It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• How soon would beta blocker help with PVC's, if it's going to help at all?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User
    How soon would beta blocker help with PVC's, if it's going to help at all?

I have several very strong PVC's and PAC's throughout the day & night.

I finally gave in & agreed to try 25 mg. atenolol. I'm on day 3 of it, it hasn't made a difference at all so far.....It's making me feel a bit woozy, and even a bit anxious - but I'm willing to stick it out for a bit to see if it helps.

I'd give almost anything to be PAC/PVC free. that's for sure.

My GP said to give it a week, but would like to hear from people who have actually tried beta blockers.

Thanks for your input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
    KGO
    (female)

KGO HB User
    Re: How soon would beta blocker help with PVC's, if it's going to help at all?

Do give it the week. About a month ago, I started on Toprol XL 25 mg and after about a week I did see an improvement, although it seems like gradually they have got increasingly back to almost like they were before. I will probably be told to increase my dose when I go back to the doctor next week. I still get the PVC's, but they were not as strong and were less noticeable. Although lately that is less true.

Give it time and good luck to you.

KG

Old 12-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
    chad341
    (male)

chad341 HB User

a here yah the med your on didnt help me at all, but the toprol xl 50mg did help me alot,but the less stressed i get that seems to help the best ive hade pvc's pac's at the age of 18 im 33 now still have them,its hell i no

Old 12-14-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User

Hey thanks for both of your responses. I'll stick it out for a week & see what happens. I also happen to have a 2 week supply of Toprol XL. My GP said he didn't think it mattered which BB I took - but I've heard more than one person say that one helped, another didn't, etc. Guess everyone is different, right?

Stupid PVC's STINK. I hate it. I wish I could just ignore them. Sometimes when I just get a mild one (prob. a PAC) it's not so bad. But then there are those super forceful, painful ones that make you dizzy & take your breath away - how the heck can we ignore that ?? Especially when they occur during a meeting, or while you are trying to do anything else in life? Sigh.

Ok, done venting!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:37 AM   #5
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Beta blockers actually made my PVCs worse, and atenolol was the worst one for me out of the three I have tried. They are different for everyone, though, so I hope it helps you!

Old 12-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
    cheer up
    (female)

cheer up HB User

I have used the 25 mg. Atenolol for arrythmia for 7 years now. One pill per day, take in the a.m.

At first, I felt weak and sick and it didn't help at all. I was in such an advanced state of anxiety that I thought I was dying. Truth is, the pills really just keep my blood pressure nice and low and also lower my heart rate (pulse) which usually ran in the 90's. Now it, too, is generally low.

STRESS AND ANXIETY MAKE THE MOST DIFFERENCE. If I am anticipating a trip, a meeting, some engagement that is making me tense, then you can be certain I will feel a lot of palps. Other times they come and go and sometimes I feel them and other times not so much. It's very important NOT to get freaked out over these things.

Often, talking to your doc is reassurance enough. And figuring out WHAT is stressing you out is key, too.

I don't mind the Atenolol, but if I were you I'd definitely give it a COUPLE of weeks before passing judgment, one way or another. OH, and if you feel yourself feeling kind of weak when sitting, lying down at first -- get up and move around. You don't want your heart rate to drop under 50. Just a little tip there...........

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheer up
    I have used the 25 mg. Atenolol for arrythmia for 7 years now. One pill per day, take in the a.m.

At first, I felt weak and sick and it didn't help at all. I was in such an advanced state of anxiety that I thought I was dying. Truth is, the pills really just keep my blood pressure nice and low and also lower my heart rate (pulse) which usually ran in the 90's. Now it, too, is generally low.

STRESS AND ANXIETY MAKE THE MOST DIFFERENCE. If I am anticipating a trip, a meeting, some engagement that is making me tense, then you can be certain I will feel a lot of palps. Other times they come and go and sometimes I feel them and other times not so much. It's very important NOT to get freaked out over these things.

Often, talking to your doc is reassurance enough. And figuring out WHAT is stressing you out is key, too.

I don't mind the Atenolol, but if I were you I'd definitely give it a COUPLE of weeks before passing judgment, one way or another. OH, and if you feel yourself feeling kind of weak when sitting, lying down at first -- get up and move around. You don't want your heart rate to drop under 50. Just a little tip there...........

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Hi Cheer,
    I just now caught up & read your response, thanks so much!

This all started when I quit smoking. One doc surmised that I was prob. having PAC's & PVC's the whole time, but that perhaps quitting smoking uncovered them & I am now just able to feel them. BLAH. To be honest, I don't think I'd have quit smoking had I known that this would happen. It's ruining my life a good part of the time.

I'll stick with the Atenolol for another week or so, like you mentioned. I've gotta have some kind of hope that something will help me.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Old 12-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #8
    adam933
    (male)

adam933 HB User

i've been on toprol xl for about 7 months now. my PVCs were really bad before i started the meds. since the meds i may feel one a day if that. the meds really seemed to help. it took about a month for the PVCs to quite down. one bad thing about the toprol is my heart rate drops down to 40 beats a minute when sleeping. that was when i was on 50mg. i am now on 100mg. might be lower now but the doctors dont seem too concerned. during the day the lowest i noticed was around 57 beats per min when sitting.
    good luck!

Last edited by adam933; 12-20-2006 at 06:27 AM.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zosolizard
    This all started when I quit smoking. One doc surmised that I was prob. having PAC's & PVC's the whole time, but that perhaps quitting smoking uncovered them & I am now just able to feel them. BLAH. To be honest, I don't think I'd have quit smoking had I known that this would happen. It's ruining my life a good part of the time.
    Hi zosolizard. I have to tell you that I have had MORE problems since I quit smoking too. I had a really high heart rate (especially in the mornings) so I was put on a beta blocker. I never felt PVCs or PACs until I started taking the beta blocker. I think we feel them more when our heart rates are lower. I had to quit taking the birth control pill back in March and shortly after that my heart rate was dropping too low, so my cardiologist cut my beta blocker dose in half. When I quit smoking my heart rate was getting really low again so I cut the dose in half again. At that point I was only taking 1.25mg of bisoprolol daily. I went to another doctor for something else and my BP was 80/60 and my heart rate was 60. He told me to stop taking the beta blocker at all. Now my heart rate is still in the 50s all day and when I do anything strenuous (like walking up stairs) it will immediately shoot up to 120. They keep telling me there is nothing wrong. I hope they're right and not missing something that is going to kill me! :-) But I'm with you...I think I would rather start smoking again than having to worry about my heart all the time. (Sounds crazy, I know.) What is your heart rate like now on the beta blocker? And what was it before you started the beta blocker? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:07 AM   #10
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leela_C
    Hi zosolizard. I have to tell you that I have had MORE problems since I quit smoking too. I had a really high heart rate (especially in the mornings) so I was put on a beta blocker. I never felt PVCs or PACs until I started taking the beta blocker. I think we feel them more when our heart rates are lower. I had to quit taking the birth control pill back in March and shortly after that my heart rate was dropping too low, so my cardiologist cut my beta blocker dose in half. When I quit smoking my heart rate was getting really low again so I cut the dose in half again. At that point I was only taking 1.25mg of bisoprolol daily. I went to another doctor for something else and my BP was 80/60 and my heart rate was 60. He told me to stop taking the beta blocker at all. Now my heart rate is still in the 50s all day and when I do anything strenuous (like walking up stairs) it will immediately shoot up to 120. They keep telling me there is nothing wrong. I hope they're right and not missing something that is going to kill me! :-) But I'm with you...I think I would rather start smoking again than having to worry about my heart all the time. (Sounds crazy, I know.) What is your heart rate like now on the beta blocker? And what was it before you started the beta blocker? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!
    Hi Leela,

Wow your story is pretty interesting. How about it - I often think I'd rather be a smelly, coughing smoker - and then if/when I got seriously ill, at least I'd know what the H*LL caused it!!

My heart scares the crap out of me! Every day. It's really hard to believe this is all BENIGN and normal.

My HR was at about 70 and BP normal (120/75). But both tend to go up & down a lot. I don't know how accurately I am taking my pulse, but I guess my HR is now around 60. I've only been on the BB for 9 days. I'm supposed to see my doctor next week to check everything.

To complicate matters, I just weaned off Xanax (which I started, and became physically dependent on - as a result of the heart problems freaking me out. Doc said "here, take these to calm down).

So I'm very confused about what feelings I'm experiencing are organic (my heart), what are side effects of the Atenolol, and what are WD's from the Xanax, which can last for a long time!!

I do think I'm feeling a bit worse since starting the atenolol though - so I may stop it now while I can & just see how things go.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
    heartriver
    Inactive
    (male)

heartriver HB User

Atenolol was very difficult for me to tolerate, had much fewer side effects with Toprol. (As a side issue, I have never quite understood why people of very different weights and sizes are usually prescribed the same dose.) All medications are essentially a chemistry experiment

Closed Thread