It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Worried about heart @18

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
    violoncello
    (male)

violoncello HB User
    Worried about heart @18

Hi,

Well first off, here are my stats:
    Height:5'11"
    Weight: 170
    I am around average....I have little fat on my arms and legs, but I have a belly.

I started working out for the first time about two months ago. Lately I have been worrying that there is something wrong with my heart. Last year I thought I was having problems because I often felt my heart way too distinctly and felt thirsty and weak all of the time. Sometimes my left arm was cold and I often had trouble falling asleep also. I got a ton of tests done (blood, ekg, 24 hour monitor, and something that resembled an ultrasound for the heart). My doctors insisted there was nothing wrong with me and it could have been anxiety linked (for 2 months) and eventually the symptoms went away.

Sorry for that long into but I just wanted to get out that I once thought I had a heart condition. Well my routine includes weights, then cardio. I do my cardio on an eliptical. My question is concerning how high my heart rate should be for how much work I do. I will often see an older person doing a similar thing while their heart rate is around 110, and mine will be 170. What I normally do it 20 min, which gets me about 1.8 miles. My heart rate peaks at 175ish but will stay around 165. Today I did 30 min and got 2.8 miles, with my heart rate topping at 175ish as well. Is this a very small distance and intensity to have such a high heart rate? I do vary the incline and resistance so that is also a factor.

When I run, I will run about a mile in 10-12 min depending on the day. I run 6.5 mph and my heart rate will go up to 180.

During my 5 min cool down, my heart rate will generally drop to 140.

I just need to know if this is a cause for concern. I feel like I am doing little work for how high my heart rate gets.

Thanks,
    John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
    Love and War
    Inactive
    (male)

Love and War HB User
    Re: Worried about heart @18

My heart rate is always at least 135 BPM when working out. I would say my heart rate reaches about 200 BPM when exercising intensly. I run a mile in 6:20 so it's a bit different from your situation.

If you're really worried about it talk to your doctor about having a stress test.

Closed Thread