do exploratory surgery. Since I felt I wouldn't live long without intervention, I said yes. That surgery, plus my pacemaker saved my life. It still didn't stop the painful heartbeats though. Not doing strenuous exercising, eliminating caffeine and stress, taking Tikosyn, and keeping my heartbeat slow enough so that my pacemaker works all the time with a lot of medication is the only relief.
    enie

PS
    I am going to check out ‘magnesium oxide’ to see if it is OK to take with all my meds. It sounds promising.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #15
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Enie, I'm now in the same suituation as you before. My cardio said mine is anxiety, all dr said I'm anxiety. Now he said i'm depressed, all dr said I'm in depress. The second opinion cardio said I was in V-Fib that day but he wrote back the letter to my GP didn't mention that. Said my rhythm is complex so he asked me to go back with my old cardio. My heart is starting grow bigger and bigger but no one cares. I can't do my shopping or exercise. I get chest pain after a few walks, SOB and dizzy.

You been through, I'm feeling very depress, helpless and upset. Everytime I have such a sickness or pain, I cried. Although I was in shopping or driving, my tears still burst and dripped.... I know, if I took the anti-depressant drugs I'll be in bed sleepping whole day and night. No activities, no life and no tears.... Would my heart in rest and rest and rest.... forever in arrest! All my tests came back OK! You know, ECG always said abnormal it is because I got a pacemaker. My old cardio said my wpw was fixed. ER dr said it fixed too! Now the second opinion Dr said, from the ECG it didn't look likes has been fixed! Who I should believe? I wasn't on any heart medication because my cardio said I'm (my heart) is absolutely in normal. No treatment needed! Then what is that "train" and "elephant" hiding in my chest?

Sorry for that much of complaints, thanks for replying to me.

Pika

Closed Thread