It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• I Had Accelerated Idio Ventricular Arrhythmia!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User
    I Had Accelerated Idio Ventricular Arrhythmia!!

Well, The arrhythmia that haas been sporadically worrying me actually happened late tonight. I was just merely sitting at my computer, got up, and was standing in my family room, when my heart went off in a fast lil rythym all it's own. I had the calmness (thank God) to stand still, not move, stay calm and press the event monitor. Welllllllllllll...this has NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE...but the tech told me to rest, take another reading in 5 minutes and they were going to call my dr. This was 11:45 pm! But I didn't care. I WANTED TO KNOW!! The Cardiologist on call called me abck within 10 minutes! Said I had a ventricular episode. I first asked her if it was a-fib or v-tach.. She said not v-tach.. but ACCELERATED IDIO VENTRICULAR TACHYCARDIA. I then asked her if I should go to the ER. She said it was not life threatening. I beg to differ!!! I woke hubb up and turned the speaker phone on so he could hear. We looke dit up on the net ( I know.. shouldn't have, but you all probably would too wouldn't you?? ha) and it says it is usually die to don't know how to spell this.. myocardial Infarction.. A HEART ATTACK!! i haven't had a H.A.!!! I again, am fearful of falling asleep, MIGHT DIE IN MY SLEEP. I have ALWAYS dealt with PVC's but why is this happening now!!?? I will tell you all that I have had some MAJOR stress that is personal in my life for about 2 yrs! I am an A-type personality.. and I stress over everything. I cannot wait to call the doc tomorrow.. or rather today..it's 2:07 central time. I am scared.. what if it happends again tonight?? What if this is preceding a heart attack?? I think it is considered this and not v-tach simply because the HR wasn't over 100.. I HAVE JUST CONVINCED MYSLEF OF THIS.. The dr,. that returned the call is not my dr. you know, I have worn these event monitors for yrs.. and this si the first time I have had atech to tell me something bad.. That it met the criteria to cal the dr. I have always had this fear of them telling me to get to an er or something. I know I'm rambling.. but I took 2 xanax.. total 1 mg. per dr. on call. I don't ever do that.. and it has made me NOT SLEEPY!! Weird. I think I am about to have to have a ton of tests. I FEAR the most an electrophisiologisy study. I know they hurt. Have a friend whose son had one and it hurt and didn't work... Please, those of yo that pray.. PRAY FOR ME. I hate to ask you al this.. But I need to know there are o9theres out there that have had this or know someone that hs. PLEASE LET ME KNOW if yo or someone you know has had this. IT FEELS WERID AS HECK ehen it happens. WHAT CAUSES IT besides h/ attack or ischemia?? and what is ischemia?? Loss of oxygen??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User
    Re: I Had Accelerated Idio Ventricular Arrhythmia!!

Been sleeping most of the day since I didn't let myself falla sleep until 4:30 am. i am so scared. Has anyone out there evre heard of this "ACCELERATED IDIO VENTRICULAR ARRHYTHMIA?" I called my dr. offce tofya early, and the nurse called back and said she would go get the strip they had faxed over and show it to him. He isn't in the office to day, but he is supposed to be coming in she said for a bit and she will get him to look at it and then she said he would more than likely show it to an electrophisiologist there in their group. Thanks to all... Mimi

Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
    seaecho
    (female)

seaecho HB User

Mimi, read this. The first sentence should put your mind at ease.

[url]http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020615/2491.html[/url]

From what I understand from this article, written by two doctors at the Medical University in S. Carolina, in someone with no established cardiac disease, this arrhythmia doesn't even need to be treated! Its more of a nuisance than anything. I think you are panicking, and then Googling too much, and only reading parts of articles, and not the whole thing, thus scaring yourself by not looking at the whole picture.

I do the same thing - don't get me wrong. I really get terrified when my heart acts up badly from MVP, but you have to keep in mind that many of these arrhythmias FEEL a lot worse than they really are. I have been convinced hundreds of times that I was going to drop over dead at any moment, but after eleven years of this, I'm still here! And healthy too. Please take that article to heart, try to calm down and wait for your doctor to call and reassure you that you'll be just fine. Please keep me updated - these irregular heartbeats can really take a toll on us, can't they?

Randi

Old 01-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User

Seaecho.Thanks for posting to this! I heard from my cardiologist FINALLY. talked to his nurse this a,m.. and it was her that actually called back this aft. ( it sort of makes me mad that he didn't get on the phone) anyway...she said that he is referring me to another electrophisiologist (sp) in his group.. ( he is a cardiologist and i didn't care for the other one I used to see there) He doesn't wnat me to do any "strenuous" exercise before I get the electro docs opinion. She said he was glad I captured it on the event monitor. duhhhh.. it felt like a fish was in my heart flopping around at break neck speed!! I am an emotional wreck..but have sworn that 2007 will not be A TURBULENT time for me. I will take what life throws at me this yr. and just go with it. I do have to wonder if I've had a silent heart attack??? I was in the ER in Austin ept. 28th with chest pains ( and I haven't gone to an er in yrs and yrs, because they scare me so much) but the pain was really bad. I was hooke dup and monitored for about 2 hrs., an d the blood gas thing they did was fine. It subsided, and dr.. actually it was a heart er..so he was a cardiologist..said I was not haing a Heart Attack. Everything my husband an dI have read on this "ACCELERATED IDIO VENTRICULAR ARRHYTHMIA" says it is usually from ishemia (sp) or a previous H/att. I'm just waiting for the electro nurse to call me back and get me in asap. What bothers me , is when I asked if I culd walk on the treadmill, sheh said he wanted me to do my regular activities, but not any exercise or strenuous activities... HAPPY NEW YR. TO ME.. Having a lil pity party here. LENNIN.. HWRE THE HECK ARE YOU?? I was wanting your input!!

Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

Mimi,

Your going to be okay. How long did it take for that the episode to subside?
    I had an episode on Dec 30th last year and it was my first in 5 years and it freaked me out big time also. Did the Xanax help slow your rate down?
    Are you on anything to help prevent the episodes?

The last one I had, I took a xanax and an atenolol and it was down in 40 minutes. Ask the doctor for a ECG or echocardiogram to make sure your don't have an enlarged heart.

Your episode sounded like all of mine. Got up off the couch and wammo the heart just goes off for no reason. As long as you are able to get them down and you have no heart condition then there is nothing to worry.

They may try to talk you into getting ablation, but I have heard that the procedure does not have that great of success rate.

Trust me, I have lived with these for 16 years and they are definately no fun! Especially when you pile stress and anxiety on top of it!

good luck,
    lyl

Last edited by lylone; 01-03-2007 at 04:48 AM.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User

Lil!! Thanks so much for responding. My "episode" thnakfully only lasted about 15-20 sec. I just have these about every 3 weeks or so. BUT I have never felt these before around October. I am under a LOT of stress, more than I need to be. I wonder if it could be the stress? BUT everything I have read on here and in health books says it is USUALY from a previous heart attack.. WHAT DID YOUR DOC TELL YOU?? Have you had a H/Att?? I still have the event monitor on. I have to wear it untill 1-18-07. I feel THANKFUL that I captured the episode. Now the EP doc will take me seriously. He had started to treat me as though i was a hypocondriac. I was having tons of PVC's. I had almost 21,000 on a 48 hr holtor monitor. But...I wasn't having runs, and now I am. They also used to be benign in nature per him.. I used to have the occ. couplet, but last night I started not to even press the button when I felt this little flutter thing, and when I played it back for the tech, there was a RUN of 6 somethings. I got it out of her that it was atrial.. THEN..she said.. oh.."i think it is a short run of SVT". Well, isn't SVT?? Said it was 3 seconds, and it jumped up to 120 bpm. Said dr's "criteria" for calling an episode in was 150 bpm. I just got a call from the EP doc and I am fuming. I cannot get in untill next wed. the 10th. I am sitting around like a toy soldier, afraid to move. Why can't they see me ? I am TRYING to keep my emotions in check . My NEW YRS. RESOLUTION. Life is geting a lil fragile for me lately... so I HAVE to quit getting so upset over things I have no control over. I worry a great deal over things I really have no control over anyway. I DO NOT want an EP study. I will go to Houson to the Heart Institute of Texas for a second opinion before THAT!! Thanks again!!

Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 AM   #7
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

Mimi,

No, I have not had a heart attack and I have lived with SVTs since I was 19. Just had all of my tests in the last year and they found nothing. Please try to stay calm and say some prayers until the 10th. Someone from above is looking down at you and I am sure he will keep you safe.

lyl

Old 01-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
    ww23river
    (female)

ww23river HB User

I'm 28 years and I had these weird heart beats since my early 20's...it just comes out of no where like a different rhythm (alittle faster) for about half a minute...i don't know what it is...could this be the same thing? I'm so confused at what it could be...

Old 01-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

It could be, but its best to have them checked out by a cardio since it can be symptom of a more serious condition. Examples would be Mitro-Valve Prolapse or Cardiomyopathy. Do have it checked out.

Closed Thread